Former GBI specialist launches campaign for Dougherty Coroner

Michael Fowler says he's assisted with investigations from the flood in 1994 to the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Michael Fowler kicks off his campaign to become the county's next coroner Wednesday at the Government Center.

— A former specialist with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation told supporters Wednesday he intends to run for Dougherty County Coroner.

Michael Fowler said during a campaign rally in front of the Government Center Wednesday that he has worked death investigations for more than 17 years, ranging from the floods of 1994 to the terrorist attacks of 9/11 and that he is uniquely qualified to be the county's next coroner.

The county's current coroner, Emma Quimbley, is up for re-election this year.

"My experience in death investigation began 17 years ago as a death investigation specialist and forensic pathology assistant with the GBI Crime Lab," Fowler said. "...now I want to bring my service and expertise home to the office of Coroner for Dougherty County."

Fowler pledged to work with law enforcement in what he said would be an effort to reduce crime, to raise the expectations and awareness of the office of coroner through his education and experience, to be a role model for students and to ensure integrity and honesty to the office.

Fowler is the first candidate to emerge for the 2012 Dougherty County election cycle. Three county commissioners, the sheriff, the district attorney and the coroner are each up for re-election.

Coroners generally handle deaths that occur within their counties. They are ultimately responsible for determining the cause of death, such as heart attack or a gun shot wound, and manner of death, such as natural causes or homicide.

Coroners have the unique ability to call an "inquest," any time there is a dispute over the cause or manner of death of an individual. During these mini trials, witnesses are called and the coroner serves essentially as a judge.

In addition to their jobs dealing with deaths, the coroner also serves as the ex officio sheriff in the event that the office becomes vacant.

For a complete history on coroners, click HERE.

Comments

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 9 months ago

J.D. can you give a side by side comparison of Emma Quimbley and Michael Fowler’ s qualifications? Typically the race for county coroner does not draw a lot of attention but Mr. Fowler may have just raised the bar and be someone we need to look at more closely. No disrespect to Ms. Quimbley but if all things are equal I would be willing to vote for Mr. Fowler based simply for his desire to return to Albany as a role model with integrity and honesty for our youth. If Mr. Fowler is sincere in his desire to be a role model he could be a builder for the Tomorrow of Albany.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 9 months ago

Do you remember Quimbley wanting police lights for her vehicle? I sure do and if she is so insistent on wasting taxpayer money then she will never have my vote. Oh yeah, and then there was the controversy over her being accused of stealing jewelry from someone who was deceased.

joeyklinda 2 years, 9 months ago

You have my support...............

waltspecht 2 years, 9 months ago

Do you mean someone that is actually trained and qualified might get elected to this job? Would bring a whole lot of value to this Office that has so long existed as a money source for the poorly trained.

truevoice 2 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Fowler has my support as well. When looking at what a Coroner does, I would much rather have someone with his experience and expertise looking into death investigations. If one of my loved ones were to die suspiciouly, I think I would much rather have someone who has the expertise of working for the GBI for years and who has the compassion of working Ground Zero to be the person finding out what really happened and actually caring about it.

Justice4Moma 2 years, 9 months ago

Strong I Wish you all the luck in the world.And yeah,i know you could do a better job than the one who is in there now.I still dont know why my Mother died.And the City of Albany stood right behind her,when i had a police report of her taking my Moms jewelry.And By the way that case is still pending.Just becuase the good ole boy system stuck together to portect her,dont stop this Daughters Fight for her Mothers Rights.Or mine. We need someone who knows what they are doing.She told me my Mom died of a heart attack,then the Doctor wrote it on her Death Cert. that it was COPD.Can you die from COPD?Now she based this on just seeing a part of my Mothers Body from under her bed.Way to go?She should have been more intrested in my Mother,than getting on TV telling lies about me and my Mom.But i have handed it over to the Lord.He will see that Mom and i both get JUSTICE,cause you sure cant get it from the crooked Judges,and others in Albany.Right Nathan? Again good luck to you.And GOD Bless

Justice4Moma 2 years, 6 months ago

Since Deal appointed him to be head of the State Board of Funreal Services,will he still run for Coroner of Albany?