Squawk of the Day -July 31, 2012

"I challenge Dr. Murfree to go to Dougherty High School on Aug. 6 and see if schedules are ready for the students. Continue to go each day and see how long it takes. Students see no reason to go to school when there’s no schedule and they have to sit in the gym."

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

Good Grief! Do you mean to infer that the Administrators have failed to adequately prepare for the upcomming school term? Or will it once again be blamed on student transfers, which should have been known about if the students were advised as to which school to report to? Or do they have a habit of showing up at a school of their choosing? Just trying to get a handle on this.

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

It is probably furloughs. But they will get them soon enough. The first day is always hectic. But this is disdain for respect for school rules. If you have to sit in the gym, so be it. You all roam the halls and fight in the bathrooms, so how is this any different? It is playday.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

--it's all about the students!! BULL FEATHERS, I heard someone on the news the other night refer to Dougherty High as "that school across the river". What makes you think the school board gives a damn about weather Dougherty High is ready for the school year? GO TROJANS!! Show this God-forsaken town who.s best--

jglass 1 year, 8 months ago

WOW!!!! I cannot believe they get paid so well to not do a job or perform. I wish things would change, but I guess it will be the same ole, same ole........................

Citizen_A 1 year, 8 months ago

Furloughs are no excuse, and downtown admin. is no excuse either...Westover High has been on it. My kid got their schedule last week, and we have even gotten a mistake on the schedule fixed. A friend who's child goes to AHS, was not only able to get a schedule, but able to work with the counselor to get it right. So it seems they are on it.

URWrongAgain 1 year, 8 months ago

@waltspecht

I know I'll be accused of defending the current administration, but just to give you a little historical perspective, this is not an uncommon occurrence. When my child was in high school (recently). Each year they would spend the first one-two days of school in the auditorium/gym trying to get the correct schedule. Some of the blame goes to parents who don't pay attention to what classes their children sign up for, which often affects their track for graduation (I am guilty). Some of the blame DOES go to the fact that students (often prodded by parents) are trying to transfer in and out of schools at the last minute. And of course there is the administrative perspective. After so many years of this happening, you would think some controls would be put in place by now. But I fear they haven't. Just to sum it up. This is a collective problem, that CAN be solved. Credit to the squawker for bringing it to light....whatever the motivation.

willie 1 year, 8 months ago

Who is the person or persons that select witch Squawk will be placed in the daily online? The reason I ask is, do they think this is a joke, do they not realize the harm in splitting the community by the posting of such dribble. What do the editors and those in charge of this yesterday's newspaper think. What do you think people and companies who are considering a move to this area after reading this Squawk/Blog for a few days say to each other. It is one thing to report the same news for days, however, it is something of an embarrassment to air your dirty laundry daily.

Progressive 1 year, 8 months ago

Maybe it's time to wash the laundry, and clean house, so that so much will not be aired.

waltspecht 1 year, 8 months ago

If I brought in a group of Contractors to work and didn't have everything laid out so there wouldn't be any wasted time, I wouldn't be working. This is a waste of educational time, and it is the Administrator's job to assure it doesn't happen. No matter what the reason. It sets a poor example for the start of a new school term.

Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

I wonder if the 33rd highest candidate would have prepared for school to open? Give the guy a break, though, perhaps the ministers that control his puppet strings didn't tell him when school was going to open this year.

willie 1 year, 8 months ago

Where I come from those that control the "strings" are refered to as the "pulpit p$$ps" .

They run mostly cities on the downside and are not held to standards as those who pay taxes.

This is not anything new or extraordinary, as it happens all across this country each and every day...............

VietVet1 1 year, 8 months ago

.......wait......#34 is deciding which bow tie to wear.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

There are 20 reasons at least for the registration debacle but not a single excuse.

whodat 1 year, 8 months ago

I challenge the squawker to go to any high school on the first day of school. It's all about gearing up for the new school year. The first day is not like the 150th day when the train has reached maximum speed and is chugging down the tracks. Oh, and btw, the schedules at Dougherty High are ready to be picked up AND HAVE BEEN SINCE LAST WEEK.