0

Solid-waste crew sickened by strong fumes

The Albany Fire Department hazardous materials crew washes off their shovels after emptying solid-
waste-collection truck behind them Tuesday.

The Albany Fire Department hazardous materials crew washes off their shovels after emptying solid- waste-collection truck behind them Tuesday.

ALBANY. Ga. — A possible chemical reaction from household cleaners and other disposed solid waste sickened a crew aboard a Public Works department solid-waste truck Tuesday morning, Albany officials said.

Michael Martin and Michael Williams reported to the Public Works office at about 7:30 a.m. that some fumes from the truck had given them chest pains, solid-waste superintendent Daniel Wigham said.

Both men were taken to Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital and kept overnight for observation, he said.

"I've spoken with them and they are OK," Wigham said. "They just want to keep them there to make sure."

The Albany Fire Department's Hazardous Materials crew suited up in hazard suits to empty the truck of its contents, Assistant Fire Chief Rubin Jordan said. The crew spread the contents on the ground at an empty city-owned lot at the north end of Monroe Street.

"They said it smelled like brick-cleaning muriatic acid," Jordan said. "We found nothing that would indicate there was anything more than household cleaner in the Dumpsters they picked up."

Jordan added that although the Dumpsters the crew emptied into their truck belonged to businesses, the hazmat crew found no signs that industrial-type chemicals were picked up.

"We spread the truck's contents out, and we'll leave it secured here at the city holding site for a couple of days," Jordan said. "We found no gases coming from it, and we'll keep checking it."

Comments

whattheheck 2 years, 7 months ago

A real non story if I ever saw one.

0

Sign in to comment