Governor Deal admits to ethics violations

Gov. Nathan Deal, right,  delivers his State of the State address to a joint session of the Georgia General Assembly in the House Chambers, as House Speaker David Ralston, looks on Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2012 in Atlanta.   (AP Photo/John Bazemore)

Gov. Nathan Deal, right, delivers his State of the State address to a joint session of the Georgia General Assembly in the House Chambers, as House Speaker David Ralston, looks on Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2012 in Atlanta. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)

— Gov. Nathan Deal on Monday acknowledged violating state campaign rules and agreed to pay a total of $3,350 in "administrative fees" to settle three ethics complaints.

Deal and the state ethics commission signed off on the consent orders relating to complaints filed against Deal over the past several years. Two other outstanding cases were dismissed and two more remain unresolved.

The commission agreed to charge the governor's campaign $2,650, $600 and $100 to settle three separate cases dealing with campaign finance reports and personal financial disclosure reports.

Deal was not at Monday's meeting.

The two complaints yet to be decided revolve around the governor's campaign's use of a private airplane in which he has an ownership interest and his paying legal fees from his state account to respond to a federal ethics investigation.

The two dimissed complaints involved allegations that Deal improperly paid his daughter's firm for fund raising services and that he conspired with a former ethics commission chairman to quash an investigation.

In the settled cases, the first dealt with claims the governor improperly disclosed campaign expenditures. The commission found he had failed to list the name that appears on a credit card used for campaign purchases. The violations were considered technical in nature.

There were 53 separate violations, each carrying a $50 fee — the highest allowable by law.

In the second case, the governor's campaign did not properly report assets and liabiilties on personal finance disclosure forms. The commission again found these to be technical defects. Deal must pay a $600 fee.

On the third case, Deal acknowledges that two donors who had already given the maximum to his 2010 general election campaign contributed another $100 that was meant for a primary runoff but were mistakenly listed as being for the general election.

Comments

jglass 1 year, 8 months ago

Goodness, when does the corruption end?

Momof3 1 year, 8 months ago

Sooooooooooooooooo guess he won't be much help w/ our school system huh?

I swear......

erudite 1 year, 8 months ago

Come on, you cannot be surprised. When has GA not had a corrupt leadership? Why should it be different than any other state!!?

Breakingbad 1 year, 8 months ago

So will Riggins be able to admit and pay the money back for the free lunches that her children received?

Momof3 1 year, 8 months ago

Seems a fair question... sad, but fair

Citizen1 1 year, 8 months ago

She should admit, get her position back and an apology from Deal. He knew his time was coming! Why did he make the decision to remove her? Crook!

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Was Zell Miller corrupt? Please tell me he wasn't. I always had a lot of faith in him as a governor. I was in and out of the country so much during his term of office I really can't remember much about him but do remember him being a kind of tough on crime guy, or am I thinking of the wrong one?

Albanite 1 year, 8 months ago

He was one of the worst... and is still tied in with the same North Georgia bankers that helped him launder Cayman money back when he was still the Lt. Governor. Remember Zell's "Mountain Bank" and that he couldn't sell it? Thats because under Georgia banking laws at the time, state-chartered banks like his had to disclose significant overseas transactions, foreign investors, foreign depositors and payments to foreign governments. Zell could not risk disclosing the names of and accounts of those whose money he was laundering, so one of his first acts as Governor was to change state laws to enable him to sell his bank without those disclosures. (btw, these are the same corrupt North Georgia bankers who bankrolled and shepherded Dean into the Governor's mansion.) Another thing: Miller isn't the down home rube that he's created for an image. Remember the Miller's "simple" home in Young Harris and the stories that Zells mother "hauled them rocks up yonder all by her self"? That's a complete lie made up to garner votes. Miller's house was a very expensive home in its day and was built by a contractor named Dick Paris. Other than placing an order for them, Miller's mother had nothing to do with the rocks used in its construction. Miller is hated around the Young Harris area because of the lies he told the rest of the state to get elected.

Albanite 1 year, 8 months ago

One other factoid... those same bankers are also behind David Ralston's rise to power. Ralston helped to cover up a series of embezzlements committed by officers of the holding company which owns Zell's old bank and a few dozen more in Georgia and North Carolina.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Albanite, you have made a very powerful set of allegations on Zell and Ralston. I don't like either one of them or most modern politicians but I want a bit more information before I swallow the line and sinker. I've always wondered about Mrs. Zell's bank (certainly it belong to him but it was listed under his wife's ownership, I believe). Zell may not have been dirt poor but he wasn't from wealth. He was a college teacher and then became a party minion and worked his way up. I've always been curious how he got that bank to start with. Fill in the gaps here with information or specifics about the North Georgia Bankers. I will check out the reality of the change in state banking laws. As for Ralston, anybody that arranges to take his family on a holiday tour to Europe at the expense of a lobbyist is a fool. Of course, he was incensed that the press reported it claiming his family was maligned. I am a conservative and I just think these guys ought to obey the laws.

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

To put it as basically and delicately as I can. "The modern concept of a Politician is that they are crooked, and profiting from their position."Unfortunately I believe that to be true way before modern times. It is just that they are getting dumber, and caught more often. Like putting yourr Daughter and Son in-law on a US Marshal's program and your Wife deposits their checks in her account. As "Scratch" said, "I'd rather have a Black man stealing from me than a White man. However, they are all going to steal all they can while in a position to do so."

tywebb 1 year, 8 months ago

we get what we deserve when we elect a known corrupt politician into office. @albanite....being an old teacher, i sure did like Zell helping us get paid like the rest of the country

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

Are there any honest politicians anywhere?

Trustbuster 1 year, 8 months ago

There are a few left like Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma and Congressman Ron Paul.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Well thanks for the honest opinion of Miller.....but I will say one thing about one man I do know to be a good and decent man. He is one I wish had stayed in politics but he is, I am afraid, too good and honest for politics..he is Mr. Sam Nunn and I have the pleasure of calling him a friend.

URWrongAgain 1 year, 8 months ago

I was huge fan of Zell before he "went to the other side". Sad to hear this information about him, of which I was totally unaware. I had serious reservations about Deal and thought he would enter the office of Governor by adopting many overly extreme policies. Was somewhat shocked (and relieved) that he has been kind of quiet. Of course he's adopting some policies I don't agree with, but that was expected. Maybe this may explain some of that.

Speaking of Sam Nunn. That man would have made a very, very, good president.

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

We only voted for Deal because the woman who was doing well quit. She did not bother to tour the state and get herself known. Guess she did not have that hard money to campaign. You do need to let folks outside of Atlanta know who you are.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 8 months ago

How can a crook judge another crook?

ednammurray 1 year, 8 months ago

The nerve of Governor Deal to take someone out of office when he was under investigation for the same offense.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

I suppose he doesn't want the competition. Nathan was regarded as one of the 15 most corrupt politicians in Washington when he served in US Congress. We all knew that before he was elected to be Governor. Georgia does that you know - openly embrace corruption in our politicians.

dianneb 1 year, 8 months ago

Edna, it appears that way, doesn't it?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Thank You Governor Deal for owning your infractions even when they were committed by someone else under your Authority. Would that all crooks and thieves in authority would do the same. Hear that, Hidden Agenda Faction?

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

He admitted it after an investigation....a plea deal of sorts...but he did admit it...

Citizen1 1 year, 8 months ago

When will he be suspended and removed from his position? He removed Velvet? Fair is fair. Where are the people calling him all the ugly names? Fair is fair. No, because you all voted for him.

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

$2.00 for a school lunch x 180 days of school = $360.00 Paying legal fees and using state account and campaign using your airplane = $3350.00 Watching the hypocrites not resorting to name calling and demanding the governors head.... priceless

Outtahere 1 year, 8 months ago

So you think this is just about numbers? Who stole the bigger amount is the most guilty, right? When it comes to ethics, $360 is the same thing as $3350. When will the Riggins supporters get it? It doesn't matter how MUCH she stole; it's the fact that she stole, period! And from poor children, non the less!

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

No I don't...both are ethical violations,and to me should be dealt with equally....the hypocrisy comes with a governor removing a school board member for a state violation of ethics when said governor has done the same....the money is irrelevant.....she didn't take away from poor children so get real....all the children who legally qualified for free/reduced lunch still got it....by the way do you know what they do with the excess food?? Throw it away or take it home(illegal by the way)....why not give to some of the children who want it or better still may not get another meal until the return to school....oh yeah that would be a handout....and we all know how some people feel about those....but this would be one handout that perhaps many could agree with outtahere

RedEric 1 year, 8 months ago

Our country has been under attack by corrupt people since its inception. It requires constant vigilance on our part, the voters. It will require several elections to clear the liars and thieves out of our government and we will make mistakes. One of our founders advocated a bloody revolution every 20 years to keep Democracy pure. I am to old to enjoy that. Just keep informed and hope for whistleblowers to continue their exposes.

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

Actually it was built on corruption

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

You are right. Thomas Jefferson certainly has his flaws.

Trustbuster 1 year, 8 months ago

For the record former governor and senator Zell Miller was the most fiscally conservative Democratic governor. He presided during a more prosperous period in Georgia. The 1990s was the dot.com revolution and our state govt. was flushed with revenue because of a growing economy. He was raised in poverty in the Georgia mountains. I have visited this region numerous times and enjoyed meeting people who knows this great politician. As a US Senator Zell certainly was not in lock step with the national Democratic party on a lot of issues. He tried to work across the aisle with Sen. Shelby of Alabama on helping the most poorest counties that comprised the "Black Belt" region of the Southeast. I commend his strong conservative and independent thinking. I agree with him that we should repeal the 16th and 17th Amendments. Also the Fed needs to be audited Zell agreed with that too. I never considered him a corrupt and backslapping politician like the ones we have in Atlanta and Washington today. When I visited his office I was impressed with the painting of the Iwo Jima Memorial hanging behind his desk. Being a former marine he told me "that illustrates what this country is about." As far as I am concerned after Zell this state has been going to hell! He was the last of the great governors. King Roy and his successors have never came close. A party no more for this former conservative Democrat. I long for the days of giants like Russell, George and Talmadge. I adhere to the former Georgia colonial motto "Not for ourselves but for others."

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

Zell also helped with Hope Scholarship and the lottery. This was a very good thing while it lasted. But it did help dumb down our school system. Lowered grades to be able to get HOPE.

spookj6 1 year, 8 months ago

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought admitting guilt is speaking up before an investigation happens. I don't see where this governor violation was any less than anyone else, but I don't see those certain cheerleaders cheering about getting him out of office. I guess he's better than the rest. In the end the truth will come out.

Citizen1 1 year, 8 months ago

No negative comments, No calls for his resignation. You all just proved there is one set of justice for Deal and another set for Riggins in the minds of folks around here! Look in the mirror people!

Outtahere 1 year, 8 months ago

Are you reading this thread? There are many negative comments about him! I guess people just see whatever they want to see.

Citizen1 1 year, 8 months ago

Not enough, I want to see yall say throw the bum out! Like you do on the others!

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

Citizen you are so right....where are those with the name calling and vehement protests calling for heads to roll? This is tame compared to what some of the people said about Ms Riggins......mild indeed.....

Citizen1 1 year, 8 months ago

This information is on page nine of the Albany Herald this morning and WALB talked about everything but! Riggins' troubles page one, DCSS troubles page one, and Postell's comments page one. I could say more. This community will never come together with bias reporting like this. He is our governor and everyone needs to know! This is breaking news folks!

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 8 months ago

Breaking News From the BRV camp:

1. All BRV will say for now is - Well, Well, Well.
  2. Bubba is taking a few days off to read your comments before he responds.
  3. BVR message to sister is honk, honk, - honk, honk!

I've been brought onboard to take over his campaign to investigate the hidden agenda process/theory.

Signed BVR - Assistant

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

"1.All BRV will say for now is - Well, Well, Well."

Yet you just kept right on running your cheese hole..

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

B_r will be doing a Long Haul run to Houston, TX and back. He'll be away. Maybe if we all pitch in and buy him a Smart Phone he could stay in touch.

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

HE'S NOT SMART ENOUGH TO USE IT.

erock 1 year, 8 months ago

Lets throw some money at the problem. That makes it go away.

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

Obviously 3350 dollars is what Deal threw at it to make it go away

SMHgain 1 year, 8 months ago

I want to know how much this costs the taxpayers? Did any monies that Deal used come from my tax dollars? From the article above, it appears to be his own campaign funds and plane used, not taxpayer funded like the school lunch program.

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

Still unethical...no spin on that

URWrongAgain 1 year, 8 months ago

Taxpayers do foot the bill for the investigation and it looks like at a minimum, paying legal funds (one of the allegations still to be decided) from a state account is hitting taxpayer pockets as well.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

SMHgain 1 year, 8 months ago

I do agree that taxpayers will have to pay for the investigation, but are we not paying for the local investigations too? I was only referring to the monies involved before any investigation. Thanks for the info though!

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Well maybe now that Deal has cleaned up his act, and made himself look good, or thinks he has, he may be able to clean up the mess down here in Albany and not have people say..."neener neener, you did the same thing." He can at least say "well I owned up to it so I am tossing the bums out." Now that would be wonderful, huh? He does or does not have absolute authority to do that.....toss the whole board?

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 8 months ago

Thanks for coming clean, hopefully this will be contagious! The Real supports the Deal.

BVR have a new attitude.

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 8 months ago

Someone needs to come in and remove the GOVERNOR!!!

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

Like I said he came cleanAFTER THE INVESTIGATION....he should at least not be allowed to judge others on matters of ethics

justiceseeker42 1 year, 3 months ago

Well I have a petition page if anyone would like more information on our current and last Governor. It has several articles from news papers and videos. One is an affiliate of Fox 5 who broke the story of him giving 90,000 to a company his daughter in-law is involved with. He let ex Department of Behavioral Health and developmental and Disabilities get away with giving out 46 bonuses to people just to take a State Job ranging from 1,034.00$ to 22,000.00$. One was just a clerk and this happened after he closed down a strategically located State mental hospital and over 700 staff lost there jobs and were paid not enough to live on as it was. I don't know how they can sleep at night. This State is ranked as the most corrupt State in the union{ All 50 States}. Read and sign my petition at www.change.org, type in Corruption in Georgia State Government! under the browse petitions search engine. Enough is enough. Didn't they take a oath when they went into office to service the citizens of this State?