Squawk of the day - Jan. 24, 2012

"Another Georgia football player arrested. This is what happens when we and every other college recruit players from a thug culture. These type of people don't represent me or the people I associate with, and they shouldn't be representing the University of Georgia or any other reputable school."

Comments

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Another loser with a full scholarship. Meanwhile some kid who might discover the cure for cancer is going elsewhere. An absolute travesty. It's why I don't watch much college or pro football anymore.

Paul Hornung was right unfortunately "You can't win without the Black athlete" but this is also what you get along with it. It's an upside-down resurrection of Slavery. The bigger and more "athletic", the more money he goes for. Just like the Slave Auction Block from 150 years ago. Doesn't anybody else see it?

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 2 months ago

America’s thirst for the modern day gladiators (contact sports) dictates that many times a blind eye must be turned to allow for the biggest, fastest, meanest, most aggressive. This is the viewing public’s fault for settling for athletes with such low personal standards not the coaches, recruiters, promoters who are doing what it takes to feed the Publics thirst for mayhem. It is simply supply and demand! The crowds are supplied what they demand, we just have laws against using Lions any more.

waltspecht 2 years, 2 months ago

The Schools, like the Pro Teams are chasing money. Whatever it takes to make Sports pay.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 2 months ago

It is not just the athletes. When fans make threats hoping an athlete and his family will die because of miffed play or a dropped ball, what do you expect? Fans all over this country threaten athletes with bodily injury. They actually beat up the fans of other teams and then blame it on the "heat of the moment." Right here in Ga. a man is still in the hospital for being shot because he supported New Orleans and not the Falcons. Quite an example, don't you think? Yes, these kids are sold to the highest bidder and are to immature to handle the anger that comes with the fame. Suh (Nebraska, Detroit) has yet to take full responsibility for stomping another player during a game--yet his fans supported his actions. So, until we ALL--fans, players, coaches, and anyone else involved in these contact sports--learn to control our anger, our words, our actions, this will continue. Every school in this country should be teaching "accepting responsibility for my actions 101". I just hope the next one doesn't kill someone.

Sally_O 2 years, 2 months ago

Fans & people today want the violence. Try changing football to flag football and a player says "Oh, I got your little thingy" and see how many fans show up for the game, or rather how many don't show up.

Yowsa51 2 years, 2 months ago

Too late, Flunky..........#52 Baltimore Ravens -- Ray Lewis..........

skilletsdirt 2 years, 2 months ago

Come on guys! We all know Lewis and O.J were innocent!

Duane_Kelley 2 years, 2 months ago

please define a thug culture? It amazes me how holier than thou when we are accusing others.....I am not condoning hitting a woman in any way shape or form, but it amazes me how self righteous we get when it comes to the transgressions of others.....And by the way both OJ and Ray were found innoncent in a court of law

coachjohnson42 2 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Duane. Some people get on here and try to judge people with bones in their closets. Trying to sound so perfect and judgmental. He who is without sin among thee.....let him cast the first stone....many of these people would never say this crap in public, but will say it on here because they think their identity is hidden.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 2 months ago

While coachjohnson42 did not address anyone or any post in particular, I want to go on the record that I will and have said my exact words IN PUBLIC during a discussion with friends. I was shouted down. I stand by my words. BTW, when I say we--that includes me.

Yowsa51 2 years, 2 months ago

Let's get it correct, Duane..........Lewis was not exonerated in a court of law, but had murder charges dismissed for testimony vs. companions Oakley and Sweeting. Lewis pleaded guilty to obstruction, and his friends were exonerated. No one was ever convicted for the crimes, yet Lewis settled with the victims families in 2004 to avoid pending civil proceedings.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Coach......you should have called yourself coachjesus3:16. Just sayin'. When is your crucifixion scheduled to happen?