State asks DCSS for documentation for FY 2012 Title I expenditures

The school system has a Friday deadline to respond to the GaDOE's request.

ALBANY, Ga. — The Georgia Department of Education's Title Programs Division has asked the Dougherty County School system for supporting documentation in regard to 34 itemized Title I FY 2012 expenditures brought into question during the GADOE's Complaint Investigation visit on May 24.

The Herald has obtained an email dated June 26 from GADOE Title Programs Division Director Margo DeLaune to DCSS superintendent Joshua Murfree in which she wrote that "additional information and or supporting documentation is needed for the items listed below that were paid with Title I, Part A monies."

The 34 items in question range in price $22 for emergency and registration cards to $91,000 for consulting fees paid to Darrell Sabbs and Associates.

The state has given the system until Friday to provide supporting documentation. If the DCSS fails to respond, or the information provided does not satisfy the state, the system could be required to pay back some, if not all, of the $142,119 in question.

In regard to the Sabbs contract, the GADOE is asking the DCSS "to provide documentation to support why Dougherty County's Title I Program only provided services for fourth grade students and what needs assessment data was used to determine these services were needed."

In addition, the state wants information on an $18,000 check cut to motivational speaker Joseph Washington for three appearances before students at Dougherty, Monroe and Albany high schools.

"A motivational speaker is not an allowable Title I, Part A expense," LeLaune wrote. "In addition, the cost of $6,000 per day appears not to follow the reasonable and necessary component of an allowable Title I, Part A expenditure.

"Please provide follow-up documentation to support the necessity of the cost and how this meets the compliance of academic interventions for Title I, Part A expenditures."

In FY 2012 the state allotted the Dougherty County School System more than $8 million in Title I, Part A money and more than $3 million in Special Education IDEA funding.

Should the system be required to repay the expenditures in question, the GADOE would likely deduct the amount from the DCSS's FY2013 Title I allocation.

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 9 months ago

Will it ever stop? The answer isn't to go back ten years and say we've always done it that way, because the State may then request the reefund of the last ten years. The answer is to take responsibility for what happened when you were in charge. If it was wrong when you took over, you should have taken action to correct it by now. Sorry, but pointing fingers isn't acceptable. Isolate those responsible, and deal with them. Then make darn sure the State gets what it is asking for before you lose all the moneys, instead of only part of it. It's Murfree's mess. He's in charge, and it happened on his tenure. No matter what happened previously, this is all his. Unless he can somehow lay some of the blame on the DCSS Board.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

I think that "10-year analysis" just got put on hold.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Walt, you never run from a question. What are we paying our part-time counsel?

waltspecht 1 year, 9 months ago

I would imagine a standard retainer plus charged hours. Much like any Lawyer representing an individual. From the number, and size of Municipalities and government entities Mr. Coleman represents I suspect his prices to be the most reasonable in the area. Otherwise his representation wouldn't be so wide spread. Or are you inferring all these entities are paying top dollar when equal representation is available at a lower price? Are you inferring this might be another DCSS good deal? You are right that a full time council should pre-approve action and contract. However, a part time council only deals with and advises on matters requested by the entity. I doubt the quality of what would be available as a full time council, for what the DCSS could pay, would approach Mr. Coleman's cridentials.

waltspecht 1 year, 9 months ago

According to WALD, March 2012 DCSS was recking up legal bills at $3,000 - $4,000 per month when they were dealing with the CRCT. Interestingly enough they listed another Lawyer instead of Coleman.

MRKIA 1 year, 9 months ago

THATS LESS PER YEAR THAT WHAT WAS PAID TO SABBS FOR HIS "READING CLASSES".

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't think that blowing smoke out his wazzoo is going to get Murfree very far on this one.

PatrickY2K 1 year, 9 months ago

Teachers,

We're adding a furlough day. Thank you for all you do for the students (children).

Dr. Murfree [Joshua]

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, this will help with legal cost.

stc1993 1 year, 9 months ago

If the state disallows this spent money the taxpayers ought to sue the DCSS & make the ones responsible pay it back. Someone had to ok these expenditures that were not covered. It is their job to know what is covered and what's not. Some heads need to roll. Our taxes are already going up again and we are already one of the highest taxed counties in the state. We need to band together and get the state school board involved to clean up this clown school board. Starting with #34 on down, hiring the least qualified person for the job what do you exect.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

Gonna have to sell the Jaguars and Mercedes 500s and 7-Series Bimmers to pay back that kind of money.

chinaberry25 1 year, 9 months ago

They will get the money back from the board members slush fund. According to Bush. This is a lot of money. May not have school come August 6.

Jacob 1 year, 9 months ago

Its too late stc. The inmates are in charge of the asylem. Get out while you can.

stc1993 1 year, 9 months ago

I've only got about two months left and I'm moving to Carrabelle FL. All my taxes combined down there school, property & fire is less than $1,000. One thing down there when property prices fell the taxes fell too. Not like Albany they went up on my house FMV $26,000.

jglass 1 year, 9 months ago

WOW...........................why doesn't somebody say "YOU'RE FIRED"? Whoever gave the ok and whoever signed the checks should be fired and held responsible for restitution. This is just absolutely ridiculous. waltspecht......you are absolutely right!!!

agirl_25 1 year, 9 months ago

Who is Sabbs related to and who is Washington related to?

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 9 months ago

$18k for a motivational speech!? I am in the wrong business!! These people ARE taking care of friends and family and someone at the State level needs to put it all to a halt and SOON!

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 9 months ago

BTW, good reporting, Terry Lewis.

AlbanyObserver 1 year, 9 months ago

If you research, for "motivational speakers - Joe Washington" you find that Joe Washington is the host of a television program on HGTV -- where homeowner's landscapes are redone. IF THIS IS THE JOE WASHINGTON THAT WAS PAID $18,000 IN TAXPAYER FUNDS, .........

Why, pray tell, should the taxpayers fund $18,000 for Mr. Washington to come here and talk?

Whom, pray tell, is Mr. Washington's point of contact with Albany, Georgia?

Who in his or her right mind would even consider this to be an appropriate use of taxpayer funds?

IF THE MAJORITY OF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION WILL NOT DO THE JOB AND "CLEAN HOUSE" WHAT IS THE PROCESS IN THE STATE OF GEORGIA FOR A RECALL ELECTION TO TRY TO GET A MAJORITY ON THE BOARD THAT WILL DO SOMETHING?

AlbanyObserver 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks for the link. If this gentleman (Joseph B. Washington) is the person who was paid, it's still bad. Really bad.

rock 1 year, 9 months ago

It is starting to look like the State of Georgia is finally going after Murfree and his band of thugs. Hopefully, criminal charges can be brought and jail time served. When a thief is guarding your money, can you really be surprised when it is stolen. Likewise, when an idiot is in charge of the school system, can we be surprised when the same school system falls.

billybob 1 year, 9 months ago

Without even checking, I'm sure Joe Washington is black. He's gotta be. Has anyone checked? And I'm sure his brand of motivation is some sort of empower yourself to success type of nonsense. Am I right?

Shinedownfan 1 year, 9 months ago

Why didnt the students at Westover get motivated?

rock 1 year, 9 months ago

It is just assumption on my part, but if you are sending a motivational speaker to speak to black children, a black motivational speaker would be in order. Lord knows, if a black child would learn anything from a non-black speaker, since we are the core of everything wrong in the black community. I still cannot figure that one out. I do not think anyone in dougherty county is or ever has been a slave unless you are 150 years of age and the people, black and white, that fought, marched and protested the old ways are rolling over in their graves at what has become of the struggles they endured to OVERCOME.

billybob 1 year, 9 months ago

Well let's see... we have a black mayor, black police chief, black school superintendent, a metric ton of black preachers running around and the state of our local black community is dismal. So I would submit that, yes, it's time we brought a little diversity to the students of Dougherty County.

billybob 1 year, 9 months ago

I have performed speaking engagements and seminars. However, I would not speak to a group of disinterested fourth graders. That's the wrong audience to have an impact. They need to book someone to address the parents. Although, that is a presentation that would probably fall on deaf ears.

VSU 1 year, 9 months ago

How anybody can say this board is not corrupt is beyond me, I am sure BVR & Da Corch thinks things are running smoothly, but it is obviously clear things are not being done properly.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

What do we have counsel doing? We need a full-time counsel onboard. Period.

Moe 1 year, 9 months ago

Please, Jeff Sinyard, tell us how we need higher taxes to fund this mess.

stc1993 1 year, 9 months ago

Jeff Sinyard is a joke, all talk and no action. All the property owners ought to flood the GBI with E-mail begging them to come audit the DCSS. We can't keep going like this. I'm going to ask anyway to see if I get an answer from them.

LoneCycler 1 year, 9 months ago

Bubbavet_rureel seems to want tax payers to put Maurice Luther King Jr. on the DCSS payroll. He doesn't seem to realize he already is on it. When Sabbs & Associates is sued to recover the $91,000 or ban them from collecting any more Federal Title I contracts from DCSS because of fraudulent practices, MLK Jr. will be there to claim the suit is based on discrimination and do his best to get it thrown out of court. The citizens of Dougherty County want to know what our District Attorney has to say about all this.

URWrongAgain 1 year, 9 months ago

Did some more checking on Mr. Washington. Apparently Mr. Washington is no stranger to the State Title I programs

Click around the conference website about the GCEL and their membership. Two State GADOE Title I Program staff are ex-officio members of this organization (which does not look to be sponsored by GADOE). GADOE may need to check it's own back yard as well.

And before everybody gets into a tizzy about this post being in support of the school system. It's not!!!

Just pointing to interesting information.

I'm not saying this was a proper expenditure (I think the price was too high), but Mr. Washington probably charges that much as he speaks to corporations as well. Doesn't make it right, but may explain some things. Also note that the President of GCEL at the time of the conference was from a neighboring school system. Just saying that Mr. Washington is probably known within the statewide Title I community.

The expenditure may be an over payment of someone the system thought was a good opportunity for students to hear; or he could have been recommended; or being that he spoke to a group of State Title I professionals that may have included our own, he could have been asked to speak to our own students as well. Not an uncommon occurrence.

There may be more information regarding Mr. Washington. If I find something else -positive or negative - I'll check back.

FryarTuk 1 year, 9 months ago

Who gives a rip about Washington. The money should not have been spent. Just say it was too much money and stop there if you're not supporting the school corruption.

waltspecht 1 year, 9 months ago

Many motovational speaking engagements are paybacks to the individual for past favors. You have only to look at all of our past Presidents, and the money they pull down from speaking engagements to see this in action.

URWrongAgain 1 year, 9 months ago

1) GADOE gives a hoot who Mr. Washington is. They are questioning the expenditure (and rightfully so).

2) Not everything done is corrupt. Some are bad decisions.

3) When you don't have all the information you make even worse decisions

4) I didn't bring up Mr. Washington, nearly all of your friends posting did (as well as the original story). I was interested in who he was. I just engaged in a little research (took all of three minutes). Didn't say that it necessarily supported the school system, just that there could be a simple explanation. But there you go again interpreting (and knocking) the information I provide because you are heck-bent on your agenda. Just do the research yourself (no scratch that - you won't). There COULD be a totally negative connection. But you probably won't look further than what you read, and I'm probably wasting my time even responding.

FryarTuk 1 year, 9 months ago

You can't scrape enough BS to cover this corruption. Look up the word "obfuscate." When will you disciples of the ruling rogues realize that most folks know that keeping things in darkness and throwing a lot of manure around is not always for growing mushrooms.

URWrongAgain 1 year, 9 months ago

Thank you walt. You do make a good point about past presidents. I agree the money was too much.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

I just watched the Pride of Lee County (that's Philip, Luke, and pretty soon Buster) in celebration of the American Dream for Leesburg at the Baseball World Series.

Meanwhile, back in Albany, we're scraping excrement off the walls and ceiling and some are asking for who's responsible and some are saying it smells just fine to them.

Quite a contrast to me................

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks Albany taypayers for the use of the civic center for Philip voting party, Albany stood-by Philips, give us our dew!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

You love that smell don't you B_r? Smells "just like home" to you.

stc1993 1 year, 9 months ago

Ruby, I believe it's the all star game not the world series that's in October. :0)

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

Woops.....but it was a good game.

TheBoss 1 year, 9 months ago

If anyone has read the 50 Shades of Gray trilology, we are the ones that are getting screwed in everyway with the DCSS. Wake up

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Full-time counsel needed. Just do it.

FryarTuk 1 year, 9 months ago

The bottom line is the DCS board and administration is corrupt, incompetent and rotten. Adiministration and ruling board cabal don't give a whit about the students. If the black citizens of this county re-elect this board they are fools.

waltspecht 1 year, 9 months ago

No, I think uneducated in the requirements for their positions. I truely believe they just didn't know any better, and those they looked to for guidance didn't know any better either. However the old Addage "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" certainly would apply. There are people in positions where they have never been before. They are being scrutinized, and getting caught for what they have always done, and what their predisessors have done before them.

FryarTuk 1 year, 9 months ago

Walt, if they all had the IQ and demeanor of Junebug, I might agree with you. The ruling rogues have a nepharious intent with a defined strategy and it will take SACS and the Governor to pry the checkbook from their hands.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

We should be made aware of our legal fees, people normally pay without asking for cost.

Media, what are we paying the part-time counsel? Please make a call,let us know, we're being informed on everything else.

Life is not fair, and fair is a dream.

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 9 months ago

Perry and Walters said today they had billed the DCSS $177,461.50 for legal services in FY2012. Sounds like a bargain to me ...

agirl_25 1 year, 9 months ago

I am telling you, I am still bombarding NBC news's NIGHTLINE with this stuff and have been for months and months....if enough of you people in the area would do it......(all you have to do is copy and paste stuff and send them URL's of these pages, or I guess I should say these frustrated laments) and somehow, somewhere, someone will say "hey look at this, remember all the Civil Rights stuff out of Albany, Georgia, well look how it is going down the crapper now....why don't we do a story on how badly things have failed." It is worth a shot!!

stc1993 1 year, 9 months ago

agirl, you are going to the wrong network NBC is a liberal network.

LuLu 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree with stc. Sending this to NBC is equivalent to sending them directly to Obama, himself. I would suggest Fox News Channel, breitbart.com, theblaze.com or foxnation.com.

agirl_25 1 year, 9 months ago

THEN SEND IT TO SOMEONE.......!!!!!!!!!! SOMEONE SURELY WILL DO A STORY ON THIS IF ENOUGH PEOPLE FLOOD THEM WITH IT.

rorschach 1 year, 9 months ago

Are you saying that African Americans in Albany are doing worst today than they were during the Civil Rights Movement?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

A good title for this story is "Fifty Shades of Brown"

RedEric 1 year, 9 months ago

Bubba vet, let me get this straight. The lawyer you want to hire to counsel the DCSS is married to the woman who is responsible for the majority of the money misspent? Are you serious? Everyone in the room claims they were not aware of her actions, so how in the world is anyone supposed to keep people like this legal? She wrote a two page contract. Contract, doesn't that suggest a lawyer should do it? What she did was just slightly above an 'under the table deal'. She is ignorant or crooked and should be fired for either.

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 9 months ago

Betty Graper is not married to Maurice King.

RedEric 1 year, 9 months ago

Then what lawyer aka husband showed up with her?

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 9 months ago

Maurice King is her lawyer. Her husband was also at the meeting. I think his name is Frank. But don't hold me to that, I have to check his first name.

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 9 months ago

Check that. Betty Graper's husband's name is Robert.

jglass 1 year, 9 months ago

I think I read that it was Graper, her husband and her lawyer. I don't think that her husband and lawyer are the same person. That is how I read the article.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

The septic tank has backed up and is ankle deep in the house and B_r wants to know how much we've been spending on toilet paper.

erock 1 year, 9 months ago

Six grand a pop for a motivational speaker. Were there essays written by the students who attended these speeches? You know, those things you write to at least show you paid a little attention to what was being said. Did the board as a whole agree to pay this individual 18 grand? If this guy was really worth that, then this should have been open to the public and held in a public forum. Perhaps in some place like say maybe, oh I don't know, the Civic Center. Hold that thought, public gatherings are not really one of our strong suits.

DoCocitizen 1 year, 9 months ago

I was thinking the same thing ---- just went to the website posted previously for Joseph Washington. If he was good enough to warrant big bucks, why was he locked away in the gyms and auditoriums of Dougherty, Monroe, and Albany High???? Why wasn't this presented to the city, sponsored by the DCSS, at the Municipal Auditorium or civic center for ALL to reap the benefits of motivation?? What were the topics covered in the presentations he made to the HS students, and why did he not visit Westover while he was in town? If he was so great, my son at Westover missed out. I guess we missed out because Westover is not a Title I school...and maybe it was not "public" because those in-charge knew it was not an approved expenditure of funds.

reader2 1 year, 9 months ago

If you think Betty Graper or Robert Lloyd signed checks without their supervisors instructing them to, you don't know how the system works. And if you think that those high paid supervisors don't take care of their nieces and family members first, you know even less. We need to clean house!! Be sure and vote, it's our only hope.

athens 1 year, 9 months ago

Why do you all live here? Move!

RedEric 1 year, 9 months ago

Sounds good in theory---want to buy my house and I will be glad to leave. Some of us retired folks do not have the luxury of taking a huge financial loss on our house and move.

LetBest 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, be sure vote, but it takes more than that. It is a physical presence asking questions. It is being a headache to them and making them squirm. It is contactin the Govenor's office and being a pain their neck. Voting alone does not solve the problem. You can only vote for the canidates in your ward, so for example, if you don't live in Junebug's ward - whatcha gonna do about him?? Hound them with emails and at the board meetings.

Everyone complaining on these post, that live in Dougherty County, should show up at the next board meeting. Confuse them all!

doingwhatisright 1 year, 9 months ago

Because Athens, running away will accomplish nothing...stay and fight for change! Unfortunately everyone suffers for the bad decisions made for the good of the children. I know several students who attended the " motivational"' speech and returned to the classroom wishing they had stayed inside the classroom. The Saturday school for the 4th graders, although well intended, was never developed for success. Mufree's excuse is pathetic...he accepts no responsibility for his actions or lack of, just like the majority of the DCSS student body who I believe are trained at an early age to deny any wrong doing by asking the question..."What I did?". Murfee sends an email to the DCSS employees every Friday. The emails are intended to be motivational, they're not. I am sure the next email will include why the system is revising the calendar again, to include the original 10 furlough days while expressing how much he appreciates every employee. Bull@$€t!

whattheheck 1 year, 9 months ago

If you want to see something interesting, go to open.ga.gov and search what DCSS uses federal funds for. Of course, there may be an explanation for expenditures such as $94,500 to Callaway Gardens, just for starters, but the list is long. And while there, look at the use for other funds of all types. What I didn't see is the Darrell Sabbs money and the motivational speakers windfall but perhaps they were cloaked as something else.

AnotherMom 1 year, 9 months ago

Why are we paying big bucks to motivational speakers and furloughing teachers? Do Murphree and the administrative staff take furlough days also? Who is this Sabbs fellow who keeps popping up every time large amounts of money are mentioned?

Terry.Lewis 1 year, 9 months ago

Furlough days are for all employees - staff and administrators.

jglass 1 year, 9 months ago

whattheheck, I went and looked at that long list of expenditures: Callaway Gardens, Blackbeards, Carters Grill, Cafe 230, Chick-fil-a, Ga. Agirama, Ga. Aquarium, Dominoes, Flint Riverquarium.............goodness and I didn't look at all of the pages!!!!

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

What do you friends really want? I'm sure you can vote it in, we the people are still in charge.

Thank You!!

doingwhatisright 1 year, 9 months ago

We want educated, responsible, honest, public servants that uphold honor and truth. We want a town where people are elected to office not because of the color of their skin. We want freedom from those who only have their best interest in mind. We want unity so that we may progress. We want to be proud to live in Albany.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Welcome to reality, we have the sharpest and the brightest, now support them 100%.