GOP heads toward runoff in 2nd District

ATLANTA — Rick Allen appeared headed toward a runoff election Tuesday night on the Republican race for the 2nd Congressional District nomination.

Both of the other two candidates in the race, however, were well within striking distance of qualifying for an Aug. 21 runoff election.

At 11:30 p.m. Tuesday with 22 of the district’s 29 counties reporting, Allen had 9,583 votes, giving him 40.8 percent of the ballots that had been counted by that point.

John House was in the No. 2 position with 7,886 votes, or 33.6 percent. Ken DeLoach was third with 6,013 votes, or 25.6 percent.

A candidate needed a simple majority — 50 percent plus one vote — to win the nomination outright.

Once a Republican nominee is determined, he will face longtime U.S. Rep. Sanford Bishop, D-Albany, in the Nov. 6 General Election.

Bishop had no Democratic challengers in Tuesday’s primary.

Comments

Kay523 2 years, 1 month ago

House will be history when people find out he just moved to Georgia from Alabama to run for Congress.

whattheheck 2 years, 1 month ago

Where did he live and when did he move?

msa651 2 years, 1 month ago

All the candidates were good, I wish Rick and John the best in the runoff.

I am disappointed though, in the conservative turnout. The Democrats turned out more than 2 to 1 in the district. This does not look good for November.

SalukiGrad 2 years, 1 month ago

Those number lie a good bit too.... I know many a Republican who voted DEM in Albany just to oust Anita Brown from the School Board.

Cartman 2 years, 1 month ago

My Albany friends had to pull a Democratic ballot in order to have a say in local elections.

43cop 2 years, 1 month ago

I am one in Albany that had to pull a Democratic ballot so I could get a good person on the DCSS Board in hopes that we can get some accounting for the plain "stupid" things that the preacher and the bug are doing along with Murfree.