Squawk of the Day - July 6, 2012

"I love Albany and have lived here all my life, but what is going on? Rampant crime, school board corruption and now so many fights that stop the fireworks display. Where is the law and order in this town?"

Comments

tocar 1 year, 9 months ago

We have become a majority of welfare recipients or government assistance. Most of these do not have any goals in life or care about finishing school or getting a job. They had rather sleep all day and fight all night. Families do not discipline or instill any morals in these young people and young girls have baby after baby. They run the streets at indecent hours and do not have a family structure. If these young people do not turn their lives around and act like someone who has self-respect and establishes some type of decent family structure then there is not any hope for this city. It is too unsafe for us to get out and enjoy anything.

bigbob 1 year, 9 months ago

Looks like maybe some of the kids that were born so mom could recieve more welfare are becoming teens. Your right about no family structure alot of the troubled teens were just $ signs to the parents for more free bes.

VSU 1 year, 9 months ago

I resent them calling this the good life city. You have people that try to lead a good life, but then you have those who have no life spoil it for the others.

alleebrin 1 year, 9 months ago

Oh, it is the "good life city" for hoodlums and welfare recepients VERY GOOD LIFE CITY!

Shinedownfan 1 year, 9 months ago

So sad what has become of Albany. I just hope and pray my daughter graduates from med school (as planned) and moves else where. Seems like Albany is becoming another Detroit, and Lee County is not far enough away... if the economy ever improves to where we can sell our house, we'll go with her!

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 9 months ago

Same here. Waiting on the economy to improve to sell my house and move far away from here. I am sick of it all.

dsgb19us 1 year, 9 months ago

If shes in med school she should already be else where??? Lee County just as corrupt as Albany its just swept under the rug. For all of you that don't understand crime let me explain it. No matter where you move nor how far you move you can't escape crime. True enough crime is bad in Albany, but you will see once you live this city that crime is up everywhere not just Albany. Babies have babies all over this country and world causes no family structure. So when you complain just say you are leaving Albany not your are leaving Albany because of the crime, but you are leaving for a change of scenery, because trust where ever you go you will see the same types of actions.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 9 months ago

She just graduated from high school but wants to be a dentist or an orthodontist... whichever we can afford... she WILL have to go the last 4 years of college in Augusta cause that is the only school in GA that give dental degrees. The main reason I live here is because most of my family lives here.

LeesburgLady 1 year, 9 months ago

Waste of time trying to 'help' these thugs. They are living the life they love on our dime. I despise them.

willie 1 year, 9 months ago

Shinedownfan there is no comparison between Albany, GA. and Detroit, Mi. In Detroit every day of the week some one is shot, stabbed, raped, murdered, robbed, need I continue. Here in Albany you have a group of wanna be thugs, that are just learning the ropes. The biggest problem you face here is the same Detroit has faced for years, appointed Police Cheif's who must cater to the Preachers and do rights in the community, civic leaders and elected officials. You folks here would not have anything to complain about if the street cops were to be let loose, their handcuffs taken off of them and letting them do their job. You also might see some improvement if you would direct your ANGER to the above mentioned group. You folks keep crying about welfare and Govt. assist. but you do NOTHING to quell the rise in crime.

Clif 1 year, 9 months ago

I'll say it again, "Albany, what a mess!!!!" Glad I no longer live there. If I could sell the house I own there, I could cut ties altogether, but alas, I still send property taxes there. It's costing me to not live there but it's worth it.

bigbob 1 year, 9 months ago

Where's bubba & crotch telling us how the white folk are the problem. Come on guys fill us in the problem.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 9 months ago

Crotch? You almost made me spit water all over my computer... warn me next time before I take a drink!

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

I considering hosting a summit, this summit will work to improve the following:

• Race Relations
  • Social Relationships
  • Employment Opportunities
  • Family Relationships
  • Removing Negative feeling about certain races
  • Finding work for sister and her negative bloggers.

Finally, if you give them work, they will not need handouts. Give them a fish and they will eat for a day, teach them how to fish and they will eat for a lifetime.

We must stop slinging mud, and start giving hope and encouragement. We are here together, so as the Coach and Bubbavet_rureel would say, can we all live in peace together.

I extend my hand and wallet to you sister, what can we do to work together. I waiting, what can we do bubba? bigbob? Cliff? willie? VSU? mrkia and others. This is serious -smile when it hurts.

bigbob 1 year, 9 months ago

I think most people would love to work together to solve this problem but you are smart enough to know that if you offered most of these people a job they would run & hide.

old21cat 1 year, 9 months ago

Teach them how to fish and they will trespass on your property to steal fish from your pond.

AnotherMom 1 year, 9 months ago

What do you suggest, Mr. Bubbavet_rureel? I honestly have no idea where to begin. We have many organizations in this town to help people. We have welfare for those with no job or income. We have a Boys Club that is available during the summer & after school. We have free or reduced medical care at the Health Dept. which provides birth control. The problem as I see it is teenagers having babies without fathers. Their mothers had them when they were teenagers & this has been ongoing for several generations now. There is a certain segment of the population in this town that has no idea how to raise children & live as a productive family. If there were just a small amount of these people, it probably wouldn't be a major issue; but as it is, they are growing by leaps & bounds. They have no regard for other people or their property. How do you rectify this problem?

waltspecht 1 year, 9 months ago

Bubbavet_rureel has the answer. Jobs instead of dispare. There needs to be meaningful work for people. Plus everyone needs to know they can't all start with top pay. You have to work your way up, without excuses. Now where do the jobs come from? First off we have to quit shipping them elsewhere in the name of improving other Countries economy. We need jobs, from street sweepers to teachers. Just look at all the jobs that have been lose to computerization and robotics. We got told that this modernization would improve the job market by requiring higher skilled workers. Anyone remember how many employees Miller had when they started up, and how many they have now? About one third of the origional force I believe. That other two thirds never did find work of equal or better employment that I have heard of. So where will these jobs come from, and how will we get this generation to develop a work ethic that it would take to fill the jobs?

SHEILA125 1 year, 9 months ago

The same thing happened at the fireworks 3 years ago. I was pushing my granddaughter in a stroller and got in the middle of a bunch of thugs charging at each other. I had to run down the street to get out of the way. I will continue to go to the Marine Base and Sherwood fireworks. It is not worth the risk of my kids getting hurt. I wish Albany was different but it's not. .

SHEILA125 1 year, 9 months ago

Also, for all of the people that think Lee County schools are so much better than Dougherty. I saw on the Georgia School rankings that Lincoln was #116 out of 1176 schools, Lake Park was #201, Lee County Elem was 329th and Twin oaks Elem was 360th The other Dougherty County schools were on down the line. Lee County high school was higher on the list than any of Dougherty County's schools though..

rightasrain 1 year, 9 months ago

A Summit; for what, just so minorities (or so called) can use it as another soapbox preaching how their current circumstances are not their fault and spew their racial hatred against whites? Get real. If you want a "summit", go have a beer with Obama; after all, he has only a few months left to finish ruining this country.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

There are summits all over town every week (or should be). They are called church services. Find one that preaches true unity and peace and hard work and love and "he who will not work will not eat" (Bible). If you go to one that preaches how bad life is for you or preaches liberal politics from the pulpit or you are owed something because of 300 year ago............please never go back.

Happy 1 year, 9 months ago

FYI- Sister Ruby, The 13th Ammendment was ratified in December of 1865. Legally, slavery ended 146 years ago.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

And how long had it gone on in the world prior to that? And specifically relative to the USA and Great Britian, how long?

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Happy, sister is a visual person, she will understand the picture below:

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

Thank Goddamitey. Why did you draw him happy, B_r? You should draw him pissed of and with both hands out for reparations.