Squawk of the day - July 24, 2012

"To the idiots that pass me as I am trying to turn into my driveway with my blinker on: If you hit me or anyone in my family, I will sue you. How stupid do you have to be to pass someone on a residential street as they are turning into their driveway?"

Comments

chinaberry25 2 years, 4 months ago

That's Albany for you. But you did not state whether they were passing you on the right or the left. This would make a big difference although both are illegal. This happened once to my mother and the person lied and my mother got charged. Good Christian man to boot.

guardian 2 years, 4 months ago

Nothing in this squawk indicates that this happened in Albany; I live in Lee County and have seen this happen on almost a daily basis. I have also seen this happen in Tifton, Macon, Savannah, Panama City, and Columbus...just to name a few.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 4 months ago

This is YOUR driveway, and you do this at least once a day, RIGHT? You should be a pro at it! So stop being a douche, turning like you have a three tier cake in the seat next to you, and pull in there already! Why must you feel the need to "control" those around you?

USTPC 2 years, 4 months ago

So basically what you are saying is that any driver who is cautious, follows the speed limit laws, doesn't whip into their driveway at 30 MPH is a douche and trying to control everyone around them? I personally think everyone should drive cautiously, go the speed limit and not whip into their driveway at 30 MPH - It would cut down on the number of accidents we see every day.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 4 months ago

No, what I am saying is, some people purposely want the person behind them to have to wait. They want "control" over them. No matter what you say, some people ARE like this. They are purposely rude. I am not that kind of person. Actually, I back into my driveway so that I can pull out of it, it's easier. If someone is behind me, I pull over to the side of the road with my turnsignal on, allowing them to pass me, THEN I back into my driveway. However, when pulling into your driveway, you dont have to "whip" into it, just dont come to a complete stop on purpose... like a douche would.

USTPC 2 years, 4 months ago

You are right, there are some people who do that out of spite. They are probably the same people or related to the same people that go 10 miles per hour slower in the passing lane on the freeway or get up next to someone and then match their speed so that no one can get by. I would definitely agree with you that they are being rude and obnoxious.

I do not know if the squawker falls into that category, but even if they do, it is not a reason to create a situation where at best an accident happens and at worst a death occurs simply because they are being delayed 30 seconds.

TheBoss 2 years, 4 months ago

You have never turn into work at 30 MPH. Maybe 35 would be more like it.

chinaberry25 2 years, 4 months ago

Look at your date!!! This is July.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree with the squawker. I was on my way home from work yesterday and stopped at an intersection where the turn light had gone off. Three cars in front of me RAN THAT LIGHT before I stopped. The car behind me almost hit my car. She then FLIPPED ME OFF for stopping! Squawker,if you are struck while turning into your driveway with your turn signal on, the person that hits your car is the at fault party. And I bet shinedownfan is one who is guilty of doing just what you describe.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 4 months ago

No, people in my neighborhood are courteous.

USTPC 2 years, 4 months ago

I have had that exact same thing happen to me, almost got rear ended because I stopped and did not turn on a red light and the drive behind me got mad. That is why if I am sitting at a red light and it turns green I wait for a count of 5 because you can almost guarantee 3-4 cars are going to run the red light.

VietVet1 2 years, 4 months ago

So the light turns green and you count to five. Have you thought about looking and seeing what traffic is doing? With no cars coming and you're counting to five somebody behind you won't be able to make the light! Here's a "atta boy" and a "pat on the back" award.

USTPC 2 years, 4 months ago

Beats getting into an accident because someone is too impatient to wait for the next light. And no, I do not literally count to 5 but I do watch the traffic and wait long enough to make sure I do not get in an accident.

Gabrielblows 2 years, 4 months ago

The squawker didn't give me enough information for me to say that I agree with him/her. You say your blinker was flashing but all that tells me as a defensive driver is that your blinkers work! We all have followed people that drive totally oblivious to the fact that their blinkers are flashing! If you slow down to a complete stop and then make your turn as some people are want to do, then I'm probably going to pass you provided it is safe to do so. As for the law suit comment, that's one of the problems in today's litigious society. Too many people won't take responsibility for their own actions. They always try to put the blame on someone or something else.

TheMember 2 years, 4 months ago

Why? This is by far the least interesting squawk in the paper today. The two are from the idiots who say Romney needs to show more than required, when Obama will not even show his school records. The other is about the schools in Georgia being so bad and the state being Republican. This is probably the dumbest statement ever spoken and obviously the squawker is from the school system they are referring to. It is the local democratic leadership who are making the stupid decisions not the state. You will see when Gov. Deal finally decides to come down here and oust all the clowns in Albany's school board. Right now, the Gov is just giving the rest of the state something to laugh at.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 4 months ago

Those others are just repeating what their so-called Pastors preached on last Sunday.

ontario1966 2 years, 4 months ago

I still can't believe something so stupid as this? Made the squawk of the day? WOW

tocar 2 years, 4 months ago

We have allots of idiots in Albany driving who do not know what a turn lane is and drivers who drive too fast and are unconcerned about others on the road. They do not stop for any reason. In our subdivision, drivers run like they are on an interstate unconcerned with the residents who may be walking or turning into their driveways. When we get behind the steering wheel of a moving vehicle we need to be responsible drivers.

USTPC 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree 100%. We have the same problem in our subdivision. Our subdivision is full of children playing outside and some drivers seem to be oblivious to this fact.

VSU 2 years, 4 months ago

I was behind two cars one day in a residential area, the first car had her turn signal on as if she was turning right, the 2nd car went to pass the first car, but the first car didn't turn but kept going and the 2nd car almost ran head on with another car coming from the other direction. Although the car passing was in the wrong, but it's just as dangerous to have a turn signal on if you are not going to make a turn.

Mr_Heatmiser 2 years, 4 months ago

Since you said "idiots," as in plural, I believe I'd check my turn signal out if I was you, squawker. Passing a vehicle that is indicating a left turn is too stupid even for Albany, and surely if it happens with any regularity it seems there might be more to the story.

Jimboob 2 years, 4 months ago

Bad Drivers? Dumb Drivers? Bad Manners? Yep, Albany has them all. But the worst? Not by a long shot... http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82006141/

rock 2 years, 4 months ago

You did not mention what road or street this is happening on! I have seen drivers signaling a left hand turn from the right lane of a divided highway and cross 3 lanes of traffic. On johnson road, drivers turn left without gettting into the turning lane, The there are those of you who stop dead, turn like you have "a three tier cake" in your car or worse yet are so short and low riding you cannot see above your steering wheel and stall traffic. Passing in a residential area is nuts, but if you live on aroad with turning lanes and do not utilize them, then you are at fault.

bubbasmithredneck 2 years, 4 months ago

I bet this is the taxpayers house....lol

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 4 months ago

LOL bubba it not my house. I don't use blinkers that too much info from the guy behind me. I just slow down to 3 mph and creep out of the street. I have found a blinking light just confuses most drivers in Albany.But thanks for taking the shot.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 4 months ago

While you are all out driving all around in the coming few days to go out and vote, don't forget to Pull the Democrat ballot between now and next Tuesday July 31st if you want to vote for Lane Price for DoCo School Board At-Large slot. If you pull the Republican ballot......she ain't on it!!

Be aware so as not to screw up!

firefly 2 years, 4 months ago

The squawker doesn't indicate if they are turning left or right into their driveway. All the squawker said was that he/she had their blinker on. Was the driver going at an extremely slow speed with their blinker on for several houses? Did they put their blinker on and then slam on brakes to turn in? Not enough information given for me to sympathize. All I have to say to this squawker is: If this is all you have to complain about, count your blessings! Next time this happens, say a prayer for the driver passing you.