‘Justice’ going for cheap in Lee County

Carlton Fletcher

Carlton Fletcher

Justice is gone. Pulling your strings. Justice is done. Seeking no truth. Winning is all.

— Metallica

Justice has a price in Lee County. And the going rate right now is $181.

That’s the “punishment” meted out in the Lee County court system for a low-life who attacked — absolutely without provocation — a child and the child’s mother one recent evening when he had nothing better to do. You know, drink a few brews, go out and kick a 12-year-old boy who’s minding his own business, playing in front of his house with his 8-year-old sister. And then kick his mother when she intervenes.

Then let law enforcement protect you when someone a little closer to your size comes around.

When word got around that this was not the coward in question’s first such attack — obviously he’s someone who doesn’t have the heart to go after a victim who’s much more than half his size — the wheels of local justice started turning. The victims were assured that this time would be different.

But see, this was not some poor gang-banger from an inner-city ghetto. This was someone from “a good family” who “usually doesn’t act this way but sometimes has issues.” All his enablers rallied around and told the right people that he was really a very good guy, maybe a little misunderstood, and suddenly the cowardly and vicious attacks on two innocent people didn’t matter so much anymore.

And officials who’d promised to keep the victims “informed” about the progress in the case against this criminal kept their word by sending out a form letter that said, essentially, the physical damage this creep caused you two, and the psychological damage he inflicted on the 8-year-old who witnessed it, cost him $181. Yeah, about what it would take to pick up a few extra sixers.

Justice, it seems, comes cheap in Lee County.

Now, let’s just imagine for a moment that this thug hadn’t been from a good family and didn’t live in one of those neighborhoods that Lee County trots out when it talks about “quality of life.” Let’s suppose for a second that this person had been from the ghetto or — heaven forbid — even a black teenager. Anyone think that $181 would have been enough to settle this matter?

How much weight would the assurances that “he’s a good guy who just had a bad moment” from that kid’s mother — or his oddly involved next-door neighbor buddy — have carried?

I told someone I know well about this case shortly after it happened — this was a person who’s seen, heard and done a lot in his lifetime — and he said, “There was a time when, if some sorry man attacked a woman or a kid like that, a certain group would pay him a visit and it was pretty much a guarantee it would never happen again.”

I chuckled at the implication and said, “Yeah, but that was a different time. I think we’ve gotten beyond that now. Now we have to let justice take its course.”

When I heard what kind of justice this coward received, it made me think again about what my buddy had said. And, God help me, there are moments when I find myself looking backward instead of forward.

I know, I know. People like this low-life are subject to a justice that’s much longer lasting in the end. And I agree that karma sometimes has a way of turning inward on one so vile. But while we’re waiting for divine justice and karma to kick in, this creep’s got his eye on some other kid, just waiting for another bad moment.

I guess we can just hope and pray the next victim doesn’t end up in the hospital or the morgue. That might push the tab all the way up to $300.

Email Carlton Fletcher at carlton.fletcher@albanyherald.com.

Comments

reb_arty1863 2 years, 10 months ago

Good job Carlton. Exposure of "being above the law" should always be the job of the press. Even the liberal side of the press.

waltspecht 2 years, 10 months ago

Kind of makes me ashamed of Lee County's Court System. Seems to me the least charge should have been Assault with Intent. I believe that's a Felony in most areas. Reminds me of the guy that dealt with the Mother and Child at WalMart's in Atlanta. I don't think he got off that easy. If the Family is that influentual, it's time to remove the politicians they influence. This is just plain wrong, especially as it doesn't seem to be an isolated instance. I never thought Carlton would admit the Klan had anything right about what it did. For that would be the group he was referring too.

Black_Falcon 2 years, 10 months ago

You mean to tell me that Black children from the inner city receive harsher treatment from the justice system than some child from a "good family" and from a "good neighborhood"? I NEVER would have thought that.

Jacob 2 years, 10 months ago

Sure Carlton, black people around here never get lenient sentences for anything. Especially connected ones...

Duane_Kelley 2 years, 10 months ago

Jacob dont make this issue about black and white if you know anything about the U.S. judicial system clearly you have seen where many black people get heavier penalties for similar crimes.....Do some 'connected' black families get lenient sentences....absolutely....but I willing to bet you the the former far outweighs the latter

Jacob 2 years, 10 months ago

It's not about color Duane. It's about money and power. Poor people get screwed in the system, black ones and white ones. Carlton is the one who made it a black and white issue.

Black_Falcon 2 years, 10 months ago

Duane, I will say that you are right. Jacob, I will say that you are right too. It is about money and power. However, since more white people have money and power in America than blacks, it appears more racial than class.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 10 months ago

I musta missed something, Has this case been in the news? Who is this about?

LuLu 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm with you! I don't know what this is about, either,

Shinedownfan 2 years, 10 months ago

Guess I should have been reading the Lee County Ledger a little closer, cause I have seen nothing about it in the Herald... until now.

Engineer 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, this is news to me. It seems that the Lee County good ole boy system sure didn't want this news out.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like the Good Ole Boy system is still hard at work in Lee Co (it was like that when I lived there 20 years ago). I wonder who the judge was... I bet I could guess.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 10 months ago

Is there a name to attach to this thug?

BeenThere_DoneThat 2 years, 10 months ago

Apparently we won't read it because you can't access the Lee County Leger on the web because you have to pay to read it with a subscription. Lee County sure covers all the bases don't they. They want you to pay to read their scandels. I like the idea of old justice. See how mommy and daddy react to that. Money buys alot but not everything.