Squawk of the Day - Jan. 21, 2012

"If the incident in the Lee County Publix bathroom doesn’t prove that we need gun control and carrying permits, we are not smart. How do you leave a .40-caliber gun sitting in a bathroom?"

Comments

Spike 2 years, 3 months ago

Reminds me of a sherriff that left his gun in a restroom in Jacksonville, NC a while back. Click Story here Does this mean we need to take their guns too?

LuLu 2 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Hallman is a retired FBI agent, so I'm sure he has all the permits, etc., he needs. It was, though, extremely careless of him. But before you call for "gun control", please learn exactly what that means first.

Amazed2 2 years, 3 months ago

Sqwuaker YOU are a Dumb Bunny!!! Guess you would OUTLAW Guns from people that want to legally carry for self protection and maybe even your protection. DO you really think a Thief and a Thug will actually bother with getting a permit or worry that guns are restricted. YOU are basically wanting to make it easier and safer for the Thugs, Thieves, Robber and Muggers. Heck if they don't have to worry about Law abiding citizens protecting themselves then they will just raise the Crime Rate even more. Every Thug and Criminal that reads your DUMB Bunny Squawk will be smiling cause you want to make his job easier. You propose Making Their Day but I prefer Clint Eastwood's way, "MAKE My Day". I recently compared burglaries here in Albany to Charleston and the data I found for 2010 showed per capita that we have about 3 time the burglaries here in Albany vs Charleston. Something like 600 in Charleston vs 1790 in Albany per capita for 2010. That is frigin a bunch of crime. I sleep every night with two loaded guns close by my bed. The first crack head that sticks his Dumb HEad in my house will have to deal with that. I am sure if they know in advance that Law Abiding people Don't Have a Gun they will be kicking in even more doors. MAybe you will get lucky and they will pay you a visit and you can negotiate with them using your fluffy pillow to beat them off.

ghostofkarelia 2 years, 3 months ago

Charleston? Really? Could you pick a city that has less in common with Albany? If you want your argument to have more veracity, compare the statistics to those of a city with a similar demographic make-up (Macon, Savannah, Augusta, Atlanta).

Also, all you gun nuts, read this: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17922-carrying-a-gun-increases-risk-of-getting-shot-and-killed.html

Fair warning, though, it's heavy on things like "facts" and "science."

ghostofkarelia 2 years, 3 months ago

"using your fluffy pillow to beat them off"

euphemism +1

Shinedownfan 2 years, 3 months ago

My father is a retired deputy and state trooper, he doesnt take his gun(s) with him when he goes grocery shopping. ... And why couldnt Mr. Hallman leave it holstered while he was utilizing the facilities? I do have to commend him on washing his hands tho. There are so few out there that do that.

waltspecht 2 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately all of us make the occasional mistake. We are not a perfect breed. Some people chose to be sheep, others wolves and some chose to protect thermselves. Yes it was a mistake, I'm just glad it turned out for the best. Why don't you check with the thirty sheep in Terrell County when the Pit Bulls showed up and see if they would have chosen a differnt course if possible. Lifes choices are what determine your course through this World.

justme 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't think the gun or the owner is the problem. There are just far too many guns out there. I say own all the guns you want,but when the thug takes your gun and shoots you in the a$$ send your medical bills to the NRA................

Cartman 2 years, 3 months ago

Many people, including the squawker, fail to realize that nothing happened. The pistol was left. It was found. No one was shot. No one died. It was an extremely isolated incident. Rare enough to merit press coverage. But certainly not a tragedy. And suggesting more gun control is ridiculous. Who picks these Squawks of the Day? Obama?

Susan123 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't believe we need more gun control. Are the same people that are yelling "gun control" the same ones that are complaining about the government having too much control??

I do believe that this was an extremely irresponsible person that left his gun there. Yes, it did turn out for the best, thankfully. But this man's gun license needs to be taken away. He is obviously not responsible enough to be allowed to carry one.