First CRCT Tribunals Set for Tuesday

— hree elementary teachers implicated in the governor’s report on alleged CRCT cheating in 2009 within the Dougherty County School System will learn their fates Tuesday.

Martin Luther King’s Jennifer Smith, Turner’s Fatima Jackson and Sherwood Acres’ Alberta Walker are scheduled to appear before and an administrative tribunal Tuesday morning at 9 a.m at the school administrative building board room.

The hearings are open to the public.

Tuesday’s three-member administrative panel, selected from a pool of nine people, will consist of Scott Chestnutwood of Tifton, Wanda West of Macon and Jack Willis of Panama City Beach, Fla.

Chestnutwood is a retired superintendent of Tift County Schools. West is a member of the Bibb County Board of Education. Willis is a retired Wheeler County Elementary School principal.

“I can’t give you an exact number of people who will appear before the tribunals,” School System Attorney Tommy Coleman said Friday. “We might have a few more resignations and we are still working with some others.”

In December, an investigative team consisting of former Georgia Attorney General Mike Bowers, former DeKalb County District Attorney Robert Wilson, former Atlanta police detective Richard Hyde and Georgia Bureau of Investigation agents completed a four-month probe into alleged CRCT in the system’s 16 elementary schools.

The resulting 293-page report cited a “failure of leadership at all levels, including the Board of Education, contributed to cheating in DCSS.”

The report named 49 system teachers and administrators. Over the past few months, some of the teachers and principals resigned or retired, some were were fired and some were no longer in the system.

In late June, five teachers who had been cited in the state investigators’ report were rehired by the board, while two paraprofessionals were terminated. The elementary school teachers who were rehired were Katrice Kegler, who taught at MLK, Tekeela Austin at Sherwood, and Deborah Anderson, Elicia Evans and Trina Faulkner, all at Alice Coachman. Coleman said in those five cases the school system couldn’t find evidence to corroborate the state report.

The BOE reassigned 12 teachers to the Isabella Complex and removed three principals to the Exceptional Students Program.

Those teachers and administrators were among 24 whose contracts were not renewed by the system in mid June.

The tribunals will hear those cases, then make recommendations to the School Board, which can then offer new contracts, let the non-renewals stand or suspend the accused.

The teachers and administrators will be represented by attorneys from the Georgia Educators Association, Professional Association of Georgia Education or independently retained counsel.

However, even if the educators are cleared, Coleman said their case files will be turned over to the state’s Professional Standards Commission, who could investigate and pull certifications.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

Will these individuals come lawyered up? Is that allowed? Will they bring their spouses/significant others if they exist? Is that allowed? Will their entire family grammammas, cousins, brothers, sisters etc be in attendance? Just wondering what the protocol is.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

Why don't you come over here and give it a go?

My other question is "Will they refuse to answer on the grounds that their answer might tend to incriminate them....on the advice of counsel" ???

lynn227 1 year, 9 months ago

I make it a point of getting that personal with humans, only. As for your other question? Principals and Superintendants like that strategy. Evidently, they have fears of self-incrimination. For your FYI folder, none of the persons you are merrily roasting above are scheduled for tribunal. Oops! Did I just throw a rock at Tommy Coleman? Ask Terry to consult his SPECIAL friend. LOL

SMHgain 1 year, 9 months ago

Your rude comment was uncalled for. I guess Sister touched a nerve with you.

lynn227 1 year, 9 months ago

Rude? People who step into conversation not invited are considered rude. It was an A/B conversation. C can go home now!

agonized 1 year, 9 months ago

It's also been reported. It's vulgar and disgusting. Personal insults are not warranted.

lynn227 1 year, 9 months ago

Nothing I said was vulgar. You interjected what your nasty little mind wanted to put there. You should report yourself. Now go bully someone else!

agonized 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, not to worry...it's been removed so I won't "bully" you any more. I honestly don't know what your comment could have been interpreted any differently, but I will certainly "C" my way out...

waltspecht 1 year, 9 months ago

The heck with a tribunal, when will they be going to court?

straightface 1 year, 9 months ago

Cant wait til the show is on the other foot for you all that are taking about these teachers.. And then i want to know whether you feel you were treated fairly or not or whether you need a lawyer.. from what i heard.. the tapes they have grom the GBI say nothing and these teachers are all gonna get there jobs back, they just are trying to please the community with these expensive tribunals which the citycant afford.. So be patient it is all about to be over.. Just keep check on whats going on in ATL, all those teachers are being reinstated.. the GBI needed MONEY! and thanks to citizens like you all we let them come in and corrupt our city along with other majority black cities..

MRKIA 1 year, 9 months ago

SOON EVERYONE IN DCSS WILL BE AS IGNORANT AS YOU.

MisterEd 1 year, 9 months ago

'"and thanks to citizens like you all we let them come in and corrupt our city along with other majority black cities.."

OMG........you have got to be kidding me. The majority black cities have corrupted themselves without a damn bit of help from the GBI, FBI, or any other "I".........now if you want to throw out some initials that have helped corrupt majority black cities, let's go with ACLU and NAACP for starters.

Cartman 1 year, 8 months ago

The "GBI needed MONEY"? And that is what "...corrupt [sp] our city along with other majority black cities"? I'm glad you uncovered all that. I was wondering what corrupted them so badly. At first, I thought it was their own greed, self-interest, and racism. But it was the GBI all along. I guess the hidden agenda has now been exposed. Thanks for posting. It's all becoming clear to me now.

iko 1 year, 9 months ago

Please support SPLOST. Our "leaders" need more money to steal.

RedEric 1 year, 8 months ago

How many ATL CRCT cheaters were given their jobs back? All I saw were a couple that changed their plea. You know "I said I was guilty before I said I was innocent.". Personally, I have no doubt that some cheaters here did not know they were doing wrong, but that is because they do not know the difference.

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

Some of those accused simply were doing what they had been shown to do when they came into the DCSS system. My point is they had to be educated enough to know what they were doing was wrong. So saying they were only following orders really doesn't excuse it. The ones that need to take the fall are the ones that taught them that this was the correct way to handle the problem. About like those at Parents Night that used to give out Free Lunch Applications and encourage people to fill them out and turn them in and allow the system to decide if they were eligable or not. Full well knowing the application would probably be approved without ever being looked at. If I remember right, some help in filling them out was provided on occassion.

tocar 1 year, 8 months ago

If you are educated enough to teach our children, then you are intelligent enough to know right from wrong. Cheating is cheaing. I don't want cheaters teaching our children. They should be reprimanded.