Squawk of the Day - June 11, 2012

"I read day after day about the DCSS and how bad they are or seem to be. I realized all those Squawks must be from outside Dougherty County. With the apathy about Ms. Riggins and her going unchallenged, they had to be from elsewhere."

Comments

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

You do not tell much about yourself. Are you satisfied with the DCSS. If so, then you are one of the enablers or one who pays no taxes, so it is no skin off your teeth. If you were a taxpayer, you would be very concerned. I am also concerned that the state of Georgia performs 48 out of 50. We are not getting our moneys worth. It may be time to privatize schools. A good education this ultimately what is good for the nation.

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

Mainly speaks to the area she resides in and what they accept as acceptable behavior. Some good folks just don't believe they have the knowledge for the position, and lack the ego to go for it anyway. Thats why there should be writen requirements and tests to be passed for anyone seeking Public Office. Never happen tho.

bigbob 1 year, 10 months ago

Some people on the school board seem to destroying the system from within just to prove they are the majority and can do anything they please. The black vote will decide what happens in DOCO so get used to it.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

The squawker believes the negative comments about the board are coming from outside the district. We should not care where they come from. We should care that the majority of the comments are negative. Want to know why no one is running against Ms. Riggins? Honest people can't survive on the board, so what's the point? King Murfree and his jesters override common sense and the law (if it fits their needs) every time...

Clif 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm from outside the district, but pay substantial taxes within the district. Albany is a mess from the top down to the city employee picking up trash. Albany and Dougherty is the laughing stock of of the state, just as the USA is the laughing stock of the world. It all comes down to lack of good leadership in both. I pray the national leadership will change in November. In Albany & Dougherty County, probably never.

tocar 1 year, 10 months ago

Every city needs good leadership. It appears that Albany and the DCSS do not run sufficient background checks on individuals that are hired. We need morally good, honest people who wants to move in positive directions and cares about our welfare as a city and county. Our city and county are full of corrupt people who want handouts and wants everything handed out to them. We are known as the welfare assistance capital of the south.

Clif 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes, a hotbed of Bishop/Obama voters.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Well the squawker realized wrong, not all squawks come from outside the area, not all Albanians wear rose colored glasses, nor drink the locally made kool-aid.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Okay, after re-reading it, I think i get the picture. My bad!

Cartman 1 year, 10 months ago

Lighten up. I think the squawker was being sarcastic. And no. I was not the squawker.

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

When I was in the district I squawked and I truly cared....now I am out and don't squawk and don't care.....so you won't see me complain about anything happening in the DCSS or the DC government. I will read the squawks but never comment. I am out of the county and have no right to complain, in my opinion.

Happy 1 year, 10 months ago

The DCSS had many other issues and problems that occurred under Whatley. The only reason why that you hear about the current affairs of DCSS that Dr. Murfree is trying to correct is because Dr. Murfree refuses to pay the thousands of dollars that Whatley paid to WALB for "advertising."

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 10 months ago

Yep that is the Reason.....Has nothing to do with the TAXPayers are getting sick and tired of pumping money into a deep hole being managed by Rocket Scientists (Not).

Cartman 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes. I agree that Sally Whatley is to blame for much of DCSS's problems. That certainly is the case with the CRCT issue. However, that doesn't in any way, show that Dr. Murfree is qualified or competent. It also doesn't excuse the bogus pretenses of his hiring. Because of the school board's hiring spectacle; many in the community expected Dr. Murfree to be nothing but an embarrassment. And he has certainly met those expectations.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 10 months ago

APS teacher cleared of test-cheating allegation

Source: wsbtv.com

An Atlanta Public School teacher is fighting to get her job back after she was accused of cheating on several standardized tests, a charge she is now cleared of.

stc1993 1 year, 10 months ago

They updated it 2 was cleared & 3 added to the list.

MisterEd 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow....1 out of how many? From the AJC................

Where the cases stand

1 Number of educators whose recommended firing was not upheld by a tribunal.

9 Number of educators whose recommended firing has been upheld by a tribunal.

50 Number of letters sent to educators outlining charges and the school district's intent to terminate.

78 Number of educators notified that their contracts will not be renewed; some will have the option of a hearing.

Not looking so good now, is it? But avoid the topic and spin it for us, Bubbavetdumas.