Gun show a hit every three months in Albany

Deidra Davis, right, holds a .22-caliber Smith & Wesson assault rifle she just bought at Saturday’s Albany Gun & Knife Show/Sale, along with her husband Rodney and their 18-month-old daughter.

ALBANY -- Whether they liked to hunt, target shoot or needed personal protection, people could find a weapon at the Albany Gun & Knife Show/Sale Saturday.

The event continues today starting at 10 a.m. It probably will draw a steady stream of people as it did Saturday to browse table after table of guns, knives and other goods.

"We always have a good turnout in Albany," said Elaine Steverson, one of the show's promoters. "People here are always smiling and nice. And why not? It is a show."

It is a show that sells rifles, which fit the needs of the Davis family. Rodney, his wife Deidra and their 18-month-old daughter drove 60 miles from Dooly County to find a rifle so that Deidra could join her husband and his friend in target shooting.

Deidra selected a .22-caliber Smith & Wesson semi-automatic assault rifle for her target shooting fun. While her background check was run on the purchase she talked about why she bought the gun.

"I go target shooting with my husband and his friends all the time," Davis said. "I might as well shoot some targets too. And this gun is nice and light and easy to handle."

The show allowed for John Westbrook to hopefully help weather the bad economy. Westbrook started his gun and collectibles business in September.

"I started the business when I became unemployed," Westbrook said. "I took all my collectibles and my guns and now I travel all over Georgia selling. I would say that with the bad economy this is allowing me to hold my own."

Not gun owners, Brandon Stewart and Trevor Johnson said they were curious to see the guns, knives and other collectibles at the show.

"I'm not interested in hunting, but he is," said Stewart. "We just wanted to see what was here. There are a lot of different guns and knives. There are some really small guns I've never seen here. It is a cool show."

Comments

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

Those gun dealers are a bunch of crooks. They will try to tell your gun is worthless first, then turn around and offer you a low price for your gun. Its a game and a business. They will take your so called "worthless" gun, clean it and oil it up, and re-sell it for twice as much as they bought it from you.

Sally_O 2 years, 8 months ago

These gun shows are nothing more than a traveling pawn shop. Pawn shops do the same thing. They tell you they can only give you so much, but then turn around and sell it at 3 times the rate they paid for it.

waltspecht 2 years, 8 months ago

The retail used gun business has historically had a 50% mark-up to cover costs and profit. The term is called doing business. If you look your weapon up on the Internet at Gun Broker and Guns America you can get a good idea of what it will bring, and not get so easily conned. Just remember the people aren't in business for you to make money.

waltspecht 2 years, 8 months ago

Forgot to add, by definition, an Assault Weapon is a fully Automatic weapon, not a Semi-auto as the Smith & Wesson is. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Spike 2 years, 8 months ago

Are you saying that an M16-A2 is not an assault weapon?

rock 2 years, 8 months ago

If your M16-a2 has a 3 round burst or a full auto capability it is an assault weapon, if not it is just another AR version.

joker581 2 years, 8 months ago

The M-16A2 is not semiautomatic. It features a 3-round burst setting, qualifying it as an assault weapon.

waltspecht 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm simply saying the Smith 22 isn't one. If you have an A2 I hope you have an interesting class 3 permit, because they were never permitted

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

If you have a old gun and want to sell it, its best to sell it by auction. Try www.gunbrokers.com Dont give your gun away to these crooks.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 8 months ago

looks like gunbrokers website is down...oh well....there are others to try

joker581 2 years, 8 months ago

It's amusing how many people here are ignorant of how business works. Yes, dealers want to give you less for the gun than it is worth. That way, when they sell it for what it is worth, they actually make a profit. That's the whole reason that they buy guns. There's good news though. It's impossible for them to rip you off if you are actually an informed seller and know the value of your gun.

LuLu 2 years, 7 months ago

Safety tip #1 for Deidra -- Don't point the gun at your husband's neck! Bad choice of picture to print.

chinaberry25 2 years, 7 months ago

Crooks?? Take an economics course. Jewelry is marked up 1000% at the mall and no one is calling the mall crooks. You flock there everyday to spend you money. A gun dealer is in business to make money, if you don't like it do not sell it to them.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 7 months ago

@joker - if you can read ( and i hope you can), you will see that we all pretty much came up with the same conclusion. It is a business. We know that. They just use dirty techniques to make a profit.If you didn't understand that, then guess who is ignorant.

billybob 2 years, 7 months ago

It's a dirty tactic to make you an offer on your gun that you are free to accept or reject? That sure doesn't sound dirty to me. Secondly, this was a horrible written article -- very high school-esque.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 7 months ago

Do you have to tell someone their gun is "worthless" just to get them to accept a low price for it? That's "dirty"...Do you have to tell someone I wouldn't give you one red cent for piece of crap then turn around offer you another gun to trade for it 3 minutes later? thats "dirty"...Do you have to tell people your gun may be worth something to you, but nothing here....,that's "dirty" ....you should have been there to hear how disrespectful those crooks were to the good people of South Georgia....I hope they never come back.

billybob 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm guessing they didn't offer you what you wanted for your gun.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 7 months ago

A good bet would be he felt “disrespected” too. Who could have seen that coming?

coachjohnson42 2 years, 7 months ago

I just watched with amazement and left

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 7 months ago

That was the best way to handle it! If a business does not respect their customers the most effective way to get their attention is by the loss of business. They either improve customer service or go out of business. Almost no one has an exclusive business in today’s world. Also I prefer Local merchants over traveling merchants or internet merchants when possible. Local merchants may cost a dollar or two more BUT they are part of our local economics, so it is more likely a dollar I spend here will stay here to help local people not some out of town company.

coachjohnson42 2 years, 7 months ago

I honestly think our local pawn shops treat people better than they did. Everybody wants to make a dollar but customer service is highly appreciated in any business. Good customer service brings customers back next time to spend again....

chinaberry25 2 years, 7 months ago

Don't think that there are not crooks or cheap folks around here. Take your antiques to sell in Sasser, Georgia and see how little they give you. Saw a man give $150 for pink Sharon depression glass, a whole tub full, and he turned around and put $50 on each rim soup bowl. Had 10 of them. Had plates, bowls platters. Probably made $1000 off the set. So greed is alive and well everywhere. The antique business is the worst of all. Better know your stuff.