Sutton's route from funeral home to church, cemetery announced

LEESBURG, Ga. -- The Lee County Sheriff's Department announced Tuesday that Highway 32 from Lovers Lane Road to Walnut Avenue in Leesburg will be closed to thru traffic from noon to approximately 3:30 p.m. today due to the funeral service of Marine Lance Cpl. Steve Sutton.

Sutton, 24, who joined the Marines in 2009 and was attached to the 1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment of the 2nd Marine Division, was killed in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan during combat operations over the Memorial Day weekend.

His funeral service is set for 2 p.m. today at First Baptist Church in Leesburg with interment to follow at Crown Hill Cemetery on Dawson Road in Albany.

Sutton's body is scheduled to leave Kimbrell-Stern Funeral Directors at noon, with the procession turning left on to Edgewood Drive, then right onto Third Avenue and left on Slappey Drive. The procession will travel U.S. 19 north to Leesburg, turning right, crossing the railroad tracks then onto the church.

At between 2:30 p.m. and 2:45 p.m., Sutton's body will be taken from the church and the procession will travel down Main Street to Walnut Avenue then south on U.S. 19 to Third Avenue, then to Dawson Road and on to Crown Hill.

The Lee County Sheriff's Office is encouraging people to start lining the roadside from McDonald's in Leesburg south to Albany and to the gates of Crown Hill.

The American Legion Post 30 is asking the public to spread out along the route. Post 30 representatives will be distributing American flags on eight-foot poles every 150 feet on both sides of the highway and streets.

They will begin distributing the flags at 1:30 p.m. in Leesburg and will retrieve them from immediately behind the procession as it makes its way to the cemetery.

Comments

waltspecht 2 years, 3 months ago

Flag and staff are in the truck, Boss informed I will be leaving around 2 PM. Hope I have a problem finding a place to park due to all the rest of you showing up.

Cartman 2 years, 3 months ago

Rain or shine, there will be at least two of us then Walt.

Abytaxpayer 2 years, 3 months ago

Thank You to all who came out. It was nice to see the WG&L trucks on 3rd and along Dawson Rd flying the flags too.

waltspecht 2 years, 3 months ago

I didn't know Lee County had that many Patrol vehicles. I was at mile marker 5, across from the only standing wheat field on the route. The Amber Waves of Grain were flowing in the wind, and since Gettesburg, Wheat Fields have spoken of unbelievable Heroism. I just thought it was an appropriate location. Glad to see the Remaining Few well represented among the motorcycles. There were about a mile plus of bikes escorting. From all walks of Bikers. Thanks to all who took the time to show respect for this fallen Marine. Thanks to the Patriot Guard, once more your appearance was inspiring.

firefly 2 years, 3 months ago

The support in this community today was breathtaking. United we stand. Rest in Peace Lcpl Steve Sutton, forever a hero.

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 3 months ago

It was a touching procession. I had tears rolling down my eyes. I can only hope it did justice to our fallen hero and I hope that the family was pleased. He was less than half my age, but, he died for me, my family and the great freedoms that we enjoy, and, all too often take for granted. May we not soon forget his sacrifice.