ELECTION 2012: Dougherty County School Board at-large - Anita Williams-Brown

Anita Williams-Brown

Anita Williams-Brown

ALBANY, Ga.— Dougherty County School Board at-large member Anita Williams-Brown says her passion for children is behind her quest for a second term on the board.

“I grew up in poverty and love all children, but I have a special passion for children in poverty,” Williams-Brown, who is vice chair of the School Board, said. “I could be a rich woman, but I spend most of my money on children in poverty.”

To read more about Anita Williams-Brown's opponent, Lane Price, click here

Williams-Brown received her early education in the public schools of Dougherty County. In 1969 she earned her B.S. degree in Health and Physical Education from Albany State University. Later she earned a M.Ed. from American University, an Educational Administration add-on from Albany State University, and Educational Specialist and Doctoral degrees in Curriculum and Instruction from Sarasota University.

“Kids in certain parts of Albany have it made. They are getting what they need to learn,” she said. “But others who go to certain schools have parents who are involved with drugs, have a parent in jail or are afraid to go to sleep at night for fear they might be molested.

“They show up for school sleepy and hungry. I once taught a child whose power had been cut off for 30 days. He smelled because he could not bathe. How are these kids supposed to learn?”

Williams-Brown thinks the school system has to be innovative to reach these children.

“We’ve got to get outside of the box,” said Williams-Brown. “Our CTAE (career, technology, agriculture education) and medical arts programs that fit the needs of these kids. Not all are equipped to go to college and this is where we need to do a better job.”

For many of the more than 16,000 students in the DCSS, Williams Brown says school should be a place of refuge.

“In many ways school should also be a safety net for children,” she said. “So when a child comes into the classroom not only to learn but to work on skills and are not just out on the streets floating around.”

Williams-Brown acknowledged that her last two years on the board have been filled with turmoil.

“If I have to give the school board a grade right now, I’d have to give us a ‘C,’” Williams-Brown said. “We’re not meeting our ethics goals right now and many on the board are coming from different avenues.”

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Just vote NO! No answers here!

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, there are many sad situations in the school system. Children living in cars. But now you do not deal directly with these kids. They money is not being spent on the kids. Teachers furnish pencils, crayons, tissues, sanitizers, on and on. They do get a stipend, but try buying computer cartridges and this is used up quickly. Sabbs is getting a goob of the money that could be used to really help the kids. The school system could be turned around if you decided to use volunteers and set up places around the school system for tutoring. I know for a fact this is not happening. There should be a countywide plea for good qualified helpers. They are there, you just have never asked.

carbonrob 1 year, 8 months ago

Just what DCSS needs, another "reverend" with poor grammar.

Citizen1 1 year, 8 months ago

Certified degrees in medicine, radiology, oncology and in Dougherty County since 2009 makes Dr Price the best for this position? Citizens of DoCo look at the complete picture before voting yes to Dr Price.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't you just mean "the picture"? Just look at "the picture".....?

bubbasmithredneck 1 year, 8 months ago

THE BOE needs people in office who have experience in education...period!

B4it 1 year, 8 months ago

What if it is BAD experience and BAD decisions? Would you still want them to represent you and the kids in school?

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

I like what you said Dr. Brown we do need to think outside the box and more people need to look at career-tech programs instead of college....they make more on average than college degree students...but I am leery of this being merely lip service and would like to hear more about an actual PLAN

PatrickY2K 1 year, 8 months ago

Dr. Williams-Brown,

When 3:00 comes and goes this afternoon and no money is repaid to the DCSS, how will you (as the head of the Finance Committee) vote to proceed?

Since you did not hold Goseer accountable for spending school funds to post bail for a student, I am not optimistic that the DCSS is interested in getting the money returned, another 4-3 vote along the racial lines of the School Board.

Sincerely, A Lane Price Supporter

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

Please do not think that if Price is elected that voting will not go down racial lines....that would take changes in voting on both sides.....your post makes it seem as if only the black board members are doing that....some may even argue that 43% (3 white board members) representation on the school board for less than 10% of the school population is too much since it does not reflect the population of the kids (not) being served.....

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

THAT 43% HAS 90% OF THE MONEY.

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

I disagree....maybe 90% of the land

PatrickY2K 1 year, 8 months ago

I want the vote to be 4-3 for things that make sense - don't do a national search for superintendent, just to vote for your friend, the 34th most qualified candidate; don't abstain from the vote when employees need to be held accountable for spending funds to bail a student out of jail; don't create jobs for friends when student-related programs are going under-funded.

June Bug babbles at meetings like he just had a stroke. Williams-Brown (when she's present) refers to whites as "the powers that be," and says that the current issue with Title I funds is just a small misunderstanding. Do I really need to summarize Velvet Riggins's contributions to the DCSS? At least Bush is telling anyone who will listen that he made a big mistake pushing for Murphree to be hired, a mistake I hope he will rectify in May (if not sooner).

The Board could be 100% black and do a great job, but the current 57% is not.

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

The current 43% aren't so great either in my eyes....I for one would keep Dr. Brown and remove the other 6....

MisterEd 1 year, 8 months ago

And with this statement right there you have why the system is headed to hell in a handbasket.....smh.

PatrickY2K 1 year, 8 months ago

I would rather have a Board member who votes rather than abstains, holds the DCSS accountable, and votes for what is right rather than asking Bush how to vote. That isn't Williams-Brown.

Again, I'm not bragging about anyone on the Board, just looking for any four members who can turn around this mess.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

VOTE DR. PRICE INTO OFFICE AND LET'S GET DOWN TO THE NITTY GRITTY AND REPAIR OUR BROKEN SCHOOL SYSTEM. IF YOU VOTE FOR BROWN-WILLIAMS THEN YOU MUST NOT CARE TO MUCH FOR YOUR CHILDREN. PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN WHEN YOU VOTE.

43cop 1 year, 8 months ago

Even for you that want her back in office, the "kiss" of death was placed when the Rev, James Bush endorsed her. I use the abbrevation "Rev" because if he is a Rev., then I must be an astronaut and I sure don't remember a space flight.

VOTE LANE PRICE VOTE LANE PRICE VOTE LANE PRICE VOTE LANE PRICE