Freeman: University largely exonerated in Board of Regents review

The University was found to have allowed students to enroll who hadn't met University entry requirements.

Everette Freeman is president of Albany State University.

Everette Freeman is president of Albany State University.

— Albany State University President Everette Freeman says that the university is taking immediate and substantial steps following a probe by the University System of Georgia Board of Regents that found that the university had improperly admitted students who failed to meet academic entry requirements.

Speaking to students, faculty and staff at a town hall meeting at noon Friday on campus, Freeman said that the investigation brought by the regents came after a letter was sent by the Albany chapter of the American Association of University Professors alleging a wide range of regents policy abuses at the school, including financial mismanagement, fraud and even improper use of human test subjects for research purposes.

Following the investigation, Freeman said that only one of the claims was ultimately substantiated by the BOR’s investigative team — that the university had improperly admitted students who failed to meet its academic admission requirements which use benchmarks on standardized tests such as the SAT or ACT and grade point average.

“There were students who were admitted who did not meet the university’s admission requirements,” Freeman said. “I can tell you that immediately after learning of this, we put corrective actions in place that we believe should prevent it from happening again.”

According to the report from the regents, which was obtained by The Albany Herald, while some of the claims brought by the AAUP were either partially or fully substantiated, the vast majority of the claims in the 10-page AAUP letter were found to be unfounded.

“...the AAUP letter contains a variety of broad characterizations that include general allegations, but lack enough specificity to be construed as matters which can be reviewed and assessed in terms of their factual accuracy,” the report states. “Ultimately, our review indicated these broad characterizations and accusations could not be substantiated.”

In addition to the admission findings, the report also finds that the university should’ve better safe-guarded student records — an action Freeman says has already been taken — and that students with disabilities had not been given proper accommodations while on campus — an issue Freeman also said has been corrected.

The Board of Regents permits university presidents to allow up to 20 percent of an incoming fall freshman class to enter even if they don’t meet all of the admission requirements.

Freeman said that those are typically students who had a high grade-point-average in high school but, for whatever reason, didn’t do well on either the SAT or ACT.

“In those instances, what we should’ve done, and what I’m recommending, is to have referred any of those students who didn’t qualify as a candidate for a four-year degree at Albany State to one of the area’s access institutions like Waycross or Darton or Bainbridge where they can get their two-year degree and then come to Albany State University and get their baccalaureate degree,” Freeman said.

The students who were allowed in without meeting the requirements, 351 in the fall of 2011 alone, will receive additional educational help through remediation or access to study help, Freeman said.

Despite the fact the students who were admitted failed to meet the admission requirements, Freeman said that they were only slightly underperforming compared to the students who were properly admitted.

Freeman also pointed to two leadership changes that he told the audience were voluntary.

The first involves Abiodun Ojemakinde, the current vice president of academic affairs. Freeman said he has asked and received permission to be relinquished of his duties and will focus full-time on teaching.

Freeman also said that the university’s chief information officer, Virginia L. Stewart, submitted her resignation in early January. She is currently slated to serve as special projects manager in the short term, Freeman said.

AAUP Chapter President Donald Kagay, who wrote the letter that started the investigation, did not return attempts by the Herald seeking comment.

Comments

boyoboy 2 years, 3 months ago

The infractions began in '08? That means those so called "students" have been given their diplomas by now. WOW!

Jacob 2 years, 3 months ago

Well, they duped the DCSS to accept #34 and take him off their hands. Maybe they will continue to improve.

waltspecht 2 years, 3 months ago

How many of those inapproiate students actually made the grade? Thereby deserving of the break. If they did, then it is all for the good. If they didn't, then it was all for the HOPE and Loan and Grant money.

LuLu 2 years, 3 months ago

I wonder if Mayor Hubbard could be involved? She did just recently retire from the Financial Aid department.

whattheheck 2 years, 3 months ago

If she did, must have worked for free. Not from 2008 forward at ASU.

VSU 2 years, 3 months ago

No surprise there, I've always felt their diplomas wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. Just because you have a piece of paper doesn't mean you have an education.

Black_Falcon 2 years, 3 months ago

Your statement should read ...their diplomas were not worth the paper they were printed on. (Subject-verb agreement is important)

I wasn't going to comment, but since you were speaking about education, I couldn't resist.

LuLu 2 years, 3 months ago

Well then, if we're going to get really ticky about it, it should read ".... their diplomas were not worth the paper on which they were written".

VSU 2 years, 3 months ago

May it be I might been in a hurry and diddint pay attension to what I be typeping. i's seen other peoples mispell wurds and have po grammurr, but I not stick my nose in their busnuss cus I understands whats they be talkin bout.. So yous jest don't wurry bout wut I says and no being wurring bout it. I's dont sticks my nose in yo bisness, I's apprecate it, yo dont stick yo's in mine. But donts wurry, the sun gonna shine on dis wurld agin.

Sally_O 2 years, 3 months ago

You're stupid if you can't recognize sarcasm when you see it.

Sally_O 2 years, 3 months ago

Gee BF is that the only thing you can contribute to this story....playing school teacher? I always thought you were a cool down to earth person, but deep inside you have a little jerk inside you.

Black_Falcon 2 years, 3 months ago

Don't we all? Besides its Friday and I was having a little fun. I can't be pithy all the time.

Sally_O 2 years, 3 months ago

Yes we do..., everybody has a little devil in them. He! He!

Duane_Kelley 2 years, 3 months ago

clearly evident based on your comment(s)....

Sally_O 2 years, 3 months ago

I believe VSU was being sarcastic, but I guess you are too stupid & ignorant to figure that out.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 3 months ago

I beg the differ, ASU is a great place to learn. You cant knock it until you try it!

Back off, your opinion is noted, Go positive and see what happens!

I love ASU!!!!!

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree--as a former employee of ASU, it is a great institution with the best students. Every school in this country has it warts and problems, and ASU is no exception. They are taking steps to insure that these students are getting the help they need. These are what I call threshold students. They were so close to making the grade the on the tests. Give them a chance--give ASU a chance. GO RAMS

bubbavet 2 years, 3 months ago

AS A GRADUATE OF ASU .I KNOW FIRST HAND GRADES WERE GIVEN NOT EARNED TO A LOT OF BLACKS. IT WAS COME KNOWLEDGE NOT TO WORRY ABOUT YOUR GRADE YOU WOULD GET AT LEAST A "C". THAT WAS BEFORE THE HOPE SCHOLARSHIP. REMEMBER. WHAT THEY DID TO DR. BURGESS.? SOMEONE WITH A 59 AVERAGE MAKING A 99 ON A COMPREHENSIVE FINAL GET REAL.

Royalstar 2 years, 3 months ago

Several years ago my wife was the office magager at a company here. She hired a girl that lacked one quarter having a degree in computer science from Albany State. One night a storm was coming through so my wife told the girl to make sure the computers were shut down. The next morning the computers wouldn't come up so my wife asked the girl if she shut down the computers the night before and she said yes. My wife looked at the computer and the girl had turned the monitor off but the computers were still turned on. Go Albany State.

whateverPHD 2 years, 3 months ago

I have a degree in computer science from Albany State AND because of that degree i also have a PhD in computer science from MIT that i obtain in only 4 years...so for your information ASU PREPARED ME well for my doctoral studies and I'm now a researcher/professor at a research one institution...so yes "Go Albany State"......smh, some people in GA are so stupid.

bubbavet 2 years, 3 months ago

LET ME GUESS WHAT DIFFERENT STANDARDS THERE ARE MINORITIES? DUH!!

Black_Falcon 2 years, 3 months ago

I have a PhD in clinical psychology with an emphasis in neurology from UGA (Go Dawgs). One of the things I am sure you were taught in your research classes is not to generalize from small samples. While I am sure ASU prepared YOU well, and I am happy for your accomplishments, even you must admit that for an institution to admit hundreds of students who did meet the university's admission criteria is cause for concern.

There are people who are in charge of the admissions department. And I am sure those people make alot of money. For this type of "oversight" to occur is a travesty and someone should be held accountable. Moreover, this type of embarrassment strikes at the very core of the university's academic integrity. And if ASU is to ever be considered a tier one university, like the one you work at, such mishaps cannot and should not be allowed to occur.

whateverPHD 2 years, 3 months ago

@Black_Falcon: You are certainly right that my doctoral classes at MIT taught me not to generalize from small samples...so why is it okay that people in Albany, GA and on this particular board can willingly say that ASU produces 'bad" students because of ONE student they meet or heard about....i find it interesting that you didn't respond to Royalstar comments...but elected to respond to mine. Therefore you are accepting Royalstar generalization based on a small sample and not mine.....your credibility as researcher is flawed...AND i'm sure UGA taught you better. It seems to me that you do not like ASU for some reason.

And for the record, I graduated from MIT with three other ASU graduates. During my enrollment at MIT there were a total of 12 ASU graduates enrolled and were/are performing well and will soon be graduating with PhDs (it they have not already).

Also for the record, at the current university where I teach and neighboring universities (Research I institutions) there are at least 15 ASU graduates who are professors/researchers. So why many people in Albany GA claim to be meeting "bad" graduates....I meet exceptional ASU graduates daily and i'm in another state.

Albany, GA has always been a bigoted place...i shouldn't be surprised at comments here....Albany citizens can not wait for bad news to be released about ASU. Darton College got a negative audit review as well and I don't see any negative comments about its review.

STOP CELEBRATING IN THE MISHAPS OF ASU.... ASU WILL CONTINUE WITH OR WITHOUT YOUR SUPPORT.

Black_Falcon 2 years, 3 months ago

Some comments such as the one made by Royalstar are so ignorant they do not desrve the time it would take to write a response, but your point is well taken.

For the record, I am a proud supporter of ASU. I have family members (CLOSE family menbers) who graduated from ASU and are now professors at the university). The point I was attempting to make is that for ASU to take that next step, their level of academic integrity MUST be beyond incidents such as this. And, while I support and will continue to support ASU to the last, I feel contructive criticism must be levid at the powers that be in cases of wrong doing. Especially if that criticism is not overly critical, based in facts, and designed to make the university a better place for all. To do otherwise would be a grave injustice to the students and future students of ASU.

ASU_Grad 2 years, 3 months ago

I have a degree in computer science from ASU and I have been working as a programmer for years in the field and currently I'm working on my master's in CS. You can't lump 1 bad person with all graduates and think everyone is inadequate. South Georgia ignorance at it's best...

Black_Falcon 2 years, 3 months ago

Universities are "known" by their academic reputation (or sports reputation, depending on why you are going to school). This incident strikes at the core of ASU academic integrity. To allow hundreds of students, who did not meet the school's admissions criteria, negatively impacts the "worth" of their degrees. As an alumni, or future alumni, I would have serious concerns about this, Further, I would voice my concerns to the President and demand that someone be held acountable.

ASU_Grad 2 years, 3 months ago

My reply was for RoyalStar's example of an ASU CS student. Yes I agree this issue needs to be addressed, but to say all graduates are not bright or not on par with other schools is making a blanket statement. Just seems like only certain school's issues make it to the news while others are swept under the rug and/or not commented on...

Russ 2 years, 3 months ago

As Churchill once said: "This is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put."

PatrickY2K 2 years, 3 months ago

How does a school accidently ignore the admission requirements set by the University System and admit hundreds of unqualified students? Freeman is proud that this is the only infraction found by the Regents? Are the newly placed "corrective actions" just making sure the person reading the applications is conscious?

This is embarrassing....for them.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 3 months ago

Wait...they have requirements????

bubbasmithredneck 2 years, 3 months ago

I thought it was funny when he (Mr. Freeman) said that his unqualified students should start at Darton College first then transfer...........that was a low blow

whateverPHD 2 years, 3 months ago

well Darton College is a TWO YEAR college...so i don't see what the problem is...I think its funny that everyone on this board is quick to respond to ASU's finding but there are NO comments about Darton's Audit that was release today http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2012...

PatrickY2K 2 years, 3 months ago

MIshandling documents is serious, but does not compare to admitting a large number of unqualified students. ASU's problem goes to the top, and warrants someone getting fired. Will anyone be held responsible for this? Doubtful.

SweetLou 2 years, 3 months ago

Well Doctor, I’m sure that somewhere along your path to your PhD you were taught the difference between fraud, abuse of power / position and flagrant disregard for established policies and the failure to properly secure records and computer files. I know that I was; at home by my father.

What you, and a lot of like-minded people like you fail to recognize and address is the systemic, endemic, and cultural group-think of the black leaders in this community that insist they make and follow their own rules; not the rule of government or the rest of society. Every single scandal of the past few years can be ultimately traced back to the notion that if one is in a position of authority and power in this community that they are subject to no other authority than their own. Congratulations sir on your doctorate and from a truly outstanding institution.

agirl_25 2 years, 3 months ago

High 5 SweetLou, excellent post and well said. If you believe the Professor has a doctorate from MIT that was obtained after 4 years of study at ASU I have some excellent farmland here in the swampy part of SW Georgia on my farm I would like to sell you. But back to your post, you did make an excellent point.....that of the LET'S MAKE OUR OWN RULES AS WE GO ALONG mentality. I have this vision of us all in a hot place, fire all around, us rubbing our eyes and asking "where am I and what am I doing in his handbasket?" Is this where we are headed?

whateverPHD 2 years, 3 months ago

@agirl_25A: I don't need you are anybody else to believe I have a PhD from MIT...the fact of the matter is that I DO....AND I'm a proud graduate of ASU too. Don't be jealous and I know you can't stand to see the success of ASU graduates.

@SweetLou & @PatrickY2K: I totally understand your position...but the problem I have with the citizens of Albany, GA is the fact that they continue to "try" to make ASU a "low-rate" institution when the school have many exceptional graduates. If the comments on this board was directed at the "issue" and the actual "persons" involved I wouldn't have a problem...but to try to down the university and its graduates is a flaw.

Also, please don't lump me into some "like-minded" category.

agirl_25 2 years, 3 months ago

I am not jealous, whatever, but knowing what it takes to earn a PhD from a school such as MIT, I still doubt you have one from there. We can go round till the cows come home but I am not going to believe it. As I said, I know what it takes to get in to MIT and I don't think someone graduating directly from ASU would be able to get into the Doctoral program there. Also, knowing that MIT has such high standards for admission to its PhD program, why would you even attempt to apply? ASU is not a top notch school, not even one that MIT would even consider recruiting from, not one that has excellent research facilities. Sorry, but I am one of those who doesn't like to have someone tinkle on my leg and tell me it is raining. OK I am done....the end of discussion.

bubbavet 2 years, 3 months ago

IF THE SHOE FITS PHD "Piled High @Deep" Real Deep YOU LIVE IN YOUR OWN DREAM WORLD

firefly 2 years, 3 months ago

Oops. Did these graduates happen to become school teachers for DCSS? Just wondering how deep this issue goes....

Amazed2 2 years, 3 months ago

Anybody wonder why new housing starts are significantly up in LEE COUNTY as reported by WALB.

Amazed2 2 years, 3 months ago

Well it is just part of the scam of the kids. If you run them thru the DCSS and they cannot read and write you can't just dump them on the street you have to send the to college and Cheat Them in the admission process. The is what is called continuing education the Dougherty County way. After all they have been makig decent CRCT scores so how can you admit that they can't read. Just cheat the system at ASU and let them in anyway even though they cannot meet the ASU minimum standards which are already set much lower that most other colleges and univeresities. Guess this is kind of like lower than lower admissions. Well, I know the DCSS has a number of Teachers with ASU degree's but I wonder what the actual count is, Well at leasr we have #34 from ASU to oversee to process of merging our DCSS products into the ASU I almost meet system.

Amazed2 2 years, 3 months ago

Ie one question did the 350+ accidents get qualified for federal and state funds, loans or grants. If so and I am sure some if not most did then this is worst than the DCSS Lunch Fraud and DCSS CRCT Cheating. It is flagrant defrauding of the system and TAX Dollars. Probably means that some other Qualified Students somewhere did not get the funds since 351 Unqualified did?///////

whattheheck 2 years, 3 months ago

I think it is a given that grants et al were given to the unqualified. We will never see how many since no one will pursue. But it always happens.

waltspecht 2 years, 3 months ago

I guess Dr.Freeman feels it is OK that they did allow the students in, because there isn't sufficient proof the other alligations are true? Come on now, none of it should have happened. Just because there isn't sufficient proof, doesn't mean the rest didn't happen either. About like saying I missed him with five bullets, and only hit him with one, so it was OK to shoot him.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 3 months ago

ASU - We dearly love you! when you go negative, we go to God for prayer. Since 1903 before all of us were born, and ASU will be here when we're all gone. Get over it, ASU is here to stay, and surely your negative opinion will not matter to the one's that love ASU.

Time out, step back, please enroll today! Go ASU.

justme 2 years, 3 months ago

Bunch of rednecks, just go on about your business and let everyone else do their thing.......

Sally_O 2 years, 3 months ago

That's right, leave those cheaters alone.

Amazed2 2 years, 3 months ago

Well I guess the next thing will be a class action lawsuit by these 350+ students that did not meet the ASU admission standards but were admitted by INCOMPETEND admissions personnel. I am they were all given student loans to attend. Now they can sue ASU if they they cannot make the grade to graduate and recieve a diploma. Well I think they have a supply of Honorary Diplomas at ASU so maybe they can get one of those instead. I really do not believe they were accidentally admitted. I think they were purposely admitted so the school could recieve additional Federal and State funds. This thing is just like the Free Lunch program at DCSS, everybody including the FEDs know the real answer but they just don't want to do anything with it becasue it will not be politically popular. Once again where are the Black Leaders who should be speaking out against such practices?? Sanford Bishop where are you??

coachjohnson42 2 years, 3 months ago

....Make the necessary corrections and keep on pushing. Dont worry about them at all.....

Amazed2 2 years, 3 months ago

Yea coachjohnson42 using your value system it is like we are in the 3d quarter of a playoff footballl game and we just found out that about one fouth of the starting lineup is ineligible to play but we are going to put them in anyway. After all why is that unfair or wrong cause everydody does it?????????????? "Don't worry about then at all" would be what you say!!!!!

Amazed2 2 years, 3 months ago

Amazed that Everette Freeman seems somewhat delited that they only found 350+ students that were admitted fraudulently be incompetent admissions staff. Kind of like if you keep lowering your standards then you have LOW STANDARDS.

agirl_25 2 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone know if the Regent's Test is still a requirement in for graduation from college? Just curious.

bubbavet 2 years, 3 months ago

IT MUST NOT BE BECAUSE IT DOES NOT REFLECT "THEIR" TRUE POTENTIAL. HAHA!!

agirl_25 2 years, 3 months ago

I got my answer.. l googled it. ASU applied for and got an exemption. The students are no longer required to prove they are proficient in reading or writing. The Regents test consisted of 2 sections...essay writing and reading...the student had to write and essay on one of 4 topics and the reading part was 10 passages with multiple choice questions such as word usage and reading comprehension. Sad, huh, that ASU got an exemption? Did they know a lot of their grads could not pass it? Could not read, write or comprehend?

YDoICare 2 years, 3 months ago

The Regent’s is no longer a requirement at the majority, if not all, schools in the Georgia system. Years ago, many schools applied for individual waivers which the Board granted. The reason stated was that such an exam served only as a duplication of other standards by the respective schools. Time of an institution’s submission of the request determined the date of the official date of implementation, and I believe the Board approved all requests. Schools such as ASU, Georgia State, Valdosta, and others submitted the necessary paperwork earlier than others. Later schools such as UGA, Darton, Fort Valley State, East Georgia, and others submitted their paperwork and received the same waiver.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 3 months ago

The dumbing down of South Georgia continues...

Jacob 2 years, 2 months ago

Wow. Wonder why they applied for an exemption.....

YDoICare 2 years, 3 months ago

The ASU situation involving the improper admission of students is serious, but it is also a situation which can be fixed. Somehow, somewhere a crack developed in the process. Just like with cracks in a water line, you might not notice the leak or care when it is only drip or two with water, or 1 or 2 people with admission. Over time, however, that crack expands allowing more to get through until the point is reached that you discover the crack yourself or someone else notices. The important thing for ASU is to examine their policies and procedures to discover where, how, and why this situation developed and expanded. Then it’s about fixing the problem and adjusting the process to prevent future problems of this nature. This ASU problem is serious and warrants attention, but it is one that can be fixed before any lasting damage can occur.

The Darton situation involving the record keeping is another serious situation. It actually affects more individuals than the ASU situation. The school failed to follow system procedures and in many ways common sense in its transmitting and storing of personal information. I do not believe this issue is new to Darton. According to people once affiliated with the school, the administration has known that former employees have been the victims of identity theft which may or may not have been the result of anyone being able to easily access someone’s social security number either through the computer system or from paperwork and files left carelessly on the desks in many offices. Many of these faculty and staff members have since left Darton over the failure to address these issues. For the meetings where actual minutes are kept or are not “forced” to be edited, anyone can see these and other security issues have a long history. In the past, students have even hacked into the school computer system while in classrooms or labs on campus. Again this situation is one which can be solved. The problem, however, is that the situation has been recurring but no real action has ever been taken. It appears that the only time real action is taken regardless of issue is when one of the “in crowd” is the person affected or media attention requires a defense. If it is not a “favorite” who brings an issue or someone at a higher level beyond the Darton campus, that individual is branded a troublemaker and shunned. Hopefully this time, the appropriate steps will be taken by those part of the “in crowd” to remedy an ongoing concern.

YDoICare 2 years, 3 months ago

As many of these comments appear to be more about personal feelings than that of which is reported, from my experience every institution, ASU, Darton, MIT, Stanford, and so on has both “good” and “bad” students. I have known students from school systems both urban and rural who lacked many basic skills when entering a higher education setting. With hard work, they not only completed undergraduate work but some have even completed doctorates, PhDs and MDs, from a number highly regarded institutions. That success is actually more common today than in years past.

In years past, students or faculty members were more readily labeled according to the institution from which they obtained their degree. With the skyrocketing (and often unnecessary) tuition that labeling is not as prominent today. A student from ASU could be admitted and graduate from MIT, Harvard, Stanford, and so on. Likewise, an undergraduate from a community college like Darton could be admitted and graduate with a bachelor’s degree from MIT, Harvard, Stanford, and so on. These students will not have doors opened for them like they would if they had received the earlier schooling at “prestigious” institution. For those that are capable, if they find the door, they simply have to open it for themselves, walk in, and perform to the best of their ability and to the level of the expectations of “prestigious” institution. On the other hand, a degree from “prestigious” university does not guarantee competency. I know of many graduates from “cow” college and “rural university” who are more successful in the same fields as those from “prestigious” university. Simply put, a good student anywhere can make it; some just have to climb some additional obstacles. Likewise, a poor student unwilling to work, will not be successful regardless of the name on the diploma. Yes, they may get the initial breaks, but over time it is the individual and not the school name which results in success and longevity.

For those wanting their own specific examples, compare and contrast the academic accomplishments of anyone you know who attended a rural public school, urban public school, private school, parochial school, charter school, or home school. Like anyone, these students will have different strengths and weaknesses. If however, they have the same drive, you will find individual success stories virtually equal in nature regardless of the schooling background. Different types of schools may be more beneficial to one person than another, the paths to success may be different, but the possibilities of achievement are there regardless.

agirl_25 2 years, 3 months ago

This is an interesting page......shows the requirements for entry in to ASU. I am quite surprised (yeah, right) by the factors under the ADMISSIONS tab.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 2 months ago

"Entrance Difficulty....Minimally Difficult: Most freshmen were not in the top 50% of their high school class and scored somewhat below 1010 on the SAT I or below 19 on the ACT; up to 95% of all applicants accepted."

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

.....wait wait wait.....one more question........I just read this.."one of the reasons a complaint was filed was because in the letter to the regents by the Albany chapter of the American Association of University Professors alleging a wide range of policy abuses at the school, including financial mismanagement, fraud and even improper use of human test subjects for research purposes." WHAT???........HUMAN SUBJECTS FOR WHAT KIND OF RESEARCH PURPOSES? That is something. "You got some splainin to do, Lucy." OK, let's hear it......what kind of research can possibly be going on in the labs of ASU?