Sunset Grill restaurant closes

Sunset Grill has been part of Albany’s restaurant scene for the last ten years. The establishment has closed its doors for the last time at its location at the Albany Mall.

ALBANY -- It's been a great 10-year run for the Sunset Grill says Terry Ho, owner of the Albany Mall grill and sandwich shop.

However, Ho has declined to renew his lease and the restaurant has closed. As a reason for the closing, Ho cites a decline in business, especially for the last 18 months, which he attributes to a weak economy.

"Please let our customers know we deeply appreciate their support and loyalty over the past ten years," Ho said.

Ho, the owner of several area restaurants including House of China II and Hibachi Express, said the stir-fry grill would be transferred to a building adjoining Hibachi Express on Old Dawson Road "sometime in July."

"There's no healthier way to eat than stir-fry," Ho said.

Ho is also buying the majority interest of Rooster's, on Meredyth Drive, he said, together with Mike and Dolly Dollar. According to Ho, Rooster's will be revamped in a number of ways to be made "even better," including the addition of a nighttime seafood dinner, which Ho says will be "quality seafood at economical prices," and is based on a concept he discovered in Mobile, Ala.

Rooster's is expected to be fully renovated "sometime this summer," Ho said.

Comments

tommybeall 1 year, 10 months ago

This place has been an aesthetical dump for a long long time... not to mention the food. I revel in the demise of the mall..

tommybeall 1 year, 10 months ago

malls contribute to death of city centers, if you've not noticed.. malls suck the life out of independent business owners.. malls are a haven for crime, if you've not noticed.. malls destroy the uniqueness and diversity of local businesses... and, the only ones that make a profit.. are the mall owners.. that's why.. And by the way, Popinjay is a cute word, but has not been used in centuries.. go figure..

dingleberry 1 year, 10 months ago

It was the only place in Albany where you could eat a nice meal and carry on a normal conversation without having to outdo country, rap, or other loud music. At the end of a long day, I don't like to have to "fight" the music to talk across the table.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 10 months ago

Sad to see Sunset Grill go. But cannot wait until the "New" Roosters. I have always wondered why they didn't serve dinner. They have great food and sometimes it is hard for me to drive across town to have lunch there but could make it if they were open for dinner. Great idea, Terry Ho!!

boyoboy 1 year, 10 months ago

I know it is off the subject, but I remember when it was Yesterdays. Now that was a great place.

Cartman 1 year, 10 months ago

Yesterdays was good. But I really miss Morrisions! I'm sad to see the Sunset Grill go. We ate there occasionally and it was fine. I think a lot of Terry and his family. This town could use a few more businessmen with their ambition, work-ethic, and perseverence.

tommybeall 1 year, 10 months ago

Yesterday's was a class act... seems like ancient history for the city...

YDoICare 1 year, 10 months ago

Cartman, I believe you have just hit on one of the key issues for a better Albany and Dougherty County which the city and county commissioners and educational leadership regardless of whether they represent ASU, Darton, Tech, or local school systems fail to acknowledge. “This town could use a few more businessmen with their (Terry Ho and family) ambition, work-ethic, and perseverence.” His businesses are a few of the things I miss after leaving Albany. Terry is a class act in how he treats everyone, newcomer like I was or long term area resident, with courtesy and respect. The quantity of his product was always sufficient for the price, but his primary concern was its quality. Simply put, he works hard and has a genuine concern for his customers and the community. No matter who you are, you can definitely learn something from Terry. Too bad many elected officials and educational advocates today neglect the importance of the simple qualities you mentioned in making a better present and future. I’m proud to have known Terry while I was in GA.