Price would bring integrity to Board

My husband and I have lived in Dougherty County for 45 years. Our three children received personalized attention and a quality education in our schools. Before I retired, I taught art at Radium Springs Middle School. I have seen our schools continue to decline.

Today, teachers contend with disrespectful students and a lack of discipline that causes frequent class disruptions. Teachers are expected to solve problems that originate at home.

One of my seventh-grade students had remarkable potential and I encouraged him to work hard in his academic classes. I will never forget his chilling response: "My uncle, my cousin and my daddy all went to prison. I will, too."

There are no easy answers but we must not give up on children who have so little hope. We must give teachers the ability to control their classrooms. We need a school board who will spend their time establishing and enforcing policies that improve instruction. We need a board that will work to increase parental involvement.

I met Lane Price when she was campaigning in my neighborhood and began to investigate her credentials. In a lull between personal commitments, I had been praying to determine where God would have me spend my time. One morning, the Lord brought Lane to my mind and I knew I must do more than vote. I would do all I could to support her campaign and influence other people.

When we elect Lane Price to Dougherty County School Board we are bringing integrity and accountability to the administrative process. When the school board improves, it won't take long for high standards to be seen in our classrooms again.

Don't waste another term. Don't lose another child. Lane Price needs your vote.

I believe this community needs Lane Price.

JANICE RENTZ

Albany

EDITOR'S NOTE: Janice Rentz is a retired teacher with the Dougherty County School System.

Comments

LuLu 2 years, 2 months ago

Unfortunately, by writing a letter to the Editor of the Herald, you are preaching to the choir. The people you need to reach with your message about Dr. Price read the Southwest Georgian newspaper, if they read any paper at all. And my experience with them is that if your name or voice remotely suggest that you are white, they won't print your letter or return your phone calls.

Citizen1 2 years, 2 months ago

LuLu "If they read any paper at all" Shame on you for that comment. People like you will keep this community divided with comments like this. Dr Price needs to explain why she is running for the at large seat instead of the Distrct 1 seat if she wants on the board to help and not divide. I hear she lives in district 1.

thedeepend 2 years, 2 months ago

So, you don't understand what At-Large means. Yet your vote counts as much as mine....

gotanyfacts 2 years, 2 months ago

Why is running for the at-large seat devisive?

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 2 months ago

LuLu is right, we have already voted for Williams, who by the way is the best person for the Job!

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 2 months ago

This statement lets us know that the hidden agenda is alive and well!

LuLu 2 years, 2 months ago

I have been out of the loop for a while. In catching up on my reading, I've seen this "hidden agenda" thing mentioned several times. Can you bring me up to speed? What is this?

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 2 months ago

Bubbavet_rureel0 minutes ago

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

Mrs. Rentz, that is certainly a sad thing to hear from a child. The saddest thing I heard was when I worked as a home health nurse and tried to encourage a child in a poverty stricken home I visited to stay in school and work hard and he said to me: "but my mama says I don't gots ta work...the guv'ment gonna take care of me like it do us now."

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 2 months ago

Dr Price is running at-Large to allow people from ALL SIDES of Albany to show they want to improve the Board. She is running to include ALL people of Albany NOT just Dist1. Sure there are people who will vote for Black because they only see skin color just as I am sure some will vote white. But those of us who are still holding to hope of improving the DCSS Board will vote on the best qualified.

You vote counts as much as mine. So in the end we will see what message is sent to the Board from ALL of Albany not just 1 district.

Jacob 2 years, 2 months ago

This is albany. She is white. As such, she will lose. No matter what.

Progressive 2 years, 2 months ago

What a sad statement. Why is there such a racist hidden agenda for the Black community? Why do so many not listen to FACTS and only vote according to skin color rather than considering the candidate's failed character and leadership? Why do so many not realize these incumbents are setting a bad example for the kids in this community? Inquiring minds want to know.

LuLu 2 years, 2 months ago

God only knows! If you figure it out, please bottle it. You will be a gazillionaire overnight!

Citizen1 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't remember you all making these comments when Gov. Deal admitted to stealing, I mean ethics violations!

Jacob 2 years, 2 months ago

Answer this honestly citizen1. First, do you not aknowledge that the incumbent has a tarnished record and has not acted in the best interest of this community's children? Second, do you not also aknowledge that she will be re-elected simply because she is black and her opponent is white? Be honest.

Citizen1 2 years, 2 months ago

Gov Deal had a tarnish record when he returned to Georgia. What's the difference? You all voted him into the governor's office!

Jacob 2 years, 2 months ago

That is what I expected. You know the truth and won't aknowledge it. You and your ilk are what killed this town. I pity your children. You sold them down the river. Remember this day when your grandchildren are illiterate thugs who are in an early grave or in prison because of your racist beliefs.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 2 months ago

Jacob I disagree. Many on my friends (of both races) who sign their checks on the front are voting for Dr. Price. Because they know how this will affect their jobs in the future. We also know many of the folks who sign their checks on the back will not vote for her. Because they think their checks are safe even if Albany implodes. Everyone should vote a Dem ticket so you can vote for your choice and we will see how the people of Albany want to move

Jacob 2 years, 2 months ago

Sure, there are some black people who vote with their brains instead of what their minister tells them to do, but I'm afraid that the vast majority will not. It boils down to race and the only candidate with any integrity whatsoever has no chance because of the racist mindset of the albany masses. Sorry to dash your hopes, but that is the reality of it.

Progressive 2 years, 2 months ago

Just another example of the "dumb masses" counting on their racist friends to keep the "govment" money flowing their way. Cut some of the funding to the School Board, replace the current corrupt occupants, and see what happens to Albany.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 2 months ago

Whatever happens, all voters wishing to vote for Lane Price MUST pull the DEMOCRAT ballot on July 31st (no matter how had that sounds to some......) in order to vote for HER!!

agirl_25 2 years, 2 months ago

I will say this and the ones who call me a racist will come out of the woodwork. You know as well as I do that the fine church going brothers and sisters who are at the polling places who have so generously volunteered their time to help their fellow brothers and sisters who can neither read nor write, but want to vote, and have every right to...are going to be voting for their choice (and we know who that is), not the choice of the voter they are there to help. Sadly, I think the election has been stolen from Mrs. Price before she has even had a chance and I know this is not the first time an election has been stolen this way. I used to hear the laughter on my scanner during elections back in the late 90's and early 2000's, when people used to talk about how easy it was to sway an election.....but back then it was with whiskey, prostitutes, and fear. Now they just take the illiterates to the polling places and steal their vote while brazenly standing beside them. Such a shame.......and it is never going to end.