Squawk of the Day - June 6, 2012

Kudos to the Squawker who said “Smokers burn time from their employers.” I’d like to add another comment. I don’t like, being a non-smoking customer, having to walk through the smoke from these workers taking their smoke breaks to get into the store/business.

Comments

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

Shop elsewhere. Yes we will. 70% of the USA does not smoke Most people cannot say that, they need the business. When you get older and have the major health problems of smokers, maybe we should say roll over and take it. No, you will expect the rest of the non-smoking Americans to pay your bills. If I owned a business, I would not hire a smoker and that includes my son.

alleebrin 1 year, 10 months ago

Not to mention the PRICE of cigarettes! What a shame that people don't choose to quit such a filthy, disgusting habit that totally dominates their lives!! Ain't easy - I quit once upon a time!

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

And I don't like having to deal with people who think it is okay to stop and have a glass of wine (either with or without their dinner) before getting in their car and driving home. This is a REALLY HUGE double standard. By the way, I an a non-smoker...

VietVet1 1 year, 10 months ago

And I DON'T LIKE spending trillion's of dollars in forign countries! Or bird poop on my windshield.

jglass 1 year, 10 months ago

Goodness...................................I don't enjoy walking through smokers to walk into a business and I agree with the wine comment as well. So, I guess we all have a lot of things we don't agree with. I am so glad we are all different!

Clif 1 year, 10 months ago

I heard that every time you smoke a cigarette, you shorten your life by five minutes, and every time you take a drink you lengthen your life by six minutes. So, if every time you smoke a cigarette, you also take a drink, you'll live forever!!!

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Unless you drink too much and get killed while driving.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

And while it has been said that drinking a glass wine can lengthen your life by six minutes, ask a person who is being physically abused by a drunk what that six minutes feels like...bet they wished all they had to deal with was a smoker. Btw, I have been the victim of a drunken brute who would drink a beer, or two, or three, or a six pack or two, and then beat the hell out of me if I didn't jump when ordered. I will take the cig smoke.

VietVet1 1 year, 10 months ago

Only takes once to pull a trigger!

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 10 months ago

I think there is a city ordinance that bans smokers a certain amount of feet away from any building entrance. Call code enforcement on them.

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

Boo hoo! You had to walk past someone who was smoking! Because of the extent of your tragedy, you may need counseling!!

"Burn time from employers". Please I get 15 minutes to do whatever I want and just because you don't agree with what I choose to do, now I'm stealing from my employer?! Geez, you people have to find something to whine about!!

Cartman 1 year, 10 months ago

Non-smoker here. This squawker is part of the problem. Here's some advice: Mind your own business. In a free country, politicians don't micro-manage your daily life. Every little ordinance that you have to obey, only gets you more accustomed to doing as you are ordered to do. It is the business owner's property; it should be his decision whether smoking is allowed or not. Customers that don't like it can shop elsewhere. Free market. Business owners profit from good decisions; and suffer from bad ones. That's how it works.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

Bravo Cartman!! I won't frequent a business if the clerks/employees are wearing the pants around their knees. They are free, under their employers rules to do that. I am free, under our system to carry my business elsewhere.

bigbob 1 year, 10 months ago

Well cartman this sure as heck isn't a free country then because politicians do micromanage every aspect of our lives.

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

You know, at times Cartman, you come off as intelligent and seem to be quite a logical thinker.. There have been times when I wondered about you but overall, I agree with you most of the time. (Not that you care if I agree; just making a point.)

Hoodie 1 year, 10 months ago

I wouldn't hire anyone that smoked, It just isn't productive and doesn't lend itself to high achievement if you don't have the fortitude to quit a habit that runs your life then I just don't see you achieving any goals set forth in your job so you could perform at the level I require of my employees.....

beartrap 1 year, 10 months ago

jeez........there's not enough smoke around outside entrance to a building to harm anyone.....you are confusing your sense of smell with something that's isn't hurting you...no different than when you pass a paper mill or enter a bathroom somebody just used.... what a bunch of whiners?

jglass 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't care if you smoke or drink, but if you are standing right by the door that I have to enter, that is a problem. And, I am so glad they banned smoking in restaurants. I don't smoke therefore I do not want smoke blown on me or in my direction. And, if your employer allows you breaks, you can do as you please on your breaks.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Plus you come out smelling like cigarette smoke all over you.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

And I don't drink and I don't want to pull out of a restaurant parking lot in front of or behind someone who had a glass of wine with their dinner...that his why I don't go to restaurants. It is safer at home.

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

I am a smoker but I do not smoke indoors. I don't smoke in my house and I can't stand smoking in restuarants either. I only smoke about 3 to 5 a day so hopefully soon I will be down to none. Anyway, I don't think smoking should be permitted indoors and I am always considerate of others when I smoke outside.

jglass 1 year, 10 months ago

Amen VSU!!! Some smokers smell just horrible. It is like they have been inside the ash tray.......and when someone come in contact with me with that much odor, I feel like I smell like an ash tray as well.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

use deodorant---rather smell like smoke than be covered in blood caused by injuries received in a drunk driving accident...

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Shouldn't have to use deoderant, but I don't like being around alcoholics either, so best to stay away from both.

LuLu 1 year, 10 months ago

I think this squawker may be referring to Hobby Lobby. I have had to walk through their employees on smoke break before to get in their front door. It was very unsightly and quite a turn-off. It's not a bar, after all, it's a popular retail store. They should go out back!

Cartman 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow. As oversensitive as some of you are, maybe we need a flatulence law as well.

alleebrin 1 year, 10 months ago