Fullerton to return to State House

Carol Fullerton

Carol Fullerton

ALBANY, Ga. — Election evening found incumbent candidate for Georgia House, District 153, Carol Fullerton relaxing at her home with family and friends.

“I feel pretty confident at this point,” Fullerton said Tuesday night, “but it’s still far from over.”

When the final unofficial tallies were reported Tuesday night, Fullerton had claimed more than seven out of every 10 votes cast in the 15 precincts that comprise District 153. With all but provisional ballots counted, she held a 5,181-2,067 advantage over challenger Muarlean Edwards, who currently represents District 3 on the Dougherty County Commission.

Fullerton and her husband, Greg, said the voter turnout was considerably greater this election than for the primary two years ago. She attributed that to the satisfaction of her constituents with her service to Dougherty County.

“They (the voters) wanted to make sure I was re-elected,” Fullerton said.

Fullerton has represented Albany in the Georgia House since 2009 and was seeking her third two-year term. She has served on the Albany City Commission and the Albany Water, Gas & Light Commission Board.

Calling herself “an old-time Democrat,” Fullerton’s primary election pitch has been her willingness and ability to work efficiently on both sides of the isle. She’s well aware of her party’s minority status in the state-wide political picture and is prepared to vote Republican when it “makes sense,” she said. Both Fullerton and Edwards are Democrats with no Republican challenger.

Fullerton said one of her first projects would be to meet with her delegation in Albany and at the State House concerning funding for the Ray Charles Fine Arts Center at Albany State University.

Currently, Fullerton serves on five House committees: Economic Development and Tourism; Energy, Utilities and Telecommunications; Health and Human Services; Higher Education and Natural Resources & Environment.

Edwards will be

leaving the County Commission when her term expires at the end of the year. Clinton Johnson won that commission seat in Tuesday’s elections.

Comments

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

“I don’t consider myself a politician,” Edwards said. - No one else does either.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Good one Fryar.....she said it...huh? No one put the words in her mouth did they? At least she was honest about ONE thing in her life. Nope.....a politician you ain't!!!

MRKIA 2 years, 1 month ago

HOPEFULLY THIS WILL BE THE LAST OF ANYONE IN THIS FAMILY BEING ELECTED TO PUBLIC OFFICE. GOOD-BYE AND GOOD-RIDDANCE.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Looks like Nathan Deal can take back all those new under draws he bought from K-Mart. Edwards is staying home. I'm glad he didn't open the packages and kept the receipt.

I can't wait to find out why it took so long for the final 4-5 precincts to come in. Did they not have enough bogus ballots to make up a 2,000 vote gap in the School Board race?

MRKIA 2 years, 1 month ago

WHERE'S BVR AND COACH? I THINK THEIR UNDERCOVER VOTES FOR FULLERTON AND PRICE MIGHT HAVE HELPED ALTHOUGH THEY WON'T ADMIT IT.

FryarTuk 2 years, 1 month ago

Why did Ginger Nickerson not release the individual precinct results after the polls were closed and the individual precincts were tabulated and certified? This is not the standard method of election results reporting. Transparency is the best policy.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years ago

The democratic process has made it's choice, I live in the high rent district, Fullerton wasn't on my ticket.

I congratulate the winners and look forward in working for a better City and State.

I've decided to cut the cheerleaders some slack. Coach is out of the country, I told him that he's badly missed by the cheerleaders.

Keep hope alive! The real alive deal!

MRKIA 2 years ago

BVR:DON'T CUT ME ANY SLACK SUCKER, I CAN HANDLE MINE. THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING. YEAH COACH IS AS QUIET AS A CHURCH MOUSE AND YOU AREN'T TALKING SO BIG YOURSELF NOW. STEP BACK SON, WE GOT THIS. BTW, I DON'T RENT, I "OWN".