0

T-SPLOST opponents mischaracterize tax

Over the last several weeks, I have read with some interest the letters to the editor in opposition to the upcoming T-SPLOST referendum. Reasonable people can disagree on the merits of the proposal, but to equate the T-SPLOST with wealth redistribution is, frankly, absurd.

Wealth redistribution is quite simply taking money/property from someone and giving it to someone else who has no legitimate claim to it.

The T-SPLOST however, is based on the idea of citizens in a given area agreeing to pool a portion of the money they spend, in this case one penny for each dollar, and contractng with a company or individual to perform a service for them. The service in this case is road resurfacing/replacement, sidewalk repair/replacement and bridge repair/replacement, etc.

The contractors are awarded these jobs by low-bid contracts. They are obligated to completes the job in a specified time with a predetermined cost. The contractor is fined if the job is not completed on time and any cost overruns are borne by the contractor.

Calling this process wealth redistribution displays a lack of knowledge of basic economics that illustrates why this country is in the peril it is.

TRACY FERGUSON

Leesburg

Comments

Happy 1 year, 9 months ago

TSPLOST is a regressive tax. Vote NO to TSPLOST!

0

Shinedownfan 1 year, 9 months ago

Sales tax is the only fair tax out there, everyone pays. However, I am so sick of the waste of taxpayer money... I still dont know how i will vote.

0

sammyrayw 1 year, 9 months ago

Of the total revenue raised in each region, 75% will go toward regional projects on the list will the remaining 25% will go back to the cities and counties to use for local transportation projects.

This means this money stays right here in our own communities. Without roads, how will we ever get anywhere? No business wants to be in a community that does not have decent roads.

Every penny that is raised in the local regions will be spent on local projects with local oversight.

1

Sign in to comment