New polling data suggests a slim majority of SOWEGA voters will approve TSPLOST

— The latest polling data commissioned by Connect Georgia shows that 51 percent of those polled in Southwest Georgia said they would vote yes on a one-percent sales tax referendum to fund transportation.

The results of the survey, which was done June 13 and 14 with 300 likely voters in Southwest Georgia, showed that 51 percent of those called are voting "Yes" on the sales tax referendum, with 12 percent undecided -- well within the 5.7 percent margin of error.

The results, which were obtained by the Herald Thursday, also suggests that "Yes" votes from those callers who were given more information about the TSPLOST grew to 59 percent.

A similar study done in the Valdosta-centric Southern region shows that 48 percent of those surveyed said that they would vote "YES" on the referendum, with 13 percent undecided. After being given more information on the TSPLOST, that number rose to 57 percent.

In Southwest Georgia, surveyors noted that messages that most resonated with undecided callers were that the referendum would improve safety of local roads and bridges through repair or replacement and that the money raised in the region stays in the region for local projects.

In the Southern Georgia region, the main message that resonated with callers was that money would stay in the region followed by the message that the referendum would lead to safer roads and bridges.

Comments

whattheheck 1 year, 9 months ago

I hope this is as accurate as reports about Albany's reduced crime rates. I can't say I have personally heard or overheard anyone say they were for T-SPLOST although there are reports of government officials and economic developers who are passing out the kool aid.

As a sidebar, I noted there are flashing highway road signs, the type that warns of construction ahead on GDOT projects, on Hwy 19N half way to Leesburg and Hwy 82 eastbound near Cookville Rd that are touting the proposal. I wonder who is paying for these since GDOT, Oxford, and Reeves, the usual proponents and/or recipients of highway funds and users of highway signs, are the real winners in this whole affair?

DoctorDorite 1 year, 9 months ago

The politicians and the ones who will gain money are promoting the heck out of this, its certainly not for the taxpayers benifit. They are using positive polling data and newspaper reports trying to "brainwash" the voters into thinking its a good deal and we should as good citizens support it. HOGWASH !!!

MRM 1 year, 9 months ago

What does "After being given more information on the TSPLOST, that number rose to 57 percent." mean?? What information were they given exactly? Were they given an unbiased list of both the pros and the cons, or just a one sided view?

Were they told that the tax can be imposed on counties who vote it down if the majority in region votes for it?

Were they told that their county sovereignty can be superseded by a bureaucratically designed region which is by definition taxation without representation?

Were they told that this is a direct tax on the poor who are the least likely to use the new roads?

Were they told that the new projects promised will have to be maintained and no current funding for that is provided?

Were they told that this tax will increase their cost for food, clothing, cars, appliances and anything else they purchase at a store?

Were they told that final approval of all projects is by an unelected board?

I wonder if the vote would still be 57% or anywhere close if they were given both sides,of the issue not just one.

Trustbuster 1 year, 9 months ago

I question the accuracy of the survey since it was conducted among "likely voters" in SW GA. A more accurate survey should have been conducted among a cross section of registered voters in each SW GA county. Even though this survey indicates that 51% would favor T-SPLOST this still indicates the trouble with selling a regional tax. The undecided could swing the voter either way in those counties. Another problem with the survey is the timing. Early voting has already started in the state meaning these "likely voters" may have not voted yet. The survey also contains a bias since it was done by a group lobbying for its passage. An independent organization would have more credibility. I suspect the survey was done to influence voter attitudes more than anything else.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 9 months ago

I am a voter and anti-TSPLOST supporter and I was NEVER asked to take the poll.

Engineer 1 year, 9 months ago

I am a voter and pro-TSPLOST and I wasn't asked either.

formeralbanyresident 1 year, 9 months ago

I am also a voter and pro-TSPLOST and I wa not asked either.

Cartman 1 year, 9 months ago

I am a voter and anti-pro-TSPLOST supporter and no one asked me squat.

thedeepend 1 year, 9 months ago

Sounds as though the survey questions were loaded with verbiage that would trigger positive responses. Survey can be very misleading and typically favor those who commissioned the work. Post a sample of the survey and we can talk.

Btw, I can't wait to see those canned response "editorials" Connect is begging its supporters to sign their names in an email yesterday, if any do. JD knows exactly what I'm talking about since the Herald was one of the recipients. T-SPLOST is crony capitalism at its worse. Its underhanded politicians like these who give republicans a bad name.

J.D._Sumner 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't handle the opinion page stuff but we have been receiving letters for and against T-SPLOST. Here's the language:

On the July 31st primary election ballot, you will be asked to vote on a T-SPLOST transportation referendum that provides for local transportation projects to create jobs, improve roads and safety with citizen oversight. The referendum asks “Shall your county’s transportation system and the transportation network in this region and the state be improved by providing for a 1 percent special district transportation sales and use tax for the purpose of transportation projects and programs for a period of ten years?”

thedeepend 1 year, 9 months ago

I've already seen the planned ballot phrasing and its as trumped up as that survey probably was. Word has it there could be a law suit to have it made more neutral. It plays too hard on people's emotions when you threaten their safety, bait them with jobs, and say there is citizen oversight, but a voter can't verify any of these false claims at the poll. And sadly, that's where most of them will see this initiative for the first time. Ask Commissioner Gaines if you don't believe me. It's a farce and you know it, unless one has ties to the governor and wants campaign money for a bid at state office, say like the mother of this district's mouthpiece for the tax, who is probably drawing a check for the bother and is rumored to have a personal relationship with the director of Connect. Surely I'm not the only one "Connect"ing the dots here and if proven, it would never make into print at the Herald. It doesn't get dirtier than this and you'd have me cheer these people on? This is why voters have lost faith in government. We talk about apathy, but that apathy didn't begin without good reason!

Nous_Defions 1 year, 9 months ago

J.D. How about publishing the names of the Individuals and corporations that paid for the pro-TSPLOST ad on WALB. Then we can see who really will benefit financially from this. It is essentially "taxation with out representation" since the Regional Board is appointed to their positions. I dare say that it might be ruled un-constitutional by the State Supreme Court.

Cartman 1 year, 9 months ago

J.D. I think there has been a little controversy over the preamble which was added by the Sec. of State's office. Some have called it misleading. It certainly appears to be "pro TSPLOST" biased.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 9 months ago

It's political propaganda and it is illegal. The ballot is sacred!! I will NOT vote for Brian Kemp or Gov. Deall again.

Trustbuster 1 year, 9 months ago

I question the accuracy of this survey since it was conducted by an organization supporting the referendum's passage. Even though the 51% of the "likely voters" favor the T-SPLOST tax it still does not bode well among the undecided. This slim majority result from the survey suggests the proponents have not gone a great job in selling their idea to the voters of SW GA. The undecided could swing the vote either way on July 31. Another problem with the survey is how the info. was presented to the callers. I suspect survey has been skewed to influence the undecided more than anything else.

Cartman 1 year, 9 months ago

The Anti-TSPLOST message is mainly getting out by word of mouth. I hope we can squeak out a win for the NO's. The message to our bureaucrats will be resounding.

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 9 months ago

A little food for thought. 25% of the funds collected are to be used by local politicians as Discretionary funds. Marietta published a list but stated it is SUBJECT to change. Just remember it is going to be left to their discretion and we all know how well they have used their discretion. We see how well that is working for the Taxpayers. Raise our Property Tax then skimming off funds to support businesses that CAN NOT generate support in the community to keep themselves alive, river aquarium, civil rights museum, chehaw and on and on. How about the Commissioners’ be Leaders for a change and donate 100% of their salaries and money out of their own pockets if they feel Albany need these money pits. Lead by example and stop leading with our tax dollars.

Nous_Defions 1 year, 9 months ago

Folks, Here is where the other side of the story can be found link text

ittybittyme 1 year, 9 months ago

I voted early and VOTED AGAINST TSPLOST...what a joke...building bridges to nowhere(in a certain rural, not well populated county and town) to go over seldom traveled roads, so one or two people who cannot walk across the road at the appropriate time(no oncoming traffic) can not use some stupid bridge...we all know they will walk across the seldom traveled road regardless of the bridge to nowhere being 10 to 20 yards down the road or street...and the cost for the bridge to nowhere is $850,000.....ridiculous.....I suggest you all check out what projects the TSPLOST will be used for in Agony, the ghetto life city and Dougherty County quickly becoming the ghetto life county.... It will make your blood boil!!

chinaberry25 1 year, 9 months ago

I do not know who they polled, but everyone I have talked to does not want it. We already have a T-SPLOSH in Lee and Do. counties. VOTE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!