Cases against Riggins, Baker moving toward trial date

photo

Velvet Riggins

ALBANY, Ga. — A Dougherty County School Board member and a former elementary school principal have been arraigned on charges a grand jury indicted them on in late April.

Arraignments for Velvet Riggins, District 3 representative for the board, along with former Morningside Elementary School Principal Gloria Baker — and her husband, John Baker — were conducted Tuesday in Dougherty Superior Court.

The three parties, who had been indicted on charges stemming from alleged school lunch fraud, all waived formal arraignments in connection to those charges.

This effectively moves the process forward to bring the cases to trial.

Under law, the purpose of an arraignment is for a defendant to be given a formal notice of what they are charged with. In an instance in which arraignment is waived, defendants are given a copy of the indictment and a witness list, explained South Georgia Assistant District Attorney Heather Lanier.

photo

Gloria Baker

Riggins was indicted on April 25 by a Dougherty County grand jury on two counts of theft by taking, public record fraud and providing false information to obtain free school meals for a child. The indictment stemmed from two 2011-12 free or reduced school lunch applications filed for her children at Robert Cross Middle Magnet School and Lincoln Elementary Magnet School.

Gloria Baker was indicted on three counts of public record fraud, two counts of theft by taking and two counts of providing false information to obtain free school meals for a child. John Baker was indicted on two counts of public record fraud, one count of theft by taking and two counts of providing false information to obtain free lunch for a child.

The Bakers were charged with fraud that is alleged to have taken place in November 2011.

Immediately following the indictments, Lanier filed a motion of intent to present evidence of similar transactions, pointing to language in lunch applications filed by Riggins for the 2007-08 and 2009-10 school years. The motion asserted that the “applications failed to fully report or disclose all earnings or wages from all employment and/or all monies received in child support payments on behalf of a school child/children...”

The case involving Riggins is being overseen by Superior Court Judge Stephen Goss.

After hearing arguments from both sides, Goss granted the state’s motion to allow them to submit the prior applications as evidence. A deadline of June 19 has been set for the defense to file a motion in the case, Lanier said.

Counsel is looking to get the case before a jury. It will likely be early July before any more trial matters are heard, Lanier said.

The case involving the Bakers are being presided over by Superior Court Judge Willie Lockette. He is expected to be scheduling a day to hear motions in that case. Gloria Baker has already filed a general challenge to the indictment, officials say.

Comments

VietVet1 2 years, 6 months ago

These type of people are why Albany will never prosper.

alleebrin 2 years, 6 months ago

Wonder who the DA will send in to "prosecute" these cases...

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 6 months ago

Joe Muholland is prosecuting these cases not the DA here. It would be a conflict of interest for Edwards if he prosecuted these two. Joe is tough so I am satisfied with that decision.

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 6 months ago

One thing that really concerns me is basically Riggins will remain in her seat since no one decided to run against her. Everyone talks about her being a crook but no one seems to have the courage to step up and challenge her in her district. I would have but I don't live in her district. Apathy is a live and well in this town. No one wants to take responsibility and do what is right for this community and our future community.

VSU 2 years, 6 months ago

That's because the people who live in that district have the same mindset of Riggins, or people like Da Corch who think she is doing a fabulous job, so it is only natural that no one will run against her.

waltspecht 2 years, 6 months ago

The logic is "There but for the grace of God go I." Unfortunately most of the constituants, and potential Jurors see nothing wrong in what they did. Only playing the system for all it is worth just like so many others. They just happened to get caught. Remember the one Juror in the case against Dawson Mayor on insurance fraud/

whattheheck 2 years, 6 months ago

It is unfortunate that fraud against the government is not considered a crime since things are 'owed" to the entitlement crowd. Same with the CRCT cheating--what's wrong with helping an under privileged child get ahead? We can't change the mentality in either case.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 6 months ago

We will learn the basic flaw in the "trial by jury" system in these two proceedings, I fear.

Outtahere 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, please move this toward trail date very quickly! I really hope she is no longer allowed to serve on the board!

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 6 months ago

look at Zimmerman, John Edwards, and others to make your point.However, Riggins and Baker are innocent. I'm a voter and I support people that are innocent. If found guilty then I would have to re-evaluate my stance, however, these people have not been found guilty of a crime.

Stop defaming them. The Reeeeeeeeeeeeeel Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Bubbavet_rureel

VSU 2 years, 6 months ago

It's only natural that a clown would support other clowns.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

Caught with hand in cookie jar! BUT Hey they are Innocent. And they say there is no honor among Thieves.

jglass 2 years, 6 months ago

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Now, I would like to know what peers will be on their jury. If they are found guilty, I hope they are sentenced to the max.

Darien 2 years, 6 months ago

THey never should have allowed themselves to get in the position they are in at this time. I am afraid they are like many others today, I want it free, free, free, free and I will lie, cheat, and steal to get it. This is prime example of a community leader, ain't it.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 6 months ago

Have you ever lied?

If no, then you never lived.

Tell it live it really is - the reel deal, Bubbavet_rureel

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 6 months ago

What the heck are you rambling about?

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

BR is trying to prove his point. Which is Lying, cheating and stealing is an acceptable way of life here and don’t worry because if you get caught he and his followers will cry until their dying breath you are innocent and they still see you as one of them but if you are taken before a court and found guilty by some chance then and only then will they think about if you maybe a bad person. But no one should tell the truth about your Lying, cheating and stealing and if they do BR and gang will try to divert the focus by Blaming Bush, Zimmerman, John Edwards and the list goes on and on because they are all bad people but Not You o no you are one of their friends.

To Society there is Right and Wrong but to BR and friends no matter the wrong there is only innocent until Proven guilty. If you are lucky and get away with a Wrong you will always be BR’s Friend cause you are innocent.

Told it Like it Really is. ............ The Taxpayer .......

MRKIA 2 years, 6 months ago

I SEE THE TYPING CHIMPANZEE IS STILL ACTIVE.

jglass 2 years, 6 months ago

Is what they got caught doing ok? I don't think so. If they are found guilty of lying, cheating and stealing......then I hope they have the maximum sentence coming their way.

hayward2 2 years, 6 months ago

dey say dey don't know whut it wuz dat maked dem do dat!!

URWrongAgain 2 years, 6 months ago

Are you channeling Tweety Bird?

Happy 2 years, 6 months ago

I'd rather deal with this any day of the week over a school principal committing sexual assault. That is the story that really needs sqwacking about!

Outtahere 2 years, 6 months ago

I know that's right!! Sexual assault should not be tolerated and he is a disgrace (if allegations are true)!!!!

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 6 months ago

mrkia, look at the facts, I think we're related:

Chimps and humans react to trauma in a like manner, this should not come as a surprise to mrkia. Chimps are our closest living relatives and share a capacity for emotion, including fear, anxiety, grief and rage.

mrkia share the fear that other races will become supreme, he show his rage by calling other people chimpanzees.

mrkia is a sad person who talk negative about the real deal.

mrkia be my friend - Bubbavet_rureel

Outtahere 2 years, 6 months ago

I wanted to be your friend but you never responded back. I guess you only want to be friends with those that don't want to be friends with you.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 6 months ago

mrkia is a saint, he is perfect, he is smart, he is truthful, he is bubba's friend.

Bubbavet_rureel

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 6 months ago

Vote for Riggins and mrkia, they both are great people. mrkia is really a positive person.

mrkia do you like chimps? You cant handle the truth, you're being played like a drum.

I have written six books, you really dont know me son. Get a real deal job!

tHe ReAl deAl - buBbaVeT_RurEeL

Fix the text, you're smart!

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't have a crystal ball, but, I predict that they both get off on some technicality. But, the point will still remain...how does someone in their position(s) even get themselves into this position? How are their name(s) or the name(s) of their children, particurlarly given their income level, even on an application for free/reduced price meals in the first place? Falls under the "if you didn't know, you should have..." category of ethics, morals and professionalism.

MRKIA 2 years, 6 months ago

BUBBAVET_RU: HAVE YOU EVER HEARD THE PHRASE " IT'S NOT WHAT SOMEONE CALLS YOU, IT'S WHAT YOU ANSWER TO" ? I MUST BE ON THE RIGHT TRACK. BAM!!!

MRKIA 2 years, 6 months ago

I PREDICT A PLEA DEAL OR AN ALFORD PLEA. THESE TYPE OF CHARGES ARE HARD TO BEAT. THE SIGNATURES MAKES THE CASE AND MULHOLLAND IS A CAPABLE PROSECUTOR. VELVET LOSES HER SEAT. CASE CLOSED.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

Thanks MRKIA you helped BR prove the FACT I pointed out in my earlier post. No matter how wrong someone is, if you are a friend of BR and group they will use all means necessary to divert the focus from the wrong doer by moving the focus to some BAD person (you got the award this time). Note BR used three post to focus on you but not once did he deny any of the FACTS I stated. The truth hurts if he has to face it, so BR and group run and hide from the TRUTH and always move the focus to someone they think is bad to try and change the focus from the person who is the original subject. Smoke and mirrors!

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 6 months ago

This is just another cost for the county, this is the same budget that fund county police. Do the math mrkia, you're smart.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

Run Bubba Run the truth is staring you in the face. Stop trying to use your smoke and mirrors. You and your group care nothing about what something cost this county. You are only interested in allowing Lying, cheating and stealing to continue. Your continued stand against prosecuting a person who has committed a crime because it will cost too much in your opinion to prosecute is double talk for your supporting the wrong doers. Prove you have some Honor and Integrity and STOP your BS about what a trial may cost and start calling for a return of Honor and Integrity among your peers.

MRKIA 2 years, 6 months ago

BUBBAVET_RU: I DID THE MATH, PROSECUTE THEM AT ANY AND ALL COSTS. THIS IS ALSO THE SAME BUDGET THAT DCSS USES TO BOND STUDENTS ARRESTED BY DCSS POLICE OUT OF JAIL. ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT THAT?? I'M NO SCHOLAR BUT STANDING NEXT TO A MENTAL MIDGET LIKE YOU MAKES ME LOOK LIKE AN INTELLECTUAL GIANT.

njokin 2 years, 6 months ago

@abytaxpayer: Judging from your comments on this article you believe this:

"Prove you have some Honor and Integrity and STOP your BS about what a trial may cost and start calling for a return of Honor and Integrity among your peers."

HEAVEN FORBID a few extra kids get to eat that crappy school food for free. Nasty as it is it should be free for every student.

It's more honorable to feed a hungry child! If a child is hungry than you damn right I will feed them.

You are not a concern taxpayer, because if you were you would understand that this is a waste of taxpayer money.

The trial cost to the taxpayers will be wasted on this SHOW TRIAL instead of feeding more kids. The money is allocated and there is so much food waste in schools cafeteria, that a few extra kids eating lunch whether they are poor or not wont hurt any budget. This is a waste of time, money and resources.

If things went your way, your answer would be just don't feed the kids. Let them starve instead of dining at the FIVE STAR cafeteria's in Albany schools.

There's no Honor in what you are talking about. Just selfish misdirected hate. I'm sure you are the type that would'nt piss on a kid if they were on FIRE. Wow.

signed a conservative loving living in San Diego Ca

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

Thank you for defining your mind set by explaining you are from Cal and it is apparent your definition of a Conservative is different from those of us living on the East Coast. Apparently English has a different meaning in Cal and you lost something in the translation. Not once have I said anything about kids should not get free school food. What I have been talking about are the parents who have NO Honor and Integrity and are willing to Lie to be able to Steal a few dollars’ worth of food. Not once have I ever suggested that any child should go hungry.

I am puzzled that you can commend the waste of money for a “Show Trail” yet support the waste of “Allocated Money” and the food it pays for.

You are a prime example of what is pushing our youth down. You claim it is a “Waste of time, money and resources” to prosecute people who Lie, cheat and steal from “Allocated Money”. Wow what a life lesson you are teaching, it is ok to lie, cheat and steal as long as it is “Free Government Money”.

I am amazed that you can define me and yet have no clue as to what you are talking about.

1. I have stated before I think school lunch should be free for ALL students mainly to stop the class divisions based on ability to pay or not.
  2. I have put a burning child out and I pray that is something you never have to do. Just so you know I did it with a blanket and water.
  3. The only “Hate” I have is for Pious Blowhards who have no clue yet can get on their soapbox and preach to the world as if they have the answers, while they haven’t even heard the question.

So if you wish to reply with your thoughts on why I am wrong for trying to maintain standards of Honor and Integrity for our youth and you see no harm in setting on you’re a** and defending those who are teaching by doing, that Honor and Integrity have no place in today’s America then bring it on.

Unlike you I am a Concern Taxpayer! Because I know every dollar wasted by cheaters or their trails is money I worked for but was taken from me by the Government to pay for those NEEDLESS expenses.

It is the Mindless Blowhards who still have not realized one way or another that money is coming out of their pockets also. Less money for the “Freebies or less money you take home if you work!

AnotherMom 2 years, 6 months ago

What "njokin" doesn't seem to understand is that the school lunches aren't FREE! Those of us who live here & work for a living have to pay property taxes that fund these FREE lunches. I have 3 kids who have gone through DCSS. I paid for my kids lunches & I don't make a lot of money. I am so tired of everyone wanting everything for FREE! They can work & pay for their kids' lunches like I did. Their kids are their responsibility, not mine!

MRKIA 2 years, 6 months ago

NJOKIN'S COMMENTS ARE AS FLAWED AS BUBBAVET_'S. THE CHILDREN BEING FED IS NOT THE ISSUE HERE. NONE OF THE CHILDREN GO HUNGRY ANYWAY, NEVER HAVE. BY NJOKIN'S OWN COMMENT'S PLENTY OF FOOD IS WASTED SO WE SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR MORE HUNGRY STARVING CHILDREN. NOT ONE WORD ABOUT FRAUD, LYING OR STEALING BY DCSS EMPLOYEES. NASTY FOOD YOU SAY? TELL THE MAMMY AND PAPPY TO PROVIDE THEIR KIDS WITH THE GORMET MEALS THEY ARE ACCUSTOMED TO. CAN'T BE TOO BAD THO', VELVET AND BAKER DEFRAUDED THE DCSS TO GET THEIR KIDS THEIR'S.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 6 months ago

Take a look at all them kids. They all fat. Can't be fat.....and hungry.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

Sister sorry but in the ObamaNation of Correctness you cannot say “Fat Kids” they are now People of Mass or Differently Weighted.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 6 months ago

Riggins and Baker should get their cases dismissed. The End.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

BR again is just proving the point Lying, cheating and stealing is an acceptable way of life here !!!

Not once is there a call for personal integrity or honor just support for the lying, cheating and stealing.

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 6 months ago

Research due process, ask John Edwards and Zimmerman. Public Opinion is not considered in a court of law. Your opinion has no value, you blame and convict before the facts are determined by the fact finders.

Ask the Real Deal if you want the thrill.

Bubbavet_rureel

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 6 months ago

Pulic opinion does not count JUST Your's?

Public Opinion is not considered in a court of law. Your opinion has no value

You see NO PROBLEMS and CALL FOR CASES TO BE DISMISSED

before the facts are determined by the fact finders.

WOW!!!!! you are such a GREAT BULL CRAP Artist

MRKIA 2 years, 6 months ago

DON'T YOU REALIZE THAT YOU'RE BRAIN-WRESTLING WITH AN IDIOT?

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 6 months ago

APS teacher cleared of test-cheating allegation

Source: wsbtv.com

CJ_Fan 2 years, 6 months ago

An Atlanta Public School teacher is fighting to get her job back after she was accused of cheating on several standardized tests, a charge she is now cleared of. Williamson prompted students during the CRCT to change their answers from wrong to right by coughing, frowning or telling them to "go back over your answers."

Question why do we need Qualified Teachers to help kids learn? BubVetRu, Coach and their followers have repeatedly claimed it is NOT cheating to motivate students to modify their original answers. Coughing, frowning or telling them to go back over your answers is widely accepted by those who see no problem in a teacher who fails to teach the information when they can teach kids to react to prompts. (see Pavlo’s dog) Why not just use circus trainers who openly use hand signals, body language, and vocal sounds to direct their subjects. Why provide a child with knowledge and the ability to think for himself when you can just teach him to rely on others to lead them through life. (see Dumbacrates)

Bubbavet_rureel 2 years, 6 months ago

The Tribunal exonerated her charges. What about the GBI Investigation credibility? All it took was one case, watch and wait.