Price wins school post

Challenger Lane Price has 8,685 votes to 6,499 for the incumbent Anita Williams-Brown.

B.J Fletcher, left, talks with DCSS board member candidate Lane Price during Tuesday night’s campaign party on Whispering Pines Road.

ALBANY — Challenger Lane Price defeated incumbent Anita Williams-Brown by more than 2,150 votes to claim the Dougherty County School Board at-large seat.

With all but provisional votes counted Tuesday night, unofficial election results showed Price, a political newcomer, had 8,685 votes, or 57.2 percent, to Williams-Brown’s 6,499 votes, 42.4 percent.

Price, the medical director at the Willson Hospice House, said Tuesday night that she was thrilled with the numbers.

“I am thrilled, honored, humbled and really amazed at the turnout and the fact that this many citizens of the county want to see a change,” Price said late Tuesday as she left a gathering for her campaign workers. “They care and they want to see a change in our school system.

“They recognize that having a good strong school board will lead to a good school system. We finally have seen an indication that the community wants to work in a unified manner.”

Earlier in the evening, Williams-Brown sounded pessimistic about her chances of retaining the post.

“No one really gave me much of a chance to win the seat the first time,” Williams-Brown said at a campaign gathering at the American Legion Post 512. “This time, they pumped $71,000 into my opponent’s campaign to make sure of it. I did not have the resources or personnel to run the strong campaign I wanted to.”

Williams-Brown, an Albany native and Monroe High graduate, had been holding out hope earlier Tuesday night.

“I think I have gotten my message out there. I admit I am a little antsy right now, but my precincts are not in yet,” she said.

Comments

PatrickY2K 1 year, 8 months ago

Does Williams-Brown understand the reason that she didn't have supporters or money, while her oppoent did? Does she think "they" pumping money into Price's campaign was some sort of conspiracy?

When you do a bad job, you don't get to keep your job. See how that works, Goseer and Murfree?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah, the loss couldn't have anything to do with the fact of her pathetic tenure on the Board these past four years, could it?

Good riddance!! Now she can stay up in Hawkinsville. Please! Them Lexus don't get great gas mileage so that will save her some expense money not having to drive down here all the time.

FryarTuk 1 year, 8 months ago

Why is Ginger Nickerson withholding the precinct results after all the polls have closed? That has never been done. Release the precinct results as they are tabulated, transparency is the best policy.

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

BYE-BYE MS. BROWN, THANKS FOR MURFREE. HE WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE END FOR YOU KNUCKLE- HEADS. FINALLY DCSS MIGHT BE CLEANED UP. MURFREE AND RIGGINS ARE NEXT ALONG WITH CRCT CHEATS.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

I can't wait to find out why it took so long for the final 4-5 precincts to come in. Did they not have enough bogus ballots to make up a 2,000 vote gap in the School Board race?

MisterEd 1 year, 8 months ago

Looks like that "hidden agenda" that Bubbadumas talks about is starting to kick in.........hahahahaha.

ClarityPleez 1 year, 8 months ago

For clarity, in Dr. Williams-Brown's statement, "they pumped $71,000 into my opponent’s campaign to make sure of it," I'm curious who exactly "they" is supposed to be. Is that "code" or does everybody know who "they" is? Inquiring minds want to know!

PatrickY2K 1 year, 8 months ago

"They" and "the powers that be" are the same people.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Exact. Tommie Postell speaks it a little plainer.

agonized 1 year, 8 months ago

"They" could be made up of a group of the "somebody"s who helped business owners build every small, medium or large business in the US.

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 8 months ago

"They" is the opposite of "my" in "...my precincts are not in..."

ClarityPleez 1 year, 8 months ago

I noticed that Price won the seat but only won 12 of 28 precincts. The precincts she won, she won BIG.

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

"THEY" ARE PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF WHO WANTED A CHANGE IN THE AT LARGE SEAT. REAL SIMPLE, WE WANTED HER GONE. THAT'S WHO "THEY" ARE.

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

Congrats Ms Price....although I did not vote for you the people of the district have spoken and I will support them and you

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

You voted for Williams-Brown?? Really???

hotdog 1 year, 8 months ago

I did not vote because I am not in that district.....

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

This was at "at large" election for the entire County. If you don't live in DoCo, then you don't have a horse in the race and should stop commenting on things that do not affect you.

TheMember 1 year, 8 months ago

uh oh, somebody got caught telling a story!!!LOL Look at hotdogs previous posts and you will see he/she didn't vote for Price, she was "a little taller on the radio" as Buford T. Justice would say.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

hahahaha.....good one TheMember...a knee slappin funny...ain't nothin funnier than a good ole Buford T. Justice sayin, huh? Say it ain't so..did someone tell a fib..gasp....not hotdog!!!...hahahaha......scuse me I gotta go laugh some more.

chinaberry25 1 year, 8 months ago

Praise the Lord!! This is beginning of cleaning up the school system and those children can grow up to be self supporting adults. Times, they are a changin!!

rorschach 1 year, 8 months ago

Congratulations to Dr. Price. The community has spoken.

bigbob 1 year, 8 months ago

One down, so many still to go.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

I guess what is really pathetic is that only 15,000 people in this town voted at such a crucially important time for the future of this city. WOW!!! Pretty sad.

USTPC 1 year, 8 months ago

That and the fact that over 42% voted for AWB in spite of the blatant disregard for the students by her and others on the board. I guess those 6500 voters either do not have kids in the Dougherty County school system or they do not car about their kids education.

Progressive 1 year, 8 months ago

Or maybe they saw the signs posted on the entrance doors that said "ID Required".

RedEric 1 year, 8 months ago

And they had no ID what was goin on!

TheMember 1 year, 8 months ago

Count your blessings that that was all who voted, that was all the white folks we have left.

Progressive 1 year, 8 months ago

Congrats to Dr. Price! Now down to the first order of business = I make a motion to call for Murfree's resignation.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, I second the motion, but may I ask that we see his REAL credentials? It would be interesting to see just what kind of a background he has in whatever field he studied that his pals felt he was so suited for the position.

LuLu 1 year, 8 months ago

Who would want the job, though?? DCSS is rancid and anyone with true credentials who's been paying attention wouldn't want to touch this place with a ten-foot pole.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Here I come carrying my 11-foot pole and all I want to do is see his credentials..I want to know if he actually studied anything of real value or spent his days in front of a TV watching Soul Train while making up a bunch of junk with his pals when plotting to take over the DCSS. Now there, wasn't that easy to understand?

DCSSTeacher 1 year, 8 months ago

Here is your 11-foot pole: If you Google his name, Albany State still has a published copy of his curriculum vitae (resume) published online. You can access it for a very interesting read about a very arrogant man with more gloss than substance:

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Momof3 1 year, 8 months ago

Congrats Dr.Price. I hope this is the beginning of some major changes in the Dougherty County School Board and the system!

ontario1966 1 year, 8 months ago

Hey Brown! You lost! The people have spoken! I think there's a position open at the food line along with Baker and Riggins? Maybe they will put in a good word for you? Guess Starbucks is out of the agenda for you three! McDonalds is cheaper your going to need it LMAO!!! Good Going Dr Price! I hope you get bow tie man out, get rid of 34 and Hire # 1

beenhereawhile 1 year, 8 months ago

OK Dr. Price, I think it was pretty easy to beat someone who did so little on the school board. Now let's see if you can live up to what you said you were going to do

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

But remember, don't expect overnight miracles..look at the mess she is walking in to...it would be like expecting a person to clean up after the Tsunami in Japan with a mop and bucket the day after.

agirl_25 1 year, 8 months ago

Thank you for the 11-foot pole.......but I posted that same URL on July 30th and Fryar discussed it in detail..pointing out the gross mistakes, ie. grammar and spelling. I must admit I got a fine giggle out of how #34 sees himself. (POSTED IN WRONG PLACE)

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

Where's BVR? Probably licking his wounds.

bubbavet 1 year, 8 months ago

He is probably trying to get a recount.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 8 months ago

Buh, Bye, Anita! When you have your friend hired for a job he is not qualified to do is what killed it for you.

ontario1966 1 year, 8 months ago

Mama always said "Stupid is what Stupid does!" Brown that saying is what bit you in the Butt!

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 8 months ago

Please join me in congratulating incoming Lane Price, the democratic process is at work. I hopeful she will come in and make a positive difference, hopefully the arm chair cheerleaders will help us make the system better.

I have talked to Dr. Price, and she know what I expect. The real deal is always on point!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

If you really did talk to her I wonder if she could understand a single work you said or discern a single coherent thought. Or are you actually Anita Williams-Brown and this discussion took place when you called to congratulate her?

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 8 months ago

Oh Sister behave, join me in volunteering at some of the schools this upcoming term.

The Bubba is going back to school! - to volunteer.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

Suggestion: Volunteer to clean the toilets. Please don't get near the Chillrunnss!!

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

WATCHING THE RETURNS I PAID ATTENTION TO THE MAKEUP OF THE SUPPORTERS OF THE CANDIDATES IN THIS RACE AND THE DIFFERENCES ARE TELLING. PRICE APPEARED TO HAVE STRONG SUPPORT FROM THE BLACK AND WHITE COMMUNITIES. THEY CAME TOGETHER AND MADE A POSITIVE DIFFERENCE. THIS IS WHAT COMES FROM COOPERATING AND UNDERSTANDING. THIS IS NOT ABOUT BLACK "OR" WHITE, IT'S ABOUT RIGHT. IN A.W. BROWN'S CAMP I SAW 3 OR 4 APATHETIC LOOKING SOULS WHO LOOKED LIKE THEY HAD BETTER THINGS TO DO.

Citizen_A 1 year, 8 months ago

Congratulations Dr. Price...It will be nice to see some integrity on the board.

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

HEY BVR: CALL VELVET AND URGE HER TO TAKE THE DEAL OFFERED BY MULLHOLLAND.

VSU 1 year, 8 months ago

Funny, how quickly Anita Williamsi-Brown's sign was removed from a neighbor's house down the street.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 8 months ago

"Hey, bro'!...........I never heard of that B..........!"

Expecially that FOOL straight up across from the Doublegate Country Club! Ha!! He ran out there at 5am and burnt that Sh** in he back yard!!

doingwhatisright 1 year, 8 months ago

The teachers have spoken! Next...

MRKIA 1 year, 8 months ago

AGIRL: I TOOK A LOOK AT MURFREE'S RESUME AND ALL I SAW WAS A BUNCH OF B.S. THAT MEANS NOTHING. HE'S JUST A PENCIL-PUSHING DILDO. I WONDER WHAT INSTITUTION WILL BE STUPID ENOUGH TO HIRE HIM AFTER DCSS GETS RID OF HIM? WHOEVER DOES NEEDS TO BE IN AN INSTITUTION.