Man shot during armed robbery (UPDATE from APD detectives)

ALBANY, Ga. — The report of a man being shot in the hand Monday during the course of an armed robbery at a north Albany convenience store turned out not to be true.

Wesley Williams, 34, told authorities the was pumping gas at the Woodall's at 1500 N. Slappey Blvd. at 1:15 p.m. when an unknown black male, armed with a small caliber handgun, approached him.

"According to the victim, the suspect pointed the weapon and demanded money," an email sent out by APD officials on Monday evening said. "The two got into a struggle. The victim stated that during the struggle he grabbed the barrel of the gun and the suspect fired the weapon. He then fled the scene."

This afternoon, detectives with the Albany Police Department determined that the incident had not occurred at Woodall's as previously reported.

Officials with the APD indicated earlier today that Williams would be charged with filing a false report if it turned out the robbery had not taken place after further investigation of the incident.

More details to follow.

Comments

Sally_O 2 years, 6 months ago

It's a shame nobody can go to a gas pump to get gas on a busy street in broad daylight without some worthless piece of trash trying to rob them. I guess now you will have to have someone standing guard with a gun until you get filled up.

Sally_O 2 years, 6 months ago

Okay, so I guess we can disregard what I said, although this could happen. Some people are just ignorant.

DoctorDorite 2 years, 6 months ago

Thats the very reason I have told my wife and daughter to stay out of Albany, a very unsafe city. Sad but true, maybe one day the Judges will decide to keep them locked up instead of the revolving door sytem we have.

Cartman 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope Woodalls has video of this. Citizens, prepare and defend yourselves!

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 6 months ago

This is why I quit going to the gas stations on Slappey. I had a man almost approach me one time but then he noticed my husband sitting in the car next to me while I was pumping gas and he decided it wasn't a good idea to approach me. I didn't know his intentions so I decided that was the last time I pump gas on Slappey. I hate that Slappey has become so dangerous. I know most are coming from the drug infested Avenues.

waltspecht 2 years, 6 months ago

Where is the Trailer Park Manager with her JUDGE when you need her?

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 6 months ago

Hard to miss with The Judge, Mr. Specht!

DoctorDorite 2 years, 6 months ago

Be careful, our moderator on here will disagree with all that post negative about Albany, and elimanate post they don't agree with, this one included, it'nt that right moderator ?

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 6 months ago

What was the whole point of him lying? The nerve of some people. This took up valuable resources from APD and he could have hindered someone who was in real need of help. What a moron!!

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 6 months ago

Sooooo, I guess if Mr. Williams is charged with filing a false report, we can expect Mrs. Willie Weaver to be charged with the same? Naw, sorry, having a senior moment. What was I thinking?

Sally_O 2 years, 6 months ago

I read from another source that Woodall's video shows no evidence Williams was even at the Gas station. He got shot somewhere else, but not at woodall's. It makes me wonder if he got shot trying to rob someone else and making like he was a victim. Something fishy here, he got shot but trying to justify as to why he got shot.