Luke Bryan apologizes for National Anthem performance

Luke Bryan performs his Top 5 hit "Drunk on You" at the CMT Music Awards in Nashville, Tenn.

NEW YORK — Leesburg native Luke Bryan is saying sorry for his performance during Major League Baseball's All-Star game.

The country singer admits that he did check the lyrics he had written on his hand while he sang the national anthem on Tuesday night. He also checked his watch.

In a series of tweets Wednesday, Bryan says he's sincerely sorry if he offended anyone. He says he just wanted to make sure that he didn't mess up and that his singing came from the heart.

He also said he checked his watch because he knew a stealth bomber was going to fly overhead as part of the festivities, and he started a little late.

Bryan sang the anthem before the National League blew out the American League 8-0 in Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

rock 2 years ago

At least he has the guts to admit it!!!! I was disapointed that Leesburgs golden boy gave the perception he did not want to be there and did not know the words. If you are going to sing the National Anthem you have got to know the words and sing it as a proud American.

wannabnfla 2 years ago

while not his best performance, it's 100x's better than so many we have heard in recent years. checking for the lyrics is not a crime; a little distracting but rather be safe than sorry. thank you Luke!

coachjohnson42 2 years ago

Did he learn the National Anthem at Lee County High School? lol

ObjectiveEyes 2 years ago

No, he learned to READ there (and tell time)! lol

Shinedownfan 2 years ago

He has sung it so many times... I guess he was just nervous and didn't want to mess up... and he needed to time it right with the flyover, I understand that.

RedEric 2 years ago

I understand too. lots of pressure at a performance like that and while our nation anthem is well known to him I'm sure, nerves do enter into it. I, for one, was very proud of all of our South Georgia Boys!!!

coachjohnson42 2 years ago

How can you not learn the words for an event this big????

newguy 2 years ago

Typical negative response by you "coach"....your attitude is why there is so much division in Albany...thanks for nothing.

SheilaD 2 years ago

I had much rather see someone look down at their arm where the words are written,and sing this song with the RESPECT it deserves,that watch a very well-known singer that has been in the business for sometime,mess the song up by repeating the same words or just leaving out part of the song completely. I know this song. I have sung this song many times,and I also know if you are a young singer and you really want to do a good job,then writing some of the words on your hand,or arm, is fine. Many others that really do a good job,also have these wonderful words written on the wrist,only for emergencies. Put yourself in his place. It is very overwhelming to sing this song on National TV for all AMERICA to see. I am PROUD to be an AMERICAN,watching another AMERICAN sing this song,and doing it right,

KaosinAlbany 2 years ago

Why don't you get up there and sing the Anthem, for those who are critical?

DebBruner 2 years ago

Coachjohnson42.. Sounded to me like he learned all of the words.. He didn't have the lyrics written on his wrist only a few keywords, not the entire song.. And yes he learned how to read, write, perform in front of an audience and many other things during his formative years in Lee County. He had enough respect for the anthem that he wanted to be sure that he didn't mess up a very difficult song to perform.

coachjohnson42 2 years ago

At least I will get the words right......I have only heard that song 10,000 times!!! lol

Abytaxpayer 2 years ago

I so proud of Coach.....he knows the words

Shinedownfan 2 years ago

Yeah, but you r old, coach. I'd like to see you sing it in front of the whole country, NOT!

Citizen1 2 years ago

THIS IS TOO FUNNY!!! HA HA, Luke Bryan, Lee County's favorite son didn't know the star Spangled Banner and had to sing it from his hand! HA HA, how embrassing! Lee County?

ObjectiveEyes 2 years ago

You should be ashamed that you cannot spell e-m-b-a-r-r-a-s-s-i-n-g! "Embrassing"...DCSS much? HA HA, THIS IS TOO FUNNY!!!

Idiot!

Jacob 2 years ago

That is hilarious that you are trying to make sport of someone intellectually and cannot spell. How does that foot taste, clown?

Citizen1 2 years ago

That's okay, Luke Bryan used the write the cheat notes in the hand method, in front of the whole country, successfully taught in the Lee County School system! Maybe I should have used that method to spell. Like Luke!

Jacob 2 years ago

It's never too late to get an education. Just remember this, though. It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mounth and let it be known as fact. Here's another one, my ignorant hater- Sometimes, when you find yourself in a deep hole, the best thing to do is stop digging. You look more foolish with each post. Relax and go watch some Springer or whatever it that is shiney and your mind can handle.

MisterEd 2 years ago

Hates gonna hate. Luke sang on national television in front of millions, has a beautiful wife, 2 healthy children, and fame and fortune. And he's still humble enough to admit what he did and why. Citizen has a dull name that he hides behind on the Albany Herald online version and can't spell. But I bet he can tell you what's happening on Divorce Court and Jersey Shore. Moron.

coachjohnson42 2 years ago

Why are you guys getting mad? Admit it......Its very funny.....He needed cheat notes and a watch.....come on Luke......you can do better than that. See, I know at Lee County High you were allowed to leave your cheat sheet on your desk and nobody said anything right??? lol.....But now, the whole country was watching!!! You gotta hide your cheat sheet or learn the words the old fashion way BIG BOY!!! --------too funny!!!

Jacob 2 years ago

How's that hateraid. little boy?