Leesburg teen jailed after 136 mph joy ride

Andrew Bacon had won the Chevy Camaro he allegedly used to speed through Pelham and Camilla after a 2011 crash.

CAMILLA, Ga. — When Lee County native Andrew Bacon won a brand new Chevy Camaro in 2011, he said he felt lucky to have won the sports car.

His luck and his gas ran out Wednesday after a 136 mile per hour joy ride through two Mitchell County towns.

Investigator Vernon Nobles with the Camilla Police Department said the Pelham police first clocked Bacon and his Camaro traveling 136 mph headed north on U.S. 19 Wednesday. By the time he got to Camilla, Nobles said Bacon was clocked at 105.

“By the time they got after him, he had already pulled out of sight,” Nobles said. “Our guys drove on up near Baconton looking for him but were unable to find him and turned around and came back to town.”

Minutes later, the Mitchell County Sheriff’s Office got a call about a car in a ditch near Baconton, Nobles said.

“Our officers thought that this could be the same guy, that maybe he wrecked. When they got down there they found that he had run out of gas,” Nobles said.

Bacon was booked into the Mitchell County jail, charged with a multitude of crimes including fleeing or attempting to elude police, driving under the influence of alcohol and possession of alcohol by someone under the age of 21.

A press release from Men’s Warehouse, a men’s clothing chain that specializes in tuxedos and formal wear, shows that Bacon won a 2011 contest in which he was given the Camaro following a wreck he had earlier that year.

“At first, I couldn’t believe that I had won,” Bacon said at the time. “I already felt lucky to walk away from the car wreck in February, and now I feel even luckier, thanks to Men’s Wearhouse. God has definitely blessed me; that’s for sure.”

Officials at the Mitchell County jail said Bacon is no longer at their facility and has presumably bonded out.

Comments

waltspecht 2 years, 5 months ago

They need to confescate the car right along with his drivers license.

bigbob 2 years, 5 months ago

They should also take the APD's officers license that killed & hurt all those people but they won't. Just think how much it would cost the albany taxpayers if they took a cruiser away every time an officer drove stupid.

billybob 2 years, 5 months ago

Lighten up, Walt. Who amongst hasn't driven 136 miles an hour drunk at 4 a.m.

alleebrin 2 years, 5 months ago

Cute fellow here! I have not driven 136 mph, I have not driven drunk, and I have not driven at 4 a.m. Yes, take his speeding car and speeding driver's license until he know better and is more responsible.

daisymae 2 years, 5 months ago

I am thinking this idiot should never hold a valid driver's license again. Apparently his first wreck didn't stick in his brain long enough.

stc1993 2 years, 5 months ago

Wow, that guys lucky to be alive, 136 mph & DUI. I've never run that fast in my life (maybe once a Dodge Charger 440 with 3 dueces back in the early 70's.) J/K ;o)

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 5 months ago

Albany APD could learn a lesson from this...a high speed chase is not necessary to catch a criminal. With today's technology and the "you can't catch me mentality of the typical criminal these days". This kid ran out of gas....CAUGHT YA!!

Shinedownfan 2 years, 5 months ago

I guess 136 mph burns alotta fuel???

VSU 2 years, 5 months ago

His luck ran out and God didn't help him this time, other than he didn't have a wreck and get killed or someone else killed.