Squawk of the Day - July 27, 2012

"I think it is ridiculous that Terrell County is starting back to school July 30. Give me one good reason why they can’t start back after Labor Day, as we did years ago and like they still do up North and out West."

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Amen! That's how we did it when I grew up and I turned out great!

Jimboob 1 year, 8 months ago

And there isn't any more to learn than when you went to school?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

If you think they're learning MORE today than when I went to school.....well you are starting with a real bad assumption. Not teaching more and certainly not learning more around here.

Jimboob 1 year, 8 months ago

I didn't say they were learning more... just that there is more to learn.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

They aren't even teaching real history any more. It's all about the "movements".

guardian 1 year, 8 months ago

They're not staying in school longer; just getting out for the summer earlier.

rightasrain 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree with Jimboob; there is no more to learn today than when we were in school too many years ago; reason being is that the great majority of the teachers were just 'milled' through ASU, can't speak understandable English, just looking for sunset and payday.

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

Get over it. They forget what they supposedly learned during the summer. When I was in school we got 2 days off for Thanksgiving. Now we get a week and do not see you complaining about that. I would rather have the week. BTW to we use to get out in June. We still go the same number of days.

Sapphireblue959 1 year, 8 months ago

Where is Terrell County School System ranked in the State of Georgia? Ok!

Shinedownfan 1 year, 8 months ago

I think It's got alot to do with the Semester System. We were on the Quarter System: Fall, Winter and Spring. Now they have the Semester System: two halves and they want to be done with the first half before Christmas Break.

Now what they should do is reduce all these holidays and days off between now and Christmas so they wouldnt have to start so early.

TheMember 1 year, 8 months ago

Same number of days in school as before, they just get out in the middle of May instead of the middle of June like we did. However, I do agree that they should start later and end later. I think they are preparing for year round school, which would be a good thing.

scooby62 1 year, 8 months ago

Oh good! Somebody who actuall agrees with me! For everyone against year round schools, as yourselves 1 question. How much of what your children learn during the school year do they retain during the summer? On the year round system, they wouldn't have time to forget anything.

MisterEd 1 year, 8 months ago

What a crock of crap. I haven't been in school in over 22 years, and that was my last year of college. I still remember and recall things from elementary, middle, and high school. Know why? Because my parents EXPECTED me to learn and retain, and wouldn't settle for less than my best effort.

Year round school would kill the ability of older students to get and hold jobs that some of them need for car payments, insurance, etc. And younger children wouldn't be able to attend camps or perhaps visit family members in other states. And those are just some starters.

stc1993 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree Mr Ed I grew up in Orlando & came to GA during the summer for 2 months & helped on my uncles farm. To me it was fun to get away from the city for awhile.

Sixty 1 year, 8 months ago

Sisruby - I know it does not seem like it in the DCSS but the children are being exposed to a lot more at younger ages in school now. The key word is "exposed". I am not saying they are learning the material. To learn it, you must study. That is where we are falling short.

erock 1 year, 8 months ago

If something isn't done in Albany, soon there will be no kids left to teach. Instead they will be "rehabilitated" in our state penal system

durbin 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm all for year round schools. The kids do better academically, have better nutrition, better retention and are better behaved than the kids in the other schools(in the state where i lived)

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

There are more assumptions and hyperbole than conclusive research on YRE. While it seems logical that students would learn more if they were studying more it's not always the case students are actually in class more in YRE programs. Many schools call there programs YRE even though students only attend 180 days per years which are scattered over 12 months. The approach quite effectively utilizes facilities and staff to avoid building costs in over crowded school districts. Strong clinical evidence indicates that lower socioeconomic groups tend to show more "spring slide" with extended summer breaks than students who continue to learn by travel, reading programs, visits to museums, zoos, family interaction, etc. Those in the latter group would forfeit valuable growth experiences when required to attend YR programs. There are arguments about improved nutrition and social supervision for disadvantaged students which have merit though nothing compensates for loss of parental involvement and care. If the system (Terrell) wants to try YRE it should add at least 50-60 days of instruction up to 11th grade and discontinuing 12th years for achievers.

confusedCITIZEN 1 year, 8 months ago

Truth b told it is actually called YR, they start earlier so that after each nine weeks they have intercession!

RedEric 1 year, 8 months ago

I used to work in a factory that hired summer help to allow regulars to have family vacations. A lot of the summer help were teachers. I don't know if local teachers would be willing to give up the extra income..if they work during time off. As I think about it I knew teachers who tried to remain immobile as possible during summers off.

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

So this squawk gets squawk of the day 2 days in a row, or is Albany Herald taking the day off, or is someone sleeping on the job?