Judge sets hearing, trial dates for Riggins

Velvet Riggins

Velvet Riggins

ALBANY, Ga. — Dougherty County Superior Court Judge Stephen Goss has scheduled a motion hearing and trial date for Dougherty School Board member Velvet Riggins, who is facing felony charges for alleged school lunch fraud.

Goss set an Aug. 1 date for a defense motion hearing and a Sept. 17 date for her jury trial to begin.

Gov. Nathan Deal removed Riggins from office last week, agreeing with an independent tribunal that her grand jury indictment on charges of filing false school lunch applications affected her ability to serve on the board.

In his executive order suspending Riggins, Deal specified that her seat would remain vacant "until the end of her term or the resolution of the charges, whichever comes first."

Riggins, however, is running unopposed in November's election for the District 3 School Board seat and will retain her position unless she is convicted of the felony charges.

She was indicted in April on four felony counts: two counts of theft by taking, one count of public record fraud and one count of providing false information to obtain free school meals for a child.

Morningside Elementary School Principal Gloria Jean Baker and her husband, John Chester Baker, were also indicted by the same grand jury on similar charges.

The Bakers were indicted on three counts of public record fraud, two counts of theft by taking and two counts of providing false information to obtain free school meals for a child.

The couple is being tried before Superior Court Judge Willie Lockette, who held a motion hearing on June 22.

Lockette's office said Wednesday that a trial date for the Bakers has not yet been set.

Comments

FryarTuk 1 year, 9 months ago

The rogue begins facing the music with her gilded attorneys. You wonder if the poor children's lunch money is paying her legal expenses.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, this model citizen will finally have her day in real court, not the court of public opinion. In real court she is innocent until proven otherwise, I have faith in the judicial sytem. Join me praying for Riggins and family.

waltspecht 1 year, 9 months ago

So your idea of a model Citizen of Albany is one that will use any opening to defraud the system of funds to their benefit? Is that what you truely believe? For she clearly did that, whether she is legally convicted or not.

FryarTuk 1 year, 9 months ago

Bbbv, I will join you in prayer for the poor children and families this rogue has victimized. She is as much a model citizen as the hoods that assaulted and robbed an elderly woman while sleeping. The model she projects is that of a charlatan and rogue. By the way, their are actually signed confessions of her crimes.

davidr 1 year, 9 months ago

still say she will get away with it, and get her job back.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 9 months ago

If this is a "model citizen" then Albany is in BIG trouble....How about praying for those children from whom she stole?

bigbob 1 year, 9 months ago

A model citizen to people in Albany, what a shame. I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if she gets away with everything, all it takes is one BVVT or crotch on a jury.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 9 months ago

I was prepared for the "crotch" comment this time, I did not spew coffee all over my monitor... thanks for the laugh big bob!

VietVet1 1 year, 9 months ago

Bbbv you are a role model for Albany and it's current success. With more like you and Riggins how can Albany successful future not be reached.

Progressive 1 year, 9 months ago

Albany's current success??? What has been successful in Albany in your closed mind? Hiring more family and friends and not holding them accountable? Raising property taxes to even more higher levels than many other counties in the same state? Wasteful spending and illegal contributions to the ACRI? Corruption on the School Board for not following established hiring practices; fraudulent applications for the lunch program; trying to stop the police from doing their job without prior approvals; and illegal bond payments? How about an illegal contribution to a former ADICA Board member for an out of district facade grant that was not paid back? Low High School graduation rates? Just what in your mind has been the success you speak of? We desparately need new leaders in this City or it will continue to decline!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

I think VietVet was being sarcastic. Sarcasm can be hard to discern in print.

MRKIA 1 year, 9 months ago

NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH "L'JUA'S" ? MOST PEOPLE COULD NOT PRONOUNCE THE NAME OF THE PLACE.

ontario1966 1 year, 9 months ago

I sure do wonder? If Riggins reads these comments? And if so is she still smilin?

MRKIA 1 year, 9 months ago

I BELIEVE SHE DOES BUT EITHER WAY I DOUBT IF SHE'S SMILING.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 9 months ago

She will get away with it... I just know it. The Jury will think that felony charges are too harsh for a free lunch costing $300 to $400 a year. They wont look at the lies, fraud and deception, they will look at how much the free lunches amount to and decide that she shouldn't be charged as a felon and not be able to vote or hold office again. Mark my words.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Reading your comments, you guys have already found her guilty before trial. Lesson 1: Motion hearing normally are filed to exclude certain things, case law, past practices, and other constitutional factors apply as well. If key material are suppressed, the next step is to move for case dissmissal.

The defense team are very aware of constitutional violations, the court of public might feel otherwise, however, at the end of the day, you have to try what's available in a case.

Please dont let your hidden agendas get in the way of your hatred for everyone in the area. This lady have a right under the constitution to be treated fair an unbias, base on Walt and simular comments, I'm not sure you're honoring her rights.

MRKIA 1 year, 9 months ago

MOTIONS DENIED. LET'S GO TO TRIAL OR PLEA AGREEMENT. GO ONLINE SMART GUY AND LOOK AT THE APPLICATION SHE FILLED OUT. IT'S PART OF THE COURTS RECORD.

Jacob 1 year, 9 months ago

LOL. It is funny to watch when you learn a new phrase or concept. How many times are you going to use "hidden agenda?" Also, for the love of Pete, please have someone who understands basic English proof your tripe before you post it. Like I have adivsed you in the past, you will appear less stupid that way.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Just for the record Jacob, everthing I do is planned. Example I will type Wright instead of write, i will leave out verbs, Not capitalize intentionally, mispell words, i do this so I can reach all iQ's. The high IQ commenters understands my strategy (Walt), however, the commenters who are challenged in this area respond quickly like you did. My intent is for you to get the point, I honestly believe I have delivered my point. It's not my postion to down or cast a flury of negative responses your way.

Check yourself rookie, and don't make that response mistake again, because, you let all of us know your iQ, are is it IQ?

I normally allow the right-wingers to proof my comments, nothing has changed with mee - smile.

Coach, you're LOL!!!!

Jax 1 year, 9 months ago

Don't forget your subject and verbs won't agree, your sentences will run on, and, magically, "or" will become "are" in the wonderful syntax of Bubbavet_rureel. All for the sake of making the rest of us look stupid. Sheer brilliance.

Won't you be my friend?

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Got it, thanks friend.

Now you're on the Obama team!

MRKIA 1 year, 9 months ago

SO YOUR PLAN IS TO "APPEAR" STUPID? WELL, YOUR STUPID PLAN IS WORKING WELL.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Read to comment again, my plan is to appeal to you, sister and the other Obama closet voters.

Coach they keep stepping in it.

MRKIA 1 year, 9 months ago

COACH DOESN'T WANT TO STEP IN THIS. THIS IS THE LION'S DEN.

Jacob 1 year, 9 months ago

That is what I would type, too, if I had a poor grasp of language and grammar. Judging by your lengthy post, my arrow hit the mark. Don't go away mad, though. Either have someone who is educated to help you write your responses or consider an adult education class. Those are free, so that should be right up your alley. Just consider the classes an entitlement and that should excite you. BTW, it spelled position, not postion. Whatever you do, though, keep trying. You amuse us.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

B_r I have concluded that you are a trucker. What route do you run? The same one all the time or different ones? Just trying to understand you a bit better.

MRKIA 1 year, 9 months ago

THE MOTIONS FILED BY BRIMBERRY IS JUST A SHOT IN THE DARK TO TRY AND DERAIL THE PROSECUTION'S CASE. THE WEIGHT OF THE TOTAL EVIDENCE IS MORE THAN THE DEFENSE CAN OVERCOME, AS THEY HAVE HER SIGNED APPLICATIONS GOING BACK SEVERAL YEARS. THIS "INTENT" NONSENSE SUGGESTED BY BVR ISN'T GOING TO FLY, IT'S JUST ANOTHER SMOKE SCREEN. VELVETS ONLY "INTENT" WAS TO GET FREE LUNCHES FOR HER CHILDREN. I'VE SEEN A COPY OF HER APPLICATION AND SHE KNEW OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN SHE DID NOT QUALIFY DUE TO HER INCOME. COP A PLEA VELVET. THEY GOT YOU THIS TIME.

MRKIA 1 year, 9 months ago

AT LEAST VELVET/BRIMBERRY DID NOT MOTION FOR A CHANGE OF VENUE AS DID THE BAKERS, WHICH WAS DENIED. HOWEVER VELVET FILED A MOTION FOR A DEFENSE CONTINUANCE ON 6/1. GRANTING THAT MOTION SHOULD KEEP HER OFF THE BOARD.

rightasrain 1 year, 9 months ago

Riggins will never see a day of prison time; get her post back and be hailed among her peers and black community as another modern day survivor of racism.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Okay guys, let's wait for the system to enlighten our minds.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 9 months ago

Rightas you are a 100% correct she is already hailed as a hero. Just see BVR’s “this model citizen”. History will should show Riggins was one of the GREAT symbols of why Albany became the town it is, just as the Heritage House once stood as the symbol of the death of Downtown Albany, so will Riggins become the face of what happened in Albany.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Oh boy, my point was missed. My point in abc format;

A. She is a citizen with constitutional rights. Yes No B. Has she been found guilty in a court of law. Yes__No C. Have she been convicted by the public mob. Yes__No

I rest my case and call for dismisal of charges.

Jacob 1 year, 9 months ago

Adult literacy classes. They are free.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Great! was lunch provided when you were a student?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

These days they drive you to Ryans after class and you get "All You Can Stuff In Your Big Fatt Mouff and stuff in your Pocketts!"

Right up your Alley, B_r!! Bring a briefcase to take home all the soft serve ice cream you can get up in there!! BOOO YAAHHHH, FOOL!!!!

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Hidden Agenda, we here you loud and clear.

We're praying for you guys!

laurieny 1 year, 9 months ago

Riggins and Baker are both common street thugs who should be in jail these are the kind of people running the Doco school system....No wonder there was so much cheating on the CRCT, how can this area ever hope to attract business and jobs when these are the types of people in power?