ELECTION 2012: Dougherty County Coroner - Michael Fowler

Fowler offers experience to coroner's office

Michael Fowler

Michael Fowler

ALBANY, Ga. — Michael Fowler says his extensive experience as a mortician and death-investigation specialist/forensic pathology assistant with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation will serve the community well in the position of Dougherty County coroner.

To read about Michael Fowler's opponent, Emma Quimbley, click here.

Fowler enumerates experience with the GBI and as a mortician to back up the technical skills and emotional grounding he would bring to the coroner's office. He has embalmed more than 3,000 bodies and performed autopsies on more than 4,200 remains.

The one-week course given to elected coroners is inadequate next to his education and experience, he said, noting that because the coroner's office is an elected position, there is no way anyone can flunk out.

Fowler said he sees the job as one in which he is part of a team to help solve the crime of homicide. He said he has more to contribute than anyone with less experience and training.

Working for the GBI, Fowler had to keep up with new technologies and discoveries in the field. He wants to be able to expand the technology at the coroner's office.

Fowler also cited his experience with the National Disaster Medical System's Team. The experience includes victim identification, dental pathology and other forensic skills. Fowler notes that members of the team are required to maintain licenses and certifications so they can be activated for duty in time of national disaster, mass death or an act of terrorism.

Michael Fowler

Age: 54

Occupation: Mortician, retired death investigation specialist/GBI forensic pathology assistant

Post Sought: Coroner

Family: Wife Rosa; three children, three grandchildren

Key Issues: Take the office to “the next level”; Experience and technical skills would help raise the contributions the office could make to solving homicide cases

In 2001, Fowler was with the team called on to identify bodies in the World Trade Center rubble. That was the fifth disaster he'd worked on while on the team.

Fowler said he knows the pain of bereavement inside and out and has empathy for the families of the deceased. He said his membership in the Evangelical Faith Vision Ministries guides him.

Active with "Stop the Violence" and other programs, Fowler believes in reaching out to youths before he has to see them in his role as coroner.

Comments

laughingatyou 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm shocked this morning! What makes a person less experienced b/c the person is a female? That is very demeaning and sexist, and surely b/c you are a man doesn't make you more qualified! As a matter of fact it's makes you KRAZY to say and think such a thing. Furthermore, how can a person have more experience in a job if they've never held that position? Having experience means you've worked a particular job for a certain amount of time, not b/c you feel you do b/c of your gender. It's time out for fighting dirty. What's for you is for you and you do not have to belittle the next person to win. Continue to walk in Love and let the Lord lead you to VICTORY!!! #RE-ELECTEMMAQUIMBLEYCORONER

laughingatyou 2 years, 1 month ago

Mr. Fowler you are a disgrace to even run for this postion. I wonder if the cizitens of Dougherty County knows that you were on her payroll for years transporting for her. Don't bite the hand that feeds you!

laughingatyou 2 years, 1 month ago

truevoice 2 years, 1 month ago

Did I miss something? Nowhere in this article is gender even mentioned as a factor. Education is. Fowler - College Grauate. Quimbley graduated from where? (crickets chirping) But, Quimbley wants to help dropouts?! There is still an open investigation on Quimbley allegedly stealing jewelry and money from the deceased. And, isn't it strange that the majority of the funeral homes have endorsed Fowler instead of the person that has been Coroner for 8 years? Its time out for us to stop letting unqualified and uneducated people run our city and abuse our tax dollars. And, for the taxes I pay and the choices available for Coroner, Mr. Fowler gets my vote.

REM 2 years, 1 month ago

@laughinatyou Where in this article might I find any sexist or demeaning comments? I just read and re-read and have found nothing.

truevoice 2 years, 1 month ago

Okay, let's deal in facts instead of opinions and emotions. Mr. Fowler decided to open a business to transport remains for funeral homes, businesses, and families that needed these services. The EMTs used to transport for the Coroner's office, which meant an ambulance was held up in case a Coroner needed it. Long before Ms. Quimbley took office, Mr. Fowler was used by former Coroners, Brooksheir and Taylor, which made Albany tax dollars more efficient because the extra ambulance was freed up for taking care of the living, while transporters, such as Mr. Fowler, took care of the deceased. Moreover, Dougherty County citizens pay transporters, not Ms Quimbley. She inherited the blessing of Mr. Fowler's service when she came into office, as HE was ALREADY providing services. When Ms. Quimbley came into office, she used her "friends" as transporters, until there were numerous complaints that her "friends" were frequently late on getting the bodies to funeral homes or to the GBI Crime Lab. Because Mr. Fowler was traveling to the Crime Lab as their Death Investigation Specialist every day and because of the excessive tardiness of Ms. Quimbley's friends, only then did she reach out to him as it made sense (as the former Coroners had already realize). The GBI was his primary job, and that is what fed him - not Quimbley. What is really a disgrace is for a Coroner to coerce bereaved families into using a "specific" funeral home that you have connections to and once managed - shameful!

Breakingbad 2 years, 1 month ago

You know I read the article several times too. I thought I missed something. I know that I go into the kitchen or other rooms in my home and fail to remember why I am there, but my reading and comprehension skills are outstanding. Well anyway, I am going to stop venting on this post and make my choice at the poll for the well qualified Mr. Fowler.

laughingatyoutoo 2 years, 1 month ago

This is absurd. Will somebody please point in the directions of Fowler's qualifications. What is our community coming to if we honestly think that just because he has experience as a mortician he qualifies as Coroner. That has absolutely nothing to do with this position. Even though i have no experience in neither coroner nor as a mortician i doubt you'll ever have to preform an autopsies.

"I have the knowledge and experience the job needs to help solve criminal investigations," Fowler said. "There are cost savings when I can eliminate the need to take a body to the crime lab. Medical examiners trust my knowledge and experience." Fowler because you previously worked for the GBI crime lab please explain how in the San hell that qualifies you to decide weather a body deserves to go to the crime lab because you feel its was a reasonable death. A homicide can easily look as if it was a suicide, but what you are saying is because you don't think is was a homicide were going to write it off case closed? NO, I DON'T THINK SO; and as a firm believer in taxes that's why i pay my taxes so when there has been foul play a deiced will get justice. With a little knowledge of the job of an embalmer, I'm more than sure you would have to be licensed to embalm; which i have came to learn you ARE NOT. So that actually makes you illegal. So i would apperciate if you would stop advertising a skill that you do not possses to our community. Being that i have lost a loved one during Ms.Quimbley's term as Coroner if feel that she is more than qualified for the position that she holds. During the time of my sorrow she was there for me in a way that no fancy forensic pathology assistant degree could be. She held my and and and let me know that there was still a day after tomorrow. Do you honestly believe that working with troubled kids has nothing to do with limiting some of the deaths in Dougherty County. I MEAN OPEN YOUR EYES, ITS OUR YOUTH THAT'S DYING. Maybe if more people like Ms.Quimbley cared enough to work with our kids to keep them off the streets and in school, a preventive progams the death rate would go down increasingly. We need someone who understands what it takes to better our community and stop the violence, and as i have watch our present coroner i feel that she more than qualifies; and why make changes to something that is not broken.

truevoice 2 years, 1 month ago

As a friend and knowledgeable voter, I have checked the education of both candidates. Mr. Fowler has current licenses in Georgia and Florida. I pose the question how is a one-week class and a GED enough to determine if a case is a suicide or homicide? (Do your homework and compare the education of both, because I alredy have.) Once again, it appears you are seeing things in this article that no one else sees. There is no mention of Mr. Fowler not believing that working with youth is not related to the office. In fact, the article speaks of his involvement. Now, back to the question about how the experience related to the position - I will QUOTE directly from the Dougherty County Coroner's website:"The Dougherty County Coroner's office is responsible for the examination of deceased persons to determine the cause, method and manner of death in cases involving homicide, suicide, accident, suspicious or unusual manner and when unattended by a physician." An autopsy is a "postmortem examination to discover the cause of death or the extent of disease." Hmmm...seems really similar to me. And Fowler has done over 4,200 for the GBI! It sounds like experience in the area to me. He worked in the Crime Lab as a Death Investigation Specialist, so it would seem common sense that he can identify what needs to go to the Crime Lab abd what does not. Moreover, he can save MY TAX MONEY by using his knowledge instead of sending bodies to the crime lab unneccesarily on MY TAB! He also has embalmed over 3,000 bodies!Morticians are the ones responsible for being there for the families of the deceased and showing compassion, as Ms. Quimbley states that Coroners are supposed to do. It sounds like Ms. Quimbley is more of a mortician instead of a coroner... Well, whatever the case is, it sounds like Mr. Fowler has the best of both worlds - experience and compassion. He also has served our country and city at horrible times - remember 9/11? the Albany Floods? Hurricane Katrina and Rita? He has shown compassion for millions, not just me. You are right that forensics cannot hold your hand when you have lost a loved one, but a mortician can and will. And a coroner with forensic knowledge can help if it ends up being someone I loved that were murdered, and at that time, JUSTICE and solving the crime mean as much as, if not more than, compassion. Sorry if sound defensive, but there are TOO many people in elected positions that are reaping the benefits that I AM PAYING. So, as their employer as a taxpayer, I am picking the BEST people to pay. What is this community coming to you ask: A BETTER ALBANY!!!

OneWhoKnows 2 years, 1 month ago

I think Ms. Quimbley has done a fine job as coroner of Dougherty County. She's just as qualified as Michael Fowler. All of the qualifications Mr. Fowler has, has nothing to do w/ the job of being Coroner. He can't embalm a body for the coroner's office, he can't perform autopsies b/c he's not a pathologist. To be a pathologist you must be a doctor and he's not a doctor. So if Michael Fowler were to become coroner he would do as Ms. Quimbley does call the crime lab, give the info on the deceased, and in turn they will relay the cause of death. Mr. Fowler will not be able to perform any procedures on the deceased. He says, he's performed over 4,200 autopsies, which seems to be a lie to me since he's not a doctor! He's an embalmer and not really good at that. It's my understanding that he's worked at three funeral homes in Albany, and was terminated from all three. So can anyone name something Ms. Quimbley has done wrong, is there any case that has gone through her office in the past 8 years where there was an outcry about the cause of death, or the community had concerns? The answer is NO! She has been trained by the coroner's association just as Mr. Fowler would be if he became coroner. His trips to Guam, the Tsuanami, Hurricane Katrina, the 3,000 bodies he says embalmed is no good in the coroner's office. In talking w/ area funeral directors who have gone to the crime lab and have seen Mr. Fowler at work, he was a cutter and custodian for the GBI. He's never been to a crime scene, he's never collected any evidence, he's never taken photographs but he has cleaned up the morgue at the end of the autopsy. AND THAT IS THE GOSPEL!! If you don't believe it just check w/ the GBI crime lab and they will confirm this information :)

OneWhoKnows 2 years, 1 month ago

@truevoice You and your father, Michael Fowler as he sits down to give you this information to post on this site, you all talked about him transporting bodies to the crime lab for coroner Brookshire and coroner Taylor. I guess he forgot to tell you that he was fired by coroner Taylor and AAA transport service was hired to transport the bodies to the crime lab. After Ms. Quimbley became coroner she continued to use AAA transport. Yes, they were late sometimes in getting to the crime lab. Ms. Quimbley realized she needed to do something else. As I was told Mr. Fowler began to beg for the job, and after prayerful consideration he was given the job to transport the remains. I would assume that he was paid fairly well from the coroner's office. I do think it's questionabe after all, we could check the county record to see how much he was paid during his tenure. It is said all the funeral homes supporting Mr. Fowler and I find that NOT to be true. There are 8 funeral homes in the city of Albany, 3 whites, and 5 blacks. It's my understanding out of the 8 that only 2 are really supporting him. After all, he did offend them when Apostole Isaiah Revills and First Lady Revills passed away he felt that the funeral homes in this city were not good enough for his pastor and first lady to be in. I find it hard to believe that all of them are supporting Mr. Fowler, but we do know there are 2 in particular that are, and we know the reason why :) The 2 funerals homes that are supporting him feel that the funeral home you and your father mentioned Ms. Quimbley was connected to are doing so well in this city, but have you all stopped to look to see what beautiful services they offer and Ms. Quimbley has nothing to do with it. When I read the obituaries I see bodies from Baker, Mitchell, Calhoun, Blakely counties, bodies from New York, North Carolina, Florida, Atlanta, Michigan and New Jersey. So are you saying Ms. Quimbley's arms reach all those places? I think not! It was told to me by people who went to school with Mr. Fowler that he had problems passing the National Exams, but he's so smart, right? Here's a man can hardly put two sentences together but he's smart? The times I've seen and interacted with him I saw him scratch his head and dig and you know the rest of the story. The truth is Mr. Fowler is an undercover Republican, he's in bed with State Representative Ed Rynders, the govenor of Georgia appointed your father to the funeral board at the request of Ed Rynders. I was told he was to take the resumes of all the applicants who wanted to apply for the appointment. Instead Mr. Fowler put them in the trash. He went to a meeting in Macon and was asked to receive all of the resumes and he TRASHED them! He went to a meeting in Atlanta at the capitol, met with the governor's assistant along with other funeral directors to discuss the appoinment, knowing all the time he had already been appointed. Sounds DECEITFUL TO ME ---SHAMEFUL! Now that's the gospel!!

OneWhoKnows 2 years, 1 month ago

@ truevoice There's not a lot of love among funeral directors around the state. Mr. Fowler served as President of the Funeral Association and from my understanding he was the only president who ever went over his budget. We talk about tax payers in Dougherty County and he can't manage a $5K budget, certainly he can't manage a $75K budget. SO who do you trust, a person who has managed a $75K budget or the person with the $5K budget? Mr. Fowler begged to be Mortician of the Year so that he could spruce up his credentials, because he was going to run for coroner. He's never owned a funeral home and I would think to be mortician of the year you would have had to have done something outstanding in the community. Nobody knew of Michael Fowler until he started to run for coroner. He'll do anything to get on tv, he'll show up anywhere and I even saw him giving blood to be recognized. Well, you know he even shows up at different churches and that's unheard of because he's a devout member of Apostle Revills church. And another thing, he has no authority to say whether a body goes to the crime lab or not. Again he will take the same one week class that every coroner has to take. Whatever knowledge he thinks he has is no good. He has to talk to the crime lab for instructions, and they aren't going to allow him to make decisions because he's not trained to do that. The qualifications for coroner, you must be 21 years of age and a registered voter in the county you live in. You don't have to be a licensed mortician, you can be the milk man, the insurance agent, you can be the grocery manager, the maid or even the trash man as long as the voters elect you! Those are the qualifications to be a coroner. With all of that being said make sure you know what you're taking about before speaking on a subject AND AGAIN THAT'S THE GOSPEL!

Godsman 2 years, 1 month ago

To all of you...I know mr. Fowler, when I lost my aunt the beginning of January 2011. He gave me and my family relief to know what actually happened to her, when the coroner did not know the cause other than the disease (which did not kill her). Mr. Fowler was there for me and my family. Regardless of slander that people put behind his name...Mr.Fowler will be the coroner, and it's because of so much criticism that the community puts on him...I will be praying that he wins because he deserves it...no one endures so many tasks and put in hard work like he has for nothing...think about if the tables were turned on u. But God knows best! Mr. Fowler IS the Doughtery County Coroner 2012!

OneWhoKnows 2 years, 1 month ago

@Godsman you are telling me that Micheal Fowler gave you a cause of death on your aunt sounds like a lie to me. Did you not read the newspaper I know you are one of his friends and I understand you want him to win but don"t lie about your aunt's death that's if she's dead. That's the Gospel.