Third candidate to enter House race

John House

John House

ALBANY, Ga. — Retired U.S. Army Col. John M. House told a Lee County GOP gathering on Saturday that he would be formally announcing his candidacy for the Republican nomination in Georgia’s Second Congressional District to challenge U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop Jr., an Albany Democrat.

House, from Midland, said Monday that he expects to officially enter the race on Thursday.

He plans to join Rick Allen of Columbus and Lee Ferrell of Leesburg on July’s GOP primary ballot. Allen and Ferrell also ran for the spot in 2010, losing in the primary to eventual Republican nominee Mike Keown, who lost a close general election to Bishop that November.

“When I look around the Second District and I see how much our quality of life has gone downhill since Sanford Bishop has been in office, I decided it was time for a change. And I think I am the person to make those changes,” House said.

House is a state GOP committee member for the Second District and teaches Homeland Security courses at Columbus State University. He also teaches online classes at Walden and North Central universities.

House said his campaign had already raised more than $30,000 since Jan. 5, with pledges for more.

Bishop, first elected to the House in 1992, is seeking his 10th two-year term in Congress.

Comments

LuLu 2 years, 6 months ago

Glad to have you on board! I can't wait to hear more. Bishop has GOT to go.

VSU 2 years, 6 months ago

Not going to happen! Too many welfare voters.

Cartman 2 years, 6 months ago

And the new 2nd District lines were drawn to insure that the close call that Bishop had last time - won't happen again. They took out Republican Thomas County and gave us part of Macon and more of South Columbus. We're sunk, but at least it will help out Austin Scott in the 8th District. As you pointed out, we're now drowning in welfare voters.

msa651 2 years, 6 months ago

Using Mark Levin statement on voting for the president,

I would vote for a can of orange juice before I would vote for Stanford Bishop again

reb_arty1863 2 years, 6 months ago

Not a homeland security proponent.The only worse thing is an EPA supporter. TSA is an abomination. They will steal your cupcakes.

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the link, LuLu. How do I make a campaign contribution? Maybe this year we can succeed in Booting Bishop! Washington is broken and Bishop is a party to that fact. The Albany Journal and the website, BigGovernment.com, publshed a story last week about Bishop's wife being accused of check fraud. Too bad The Herald and WALB didn't catch that stroy.