Bishop campaigns at Kiwanis Club

Rep. Sanford Bishop Jr., right, chats with Harry Futral after addressing the Dougherty County Kiwanis Club Monday afternoon. Bishop, who has served as the District 2 congressman since 1993, will be seeking his 11th term in the U.S. House in November.

ALBANY — Rep. Sanford Bishop Jr., D-Albany, made a pitch Monday to the Dougherty County Kiwanis Club for two more years in the House of Representatives.

Bishop, who has served as the district’s representative in Congress since 1993, is seeking his 11th term in the house.

He will face the winner of the July 31 Republican primary. Rick Allen, John House and Ken DeLoach are vying for the GOP nomination to challenge Bishop in the November general election.

“It’s been a privilege and an honor to serve as your congressman, I know it’s hard to believe, for the last 20 years,” Bishop told the Kiwanians. “I have to reapply for my job every two years and I hope that I gave given a good accounting of my stewardship.”

Bishop said he decided to run for the Georgia House in 1976 when he realized that, as a lawyer, “If I won a case it affected my client, but as a legislator, if I passed one good law it would affect everybody in the state.”

In Washington, Bishop serves on the House Appropriations Committee and three subcommittees — Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration and Related Agencies; Legislative Affairs; and Military Construction, Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies.

Bishop, who toyed with the idea of becoming a minister before becoming a lawyer, often refers to the congressional district as his “ministry.”

“My ministry of public service has grown to more than 700,000 people,” Bishop said. “My goal is to make this ministry user-friendly to the people of the district and to make sure our office is the help office.”

Comments

waltspecht 2 years, 2 months ago

Other than the personnal gain this individual promises folks, what has he actually accomplished to make this a better Country for everyone? Just how many jobs has he created in the private sector. For that matter, just how many jobs in the Government do his friends and relatives hold? Just how much has he profited from being a Congressman? Don't give me the bit about him being one of the poorer Congressman. That is not his total worth that they are measuring, only selected parts to hide the rest. Plus you want to bet his legal costs will be paid out of some political fund somewhere? Sorry, but he is asking us to vote for a know Crook that doesn't believe it is his job to report fraud in the Pickford settlement. Anybody but an incumbant is my motto, especially this incumbnt.

VietVet1 2 years, 2 months ago

Time for new blood that's willing to put America's value first.

GeorgiaAl 2 years, 2 months ago

Don't worry folks...The 2 previous posters "VV" and WS" are spot on.. I have had SB as a fB friend since its inception. Oh, he is visible right now but after the elections you can't get anything but a pre-printed form letter out of him... I say send him anywhere to hide but Washington as an elected official... I'm sure he has a lobby job lined up if we can ever "boot" him.......

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 2 months ago

"...if I passed one good law it would affect everybody in the state.” That's one of the points, Mr. Bishop. Name ONE law that you have personally sponsored (not "co-sponsored" which means you simply tapped into someone else's good idea). There's not one! Let's see, there is Pigford, the scholarship scandal, the fact that you chose to NOT censure Charles Rangle. And most importantly, I think we can all agree that Washington DC is "broken." After 20 years, Mr. Bishop is part of the problem, not the solution. All he has done is played partisan politics. Always has, always will.

LuLu 2 years, 2 months ago

Don't forget about him standing up and peeing in the aisle of an airplane. That's one of my personal favorite Sanfordisms!

Cartman 2 years, 2 months ago

Don't exagerate it LuLu. He urinated into a coffee cup while onboard a commercial flight.

ObjectiveEyes 2 years, 2 months ago

Have it your way...in the aisle...in a coffee cup. Is either appropriate?

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 2 months ago

If I was Sanford Bishop I would be really worried about the "new territory" (Macon).

Darien 2 years, 2 months ago

you talking two different worlds when you say you felt led to be either a lawyer or a preacher. He would not be a good preacher as a preacher has to preach the word, you can not sit on the fence. Sorry but 20 years is too long, it is time for him to go.Go West young man, go west. Catch the Pelosi flight and go west.

Cartman 2 years, 2 months ago

Bishop is a large part of the reason for the 2nd Cong. Dist. being ignored. Bishop has done nothing. He takes credit for the federal money spent at Ft. Benning to accommodate the addition of the Armor School, but that was a result of BRAC, which by design excluded influence from congressmen. If any district needed a real congressman, it is this one. He is so dumb that he gave his support to Obama and Pelosi for free. This district got nothing in exchange as did many other districts. He couldn't even play hard-to-get. He is not a yellow dog; he is a lap dog. What an embarrassment! I can't believe he has the nerve to show his face after he dodged public contact during the scandal, the Dems called a healthcare debate. And he did pee in a coffee cup on an airliner. Google it.

dingleberry 2 years, 2 months ago

So am I to understand you won't vote for him Carts? Is it because he is totally worthless as a Congressman, like a few others, or is it perhaps an intolerance for those who whiz in styrofoam rather than porcelain?