When a 5:30 a.m. Tuesday fire raged through a house at 1510 Skylark Lane, firefighters took gas cans off the back porch before the cans could ignite and explode, said Sam Harris, Albany Fire Department arson investigator. The fire was not arson and the gas cans had nothing to do with the fire, he added.
ALBANY, Ga. — Firefighters at a blazing house fire just before dawn took red plastic gas cans off a back porch before the fire could cause the fuel to explode, Albany Fire Department officials said.
There were no residents in the home at the time of the fire, said Sam Harris, AFD arson investigator. No firefighter injuries were reported.
Fire Department reports state firefighters responded about 5:30 a.m. to a home at 1510 Skylark Lane, about seven miles south of downtown off Liberty Expressway. Flames licked the sky and smoke blotted visibility. Firefighters had the blaze under control about 6:28 a.m.
“The gasoline cans had nothing to do with what started the fire,” harris said. “This was not an arson. The gas cans just had to be removed and emptied before they exploded.”
In the rear of the single-story brick home, two empty gas cans sat near a riding lawnmower. Another empty can sat outside the garage next to a nearly 3-foot-tall pile of ashes and debris.
The home sustained heavy fire and smoke damage throughout. The financial damage was estimated at $80,000 for the property and $20,000 for the contents.
Harris said he would wait until the residents returned from Washington, D.C., on Tuesday and tell them the cause of the fire before releasing any more information.