Local officials host T-SPLOST forums

Voters will decide whether to add a one-percent sales tax specifically for transportation projects July 31.

— A small group of local elected officials is hosting a series of public forums to provide information about the upcoming Transportation Sales Tax referendum.

State Rep. Winfred Dukes, D-Albany, and Dougherty County Commissioners John Hayes and Gloria Gaines are hosting three forums on the T-SPLOST referendum beginning on June 21 at Mt. Zion Baptist Church at 901 Westover Boulevard.

Dukes said that the forums are an opportunity for the public to learn about the initiative.

This referendum is something that extremely important," Dukes said. "It’s going to move what people pay in taxes from 7 percent to 8 percent so they need to know what’s in it. I’d hate for someone to come up after and say 'I didn’t really know what we were getting.'"

If a majority of voters in the 14-county Region 10 approve the measure, it's anticipated to generate $530 million over the next 10 years.

Of that amount, 75 percent would fund a list of regional projects that has been approved both by the Georgia Department of Transportation and a group of elected officials from throughout the region who sat on a Region 10 roundtable.

A complete list of the projects can be found here.

The remaining 25 percent would go to each city and county within the region as discretionary spending for local projects. How that 25 percent is divided out will be based on population and the number of road miles within each jurisdiction.

Comments

stc1993 2 years, 3 months ago

I'll be voting no on this new tax. We already pay enough taxes for this with the gasoline tax.

Cartman 2 years, 3 months ago

Vote NO to T-SPLOST. You are voting your own tax increase. This stuff was traditionally paid for with fuel and state taxes. T-SPLOST didn't replace these taxes - it is in addition to them. The bureaucrats get political cover because the people voted for it. Any tax on any of us - is collectively a tax upon all of us. Taxes are the drugs of politicians. They need to cut spending; not come up with creative ways to raise new revenue. Just say NO.

Chamberman 2 years, 3 months ago

I understand the feeling toward any additional taxation on our citizens and business community however; I must disagree with your general comments. I have seen this tax for roads and bridge improvements work first hand. I have seen this type of commitment to infrastructure benefit a community and help to recruit new business and create new jobs. Isn't that what we need the most; putting America back to work? State and / or Local government will not and cannot have control over the funds generated from this tax. All monies generated will be governed by an independent panel consisting of non-elected officials with specific legal instructions to enforce the completion of the projects set forth by the Regional Roundtable in October 2011. An annual audit will be published on a website to keep citizens up to speed on project spending. Even if the projects on the list come in under cost, all excess dollars will be apprortioned back to the local jurisidictions to be used on additional local transportation projects. The citizens will have the ability to track the progress of each project along with monitoring which projects are on budget and those that may not be. So yes this is an additional tax, no argument there however; the revenue generated will also, aside from the facts above, help to make our roads safer for everyone.

Cartman 2 years, 3 months ago

And who built this infrastructure before T-SPLOST was invented?

Trustbuster 2 years, 3 months ago

My Chamberman= How a roundtable of elected local govt. officials be truly independent? They are no more independent than the legislators in Atlanta. I can assure you after talking to my local govt. officials that political considerations will be made for some of these projects. Road improvements in my county are often taken up just before election time. This way voters are reminded that local elected officials want payback for providing these govt. services. I take the line from an old song called "What have you done for me lately?" The same standard applies to our federal lawmakers Bishop, Chambliss and Isakson. Remind the voters in your district how good you are for helping out with services and then please vote me back in again.

Support 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm voting NO!!! Did the Albany Chamber or any of these elected official speak up in support of the Dougherty County Education SPLOST which generates $100 million over the next 5 years for the local (Albany Area) economy? NO. There must be something in it for them.

watchful 2 years, 3 months ago

Government always thinks their need for our money is superior than our need for our money.

jglass 2 years, 3 months ago

My vote will be NO as well!!!

kingd00 2 years, 3 months ago