Squawk of the day - June 3, 2012

"Thank you, David Maschke, for telling us how much money DCSS has paid consultants in 2012. Is there any organization in this town that follows laws, rules or regulations?"

Comments

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Well there's the City and County Guvment and the School Super/Asst Super where the answer is "NO". Then there is Phoebe Putney and the Hospital Board and Sherwood Pictures where the answer is "WE DON'T HAVE TO TELL AND WE WON'T" and then there's all the rest of the ethical businesses and organizations who have nothing to hide and will do the right thing.

PatrickY2K 2 years, 1 month ago

Goseer thinks laws are merely suggestions, and should be followed only when convenient.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 1 month ago

In other words, in the City of Albany, the fox watches the hen house...There still has not been a satisfactory answer as to why a "consultant" would be 91,000 thousand dollars with no explanation of what he was hired to consult on. I want a job with DCSS as a consultant. I am certainly old enough that I could be consulted on some trivial matter that common sense could handle if the DCSS had any common sense.

bigbob 2 years, 1 month ago

This city is so corrupt its sad. I a'm one of those damb yankees who moved south several years ago for my job. I can say with absolutely no doubt that 90% of the people running this city would have been charfged with a crime in the north. This city is divided by color and the ones in charge a destroying it just to prove they can I guess. So very sad because there is no way any big bussiness would ever relocate here.

confusedCITIZEN 2 years, 1 month ago

It sad how bias these news post and squawks are, just reminds me that we are living in this new day an age with the same jim crow mentality. All federal grant money is allocated through the schools budget, if you do a little more research then you would see that Mr.Sabbs salary comes from grant money which clearly states what it is used for, doesnt seem corrupt to me.

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Obviously you support these clowns using taxpayers money to hire consultants because they are too dumb to figure things out for themselves. I guess if you are not a taxpayer it would be natural for it not to bother you to use taxpayers money.

PatrickY2K 2 years, 1 month ago

The funds were not spent with School Board approval!!

The legal issues aside, how about using the grant money efficiently by using DCSS teachers, DCSS educational resources, and hold the sessions in a DCSS facility (rather than renting a facility)? The funding would have gone much further, if the DCSS had run the program, rather than giving it (again, illegally) to one of Murfree's cronies.

Mr. Sabbs's ridiculous claim that his reading program single-handedly improved the Terrell County graduation rate from 40% to 70% is further evidence that he is no more qualified to lead a reading program, than #34 is to lead a school system.

Can the DCSS survive the last year of Murfree's contract?!?!

BettyBowTie 2 years, 1 month ago

How is that squawk in any way biased? Not one word of that squawk shows a bias toward anything except getting the truth. Not one word is racist, so why the Jim Crow comment? Your response to the above squawk makes no sense at all.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 1 month ago

Yea--a grant that RAN OUT and the school board continued to pay...

Happy 2 years, 1 month ago

How do you know that? Or is it speculation?

chinaberry25 2 years, 1 month ago

Grants come from taxpayers pockets. For all we know it could be used to line all their own pockets. Since only 15% of Albany pays any taxes, yes we should be concerned. Just look at Russia. When they got rid of the thugs over there, they became a rich country. We are fastly becoming Socialists giving more to the poor than our own babies.It does not pay anymore to work hard.

waltspecht 2 years, 1 month ago

Sadly, corruption is just as previlant "Up North" as it is here. The wind farms in NewYork State, Vermont and many other places have been shown to fund many a Politician's pocket. Small town corruption comes out all the time. Last time I was in Vermont, a City Treasurer and a County Clerk were caught with their hand in the till. I only visit twice a year for about a week, but the Burlington Free Press will usually have at least one Corrupt Politician in the headlines while I am there. They have the smae problems. If the Talk Shows on the Radio are any indication, New Jersey is a hot bed of corruption, especially in the larger Cities.

bigbob 2 years, 1 month ago

There may some corruption in the north of course but no where near as bad as Albany. Show me a school system in the north with a graduation rate about 50% that doesn't get completely overhauled. In Albany they bragg about getting that rate up to 54%, sorry Walt but that is just plain sad.

Happy 2 years, 1 month ago

The CRCT scandal as well as the Sabbs program started under Sally Whatley. Murfree is the one who found out about the Sabbs contract as he was going through every budget item individually to get rid of waste. Murfree is having to clean up after Whatley. Most of the news outlets in this area do not want you to know the whole truth because they want to indoctrinate you. Don't rely on the news to give you the entire story because they will not. Remember they are in the business to increase sales. They increase sales by fueling public outrage. Btw Sabbs works for Phoebe in their PR department. Don't you find it interesting that Phoebe (who supports Lane Price), would allow one of their PR employees to "moonlight" in this type of venture? Isn't it also interesting the Mashke did not sound the horn on this issue when Whatley was superintendent? Sounds like folks are playing good old fashioned politics with the people of Albany.

southwestga 2 years, 1 month ago

Whoa - that consultant is a 'close' personal friend of Murfree.

Happy 2 years, 1 month ago

Even if that is so ( I don't know this for fact because I have not heard Murfree or Sabbs state they are friends.). Contract started under Whatley. Kudos to Murfree for trying to get rid of the pork spending.

sogalake 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree with all of what Sister Ruby said except the part about Sherwood Baptist Church. If you are not a member there and do not contribute towards their programs, you have no reason to complain. This is a lot different from the government and the hospital where your dollars are used to advance unethical and/or wasteful practices. And no, I am not a member of Sherwood.

FlunkyMonkey 2 years, 1 month ago

I can't AFFORD to attend Sherwood Baptist. They let you know just by the way they look at you if you are welcome. Never felt like I belonged. Visited there twice. Neither time was I greeted, spoken to or had my hand shaken. Sister Ruby hit the nail on the head with Sherwood.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

What I'm saying is that both Phoebe and Sherwood are using the same reason for not responding to information requests from the Herald. "Immune from Open Records Requests" because they are not-for-profit. "Not For Profit" despite millions and millions of dollars coming in to their accounts. As I have said and will continue to say "If 'Sherwood Loves Southwest Georgia' as their billboards say, then why hold anything back?" What possible reason would there be to not give a basic disclosure to the Albany Community? I bet the members don't even know or get a full disclosure of Sherwood Pictures "profits" from the Sherwood Administration. So that's how they are exactly the same.

Mr_Heatmiser 2 years, 1 month ago

What in the world makes you think that Sherwood is in any way obligated or should even feel compelled to disclose anything to the Albany community?

And, please, I'm begging you, please, look up the definition of a non-profit organization. It does NOT mean that they are not allowed to bring in revenue, and it does not mean that they are not allowed to make a profit. It simply means that they must use these excess earnings for furthering the organization's stated goals and purposes, not for paying dividends to shareholders.