'Courageous' DVD debuts at No. 1

“Courageous” is the latest film from Sherwood Pictures at Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany. Sherwood premiered the film Aug. 26 to several thousand attendees at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta. The film open in theaters nationwide Sept. 30.

photo

A signed poster of Sherwood’s new movie “Courageous” is displayed in the lobby of the Albany Law Enforcement Center Wednesday.

ALBANY, Ga. -- The impact "Courageous" had in theaters seems to be continuing through its DVD sales.

The fatherhood film from Sherwood Pictures, the moviemaking arm of Sherwood Baptist Church, made its debut to DVD sales on Jan. 17 -- and managed to do so as the top-selling DVD in the country, surpassing major films such as "The Descendants" and "The Ides of March," a news release sent out by Sherwood's public relations firm said.

The DVD is being distributed by Affirm Films/Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in the general market and Provident Distribution in the Christian retail market.

"Courageous," the third theatrical and fourth film from Sherwood, tells the story of four law enforcement officers who are confident and focused, yet at the end of the day, fatherhood is a challenge they feel unprepared to face.

The film opened in theaters Sept. 30, and was the No. 4 movie the three days after its release. It was in the box office top 10 for four weeks, opening on more than 1,000 screens.

"With each film, we've been grateful to see audiences and theater counts grow," said "Courageous" director, co-writer and featured actor Alex Kendrick, who is also a pastor at Sherwood. "It's been remarkable to witness our church-made films do well head to head with Hollywood movies.

"When we heard the 'Courageous' DVD was No. 1 in the nation, our Sherwood family rejoiced about how many families may be touched and how many dads may find something in the film that helps them be better fathers. That's our first measure of success."

Numbers from Box Office Mojo indicate that the film made $9.1 million on opening weekend, and $34.5 million overall, during its run in theaters. Its widest release was in 1,214 theaters.

"Courageous" also is available on Blu-ray in a combo pack with the Exclusive Collector's Edition DVD at Christian bookstore retailers with more than two hours of bonus features. The regular edition should be available anywhere DVDs are sold.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Oct 2011 "Sherwood closing Day Care due to lack of funds in this difficult economy."

Proverbs 6 lists several things the Lord hates. One of them is "a lying tongue."

Shinedownfan 2 years, 2 months ago

Someone needs to let me borrow their DVD (Fireproof too, havent seen it yet either) cause I aint donating to that fund.

VSU 2 years, 2 months ago

Actually I wasn't very impressed with the Fireproof movie. I enjoyed flywheel and the other movie Facing The Giants, but I was bored with Fireproof.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 2 months ago

I saw Facing the Giants at my in-laws ... and I knew 1/2 the people in it... it was weird.

VSU 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah , I knew a couple of people in Facing The Giants as well as Flywheel. Funny seeing people you know in a movie.

Amazed2 2 years, 2 months ago

Well if you watch the movies then they might actually make you change your mind and quit making uneducated and uninformed statements like " I ain't donating to that fund". Seriously find and watch the movies with and open mind and compare them to the crap that Hollywood send to Carmike.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 2 months ago

Amazed2, I was a Sherwood member from age 3 to age 26/27, and again... I WILL NOT donate to that or any other Sherwood fund. Nothing against the movies...

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

The article didn't mention that there are study guides, books, greeting cards, soundtracks, and bumper stickers being sold too.

Amazed2 2 years, 2 months ago

I guess it sounds like you are accustomed to getting all your stuff for Free. It is Albany you know so it is a sin to charge for something here.

Amazed2 2 years, 2 months ago

All you negative people above you don't seem to have a problem with paying Hollywood to produce PURE FILTH AND DEGENERATE MOVIES. YOU apparenty only have an issue because Sherwood has not handed you or someone you know something for FREE. Something that you had to do nothing for to get it free. I would like to Thank Sherwood and the many many volunteers that put the effort in to produce these three amazing life changing POSITVE movies. It takes a certain amount of money to operate and to do good things. Do you see the DEVIL letting you in the CARMIKE for Free to see all the other movies. NO and you don't seem to complain about those cause you know your not getting nothing free when you go. But let a church do something good and you think that is evil only because you ain't getting nothing given to you for free. Oh yea in today's society you are so typical of the Give ME! Give Me mentality. If you can't afford or don't want to take care of kids then DON't have them. Call your doctor and figure out the problem.

VSU 2 years, 2 months ago

Hey, all I said was I didn't enjoy Fireproof as much as I did Flywheel or Facing The Giants. That does not mean I am against them making movies. I applaud them making movies like this. My only issue is I can't see how they didn't have enough money to keep the daycare center open with all the money made off this movie. I understand not all the money went to sherwood, but I am sure they made their fair share.

Amazed2 2 years, 2 months ago

I guess only Sleezy Slut Movie from Hollywood is allowed to make its fair share!! Drug dealers even make a fair share. So what is wrong with a Church that makes a positive movie to make as you call it "their fair share". Still sounds like you are still looking for free or reduced child care because they made a profit. If you remember the Flood of 1994, Sherwood Baptist Church opened their doors to the community and took in people and filled their buidings with those who lost everything. They housed them, feed them, supplied them with assistance,etc. Yes this was done with monies collected and donated but also with monies that they might have made "their fair share on" too. At the time it was not done with movie money but other fund raisers, etc. FYI, I am not a member of Sherwood so don't think I am an offended member. I just do and take care of my own kids and I don't expect nor would my pride allow me to get on a site and moan and beg cause the chuch got a little money from a movie deal ant they won't even give me child care free or on the cheap.

VSU 2 years, 2 months ago

You still don't get it! I don't go to Sherwood and don't have any children, so you can't put me in the class of wanting someone to take care of my children. However for those that could use the daycare center. I fail to see where there is a shortage of money that they couldn't have kept the daycare center open. Far as the flood in 94, that's fine and dandy, but what about today? 2012?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

<p>@Amazed2........yeah all that and then lie about lack of funds to keep the daycare open. That's what I'm talking about. If they would have stated the REAL reason then I would shut up.

Amazed2 2 years, 2 months ago

Again I am not a member of Sherwood or any other church. I do occassionally attend but not a regular. All I can say I used to have the same twisted thought process that you seem to have but one night God saved my life from myself and since then I see things differently. I am a work in progress but my life is changed. I guess all these attacks on a effort to get out a positvie message movie just amazes me. It sounds like some people feel they are entitiled to free child care because GOD's message brought in an abundance of fruit to Sherwood to further it's ministry. Sister Ruby sounds like you don't need a God you need a Genny in a Bottle so you can sit around and rub it and demand that your wishes be fulfilled.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Never ever said anything negative about the movies. Just about lying about the money. Simple! I can't state it any simpler for you but you seem to have a hard time focusing on my main point. Which is about lying to the public about money when there is plenty of money coming in, they just don't want to spend it on a day care but are not willing to say so and tell us why. It's very difficult to communicate with people who will not examine what you say and then respond to the specific things you say. It's sad, really.

As a Major Prophetess, I must speak God's Truth as HE gives it to me!

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Also, I am a Tee Totaller so please refrain from trying to temp me with strong drink because it is off my Holy Diet Plan!

Shinedownfan 2 years, 2 months ago

I guess the "seeing it for free" comments were towards me. Okay, other movies come to HBO or even TV... but I have never seen a Sherwood movie on HBO or TV. I have nothing against them... my problem is something deeper... and I wont give money to them. I will watch them if I get the opportunity to, tho. Just the opportunity hasnt presented itself, yet.

albanyherald1 2 years, 2 months ago

Actually, I have Dish Network and on NUMEROUS occasions I have been scanning thru the guide and see Fireproof and Facing the Giants playing on different channels, not the Sherwood channel. Both were GREAT movies. I applaud Sherwood for making these movies and using this money for Gods will, not Albany Citizens will. I worked and paid daycare for all three of my children, nobody gave me free or reduced childcare. And as far as I can tell there are many, many other daycare centers in this town that all these parents can take their children to, and PAY for childcare. Sister Ruby, you should join the congregation of Sherwood so you will have a valid, vested interest and say in possibly how the money is spent. Otherwise, give it a rest. And, no, I am not a member of Sherwood.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Not likely that even Sherwood Members have any REAL say. Usually it's like "this is what we are going to do" and everybody raises their hand to vote "Yes". Anybody who voted "No" would be immediately ostracized. Kind of like the Albany-Dougherty Hospital Authority.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 2 months ago

I have Direct TV and I have seen it offered on Direct TV Cinema (they charge you for this) but not on any network channel or HBO, Cinemax, Starz, or Showtime. I'll have to wait till I go to the In-Laws.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Read it again.....for the first time.

ALBANY — The executive pastor for Sherwood Baptist Church said Thursday that the church is working with area daycares to help its staff find jobs and its students find a place to stay, following word the church's center will close December 30.

Jim McBride said Thursday that the church is "doing all that we know to do," to help those who will be displaced by Sherwood Daycare center's closing December 30.

Parents learned Wednesday that the center would be closing because of what church officials said were declining revenues and increasing state regulations.

Word that the center was experiencing financial troubles perplexed many who commented on the story at albanyherald.com based on the success of Sherwood's film ministry, which is currently having its best run ever with the release of "Courageous."

That film alone, which opened September 30 in limited release and has since expanded to more than 1,200 theaters across the country, has grossed more than $21.8 million, according to industry reports and was listed on the movie website "Fandango," as being top-rated fan favorite currently in theaters.

While only a portion of the money generated by the film will go to Sherwood's movie making arm, Sherwood Pictures Ministries, Inc., how much money is flowing into the church has not been stated publicly.

When asked about the revenues generated from the film, the general financial state of the church and the seemingly conflicting notion of the revenues coming from the film and the lack of funding for the day care center, McBride said he couldn't comment.

A request for a tax-return or other financial documents sent to the attorney-of-record for Sherwood Pictures Ministries, Inc. -- which is listed as a tax-exempt, 501(c)3 organization with the Georgia Secretary of State -- under Georgia's Open Records Act, was denied because SPM, Inc., is not required to file anything with the Internal Revenue Service because it is an auxiliary of the church.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

One final thought for the day.....Errrrrr time this subject gets print in the Herald.....y'all can be sure "YAHHHMOWNBEEETHERRRRRR!"

Sally_O 2 years, 2 months ago

Seems to me Amazed2 is taking this too seriously. Glad I am not in the same room with he/she, as he/she may go postal on me.

Amazed2 2 years, 2 months ago

Sally_0, you don't have to worry about me going postal I am doing just fine. I guess I am just Amazed that with all the trouble here on Gods earth that here in Albany Georgia the topic of attack on a Church here from a bunch of jealous people is that they don't get cheap daycare. Amazing, people are starving and dying worldwide and people here in Albany complain that Sherwood is not taking the funds from the fruit of their labor and giving it to people for free or cheap daycare. Amazing to me!!! Did you ever stop to think and realize that God these people were doing Gods mission and that is the reason these 3 movies were succesfull. I am sure God is looking down and watching and shaking his head too.

churchinsider 2 years, 2 months ago

I am very happy that Sherwood is providing these movies and that the Gospel is being shared. Alex Kendrick is a honest, talented, and, most importantly a God fearing man. I must say that I am perplexed at how the top Sherwood leadership has handled the timing of closing the daycare and the profits of Courageous. Having inside knowledge of the daycare it had two major issues: an unqualified director that had no skills to be in her position (reminder that this director is still employed by Sherwood in her same position running Mother's Morning Out) as well as facilities issues due to the daycare being in one of the oldest parts of the Church. My family was heavily affected by the daycare layoffs and I pray for the ladies that still have not found a job. My family was lucky as better opportunities with better leadership became available without the assistance of Sherwood Leadership. I believe that it was dead wrong to come out and expect people to believe that the Church was in financial trouble. It's my hope and prayer that Sherwood would do the right thing and use the 2020 Vision - Meet the Need (http://meettheneed.sherwoodbaptist.net/) and re-open the daycare once again with improved services and a new director that can make Sherwood Daycare the best in Southwest Georgia.

Spike 2 years, 2 months ago

Sister Ruby is a Sherwood HATER. Plain and Simple. If they provided Child care for all of Albany and fed the entire city she'd still be whining.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Read more carefully. It's the LIES that I hate. I hate the SIN but love the SINNER.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 2 months ago

Someone who is a Christian doesnt hate other churches... it's not in us. We might not like the things they do, but we never hate.