Ex-FBI agent claims gun left in Publix restroom

Children found this Sig Sauer pistol in the men’s restroom at the Lee County Publix Monday and told the manager, who gave the gun to the Lee Sheriff’s Office.

LEESBURG, Ga. — A former federal law enforcement officer who showed up Wednesday to claim the .40-caliber Sig Sauer pistol left in a Publix Supermarket men’s room Tuesday was apologetic, embarrassed and grateful, Lee County Sheriff Reggie Rachals said.

The gun belonged to 60-year-old David Hallman, a Lee County resident who used the men’s room at the store at 1212 S. Highway 19, washed his hands and left the weapon on a sink, Rachals said.

“He was just glad no one found it and misused it for anything illegal, and that no one was hurt,” Rachals said. “The teenagers who found it acted in a mature and responsible way.”

A retired FBI agent, Hallman has a carry permit issued in Lee County, Rachals said. He came in the sheriff’s office Wednesday morning with proof of ownership and took his gun, he added.

The Sig Sauer with 12 hollow-point bullets in the magazine was found by two teenagers who turned it over to a manager at the Publix. The manager immediately called sheriff’s deputies.

Deputies ran the gun’s serial number through the Georgia Crime Information Center database and got no reports that it was stolen.

As a matter of procedure, Rachals said, he told the Lee County Probate Court, which issues firearms license applications, about the lost and recovered gun.

Comments

waltspecht 2 years, 10 months ago

I know I shouldn't ask, but why would you lay a firearm on the sink while you wash your hands? I understand protocol when in a stall and the weapon ios waist holstered is to remove it and lay it on the roll holder, but why a wet sink while you wash your hands?

Jacob 2 years, 10 months ago

Probably re-tucking pants and adjusting belt and holster. It's easier to do with the weapon out. I'm guessing it was a one a million mistake. He would not have been able to complete a full carreer with the FBI if he had been consistanly careless with a firearm.

Amazed2 2 years, 10 months ago

Certainly not defending that it was dumb to leave it there but I have to think it was just a "Brain Fart". I personally have done a few stupid things that obviously I did not plan to but I was distracted and maybe thinking of what I was going to do or needed to do rather than what I was doing at the moment. Unfortunately this Brain Fart invoved a gun. But I am sure he will not do this one again. Has to be very embarressing for him so he won't soon forget. And I think he should seek out those two yound teens if has not already and personally thank them for doing the right thing in this matter otherwise the ending could have not been so good. I am sure most if not all of us have had a Brain Fart or two in life.

Puzzled 2 years, 10 months ago

Well, I'm not so sympathetic! He should be charged with something like criminal negligence and, at a minimum, lose his permit to carry a gun. What if a young child would have found the gun? What if a criminal would have found the gun? The outcome could have been tragic. Surely, he was trained to be able to wash his hands without laying a loaded gun on a sink. Surely, he was trained to carry a gun without having to touch it unless he intended to use it.

Jacob 2 years, 10 months ago

I guess he's not perfect like you and Jesus, Puzzled. He made a mistake. He adimitted it. He's embarrassed. Get over it.

bubbavet 2 years, 10 months ago

WOULDN'T IT BE NICE TO SEE IT HAPPEN TO "PUZZLED". THE FLIP FLOP WOULD BE SO FAST THEY WOULD BREAK THEIR NECK. I APPLAUD SHERIFF RACHALS FOR USING COMMON SENSE . BE GLAD IT DIDN'T HAPPEN IN "DIRTY" COUNTY. HE WOULD SERVE BIG TIME.

Black_Falcon 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't see what the big deal is. Had this guy not been a retired FBI agent, this story would have never made the news.

Jimboob 2 years, 10 months ago

It was already news before Mr. Hallman came forward. I thought it would have been a robber who lost his nerve.

justme 2 years, 9 months ago

Probably one of WERNIKS and BUTTERMILK boys.