Hundreds line up for rental assistance program

The program is part of the federally-funded HOME initiative, officials say.

Hundreds line the block around the Microbusiness Enterprise Center to apply for rental assistance Friday.

— Hundreds of people braved the gnats and the heat for a chance at some assistance on rent payments Friday morning, with many turned away do to limited funding.

The tenant-based rental assistance program is part of the HUD-funded HOME Program, which aims to help low-to-moderate income people into quality housing, Community and Economic Development Director LaToya Cutts said.

"The program is a primarily for those who are elderly, disabled or homeless," Cutts said. "But the caveat is that they have to work; they have to have some sort of income because this is a subsidy. It does not completely pay someone's rent."

Friday morning, the city's CED department opened their doors to prospective applicants and had people in line and waiting around the building at 8 a.m.

"In this community we do have a lot of people who have a need for help when it comes to affordable housing," Cutts said. "Our comprehensive plan does indicate that there is a need for affordable housing and options for low-to-moderate income families to be able to live in affordable housing. This helps those people to be able to live in affordable housing."

According to 2010 Census data, roughly 6.6 percent of the city's 77,000 residents are living outside of traditional households and are either homeless or living in some form of transitional housing.

There are 33,436 total housing units within the city, 89.1 percent, or 29,781, of which are occupied, according to census figures.

Of the occupied housing total, a staggering 58.3 percent or 17,349, were renters. More than 10 percent of those were over the age to be considered "elderly" by the HOME program.

Comments

jglass 1 year, 10 months ago

I certainly hope that deserving people received the help needed. I hope that everyone was checked thoroughly to avoid fraud. I would hate to know a deserving person was turned away because of someone fraudulently getting help.

bigbob 1 year, 10 months ago

Free bees, freebees, just what albanians love.

dingleberry 1 year, 10 months ago

In June, 1619 landlords received $671,000 in Section 8 rental assistance payments, the largest payment program while the comparable numbers in Fulton were 146 landlords receiving $75,000 and Dekalb 34 landlords receiving $15,000. Clayton county received zero. How much more can we assist?

Well, then we throw in over 1,000 units under the public housing authority and another 1,500 or so private/non-profit subsidized units, and several hundred in the city's name and "Houston, I think we may have a problem". We are growing our own poverty by providing so much housing to so many people who pay so little. And as we do, those who see no hope, the taxpayer, are leaving in the process.

whattheheck 1 year, 10 months ago

If the city had 500 five pound bags of cat doodie to give away and put the word on the street, there would be 1,000 people lined up, standing in the sun, to get it.. If word were put out that only those who are taxpayers were eligible and picture IDs would be checked, no one would be there except the federal lawyers and civil rights activists.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

I wonder how many were talking on cell phones while waiting in the heat. Then, after talking with whomever, got into a really nice car and drove to where they are currently residing. After stopping, of course, at the liquor stop to get a bottle or two of wine and a stop at the grocery store for a couple of really expensive steaks--all at the expense of the taxpayers who were working while they were standing in line, talking on their cell phones while they waited.

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

You, FlunkyMonkey, are correct!!!

watchman 1 year, 10 months ago

Your comment no doubt has a ring of truth, but then, the government subsidize so many corporations (a form of welfare). We all are to blame for the direction this country is going. The easier one make it for the majority, the less the majority are likely to do.

alleebrin 1 year, 10 months ago

..."But the caveat is that they have to work." The homeless, disabled and elderly are expected to work? Are you kidding? Actually, this handout has been around since Pluto was a pup!!

Cartman 1 year, 10 months ago

So the feds had some extra money? Really? They just ask people to line up and get some? How ridiculous.

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

Don't forget the false fingernails, foiled hair and gold capped teeth. I saw one white guy with his girlfriend or wife using WIC and foodstamps. I was behind them at the grocery store. She was dressed fit to kill, talking on cell phone and her male partner had on one of those $150+ racing jackets. Their clothes would have bought babies milfk for a month.

sassy 1 year, 10 months ago

hundreds line up for hand outs at the expense of hard working tax payers. The county raises the assessed value of our homes by 10 to 15 percent and consider raising the millage rate for us hard working tax payers!!!!!! I am all for the people whom needs the help, however do dot hand out to everyone, The problem of the USA is uncontrolled and and justified handouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 10 months ago

You placed us in this mess, know help us get out of this mess. The end.

cfcarroll64 1 year, 10 months ago

Who placed us in this mess, the working class?

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

The Democrats under LBJ. Welfare started with them

billstrickland 1 year, 10 months ago

Every time a company gets a break on taxes or utilities, that's corporate welfare. Every time a very wealthy person gets a break on taxes because he can afford to shelter income in some way, that's rich-guy welfare. I assume that the loudmouths in Albany (and, frankly, from lots of places in Florida or near Macon or in other places across the country) are only angry about the help given to the needy. How dare they be poor, right? The mean, nasty, vicious people around here are overly proud of their small opinions and can often be found commenting on almost every single story, whether or not their comments have anything whatsoever to do with that story.

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

The needy?? Like other posters have said here, these people are NOT needy!!!!! They are lazy and irresponsible!!!!!! They spend money on fancy phones, steak and shrimp, nice cars and the newest clothes!!! They have internet and cable, which is not a neccesity, but they want someone to pay their rent and grocery bill!!

reb_arty1863 1 year, 10 months ago

At least corporations and rich people create jobs. Ever been hired by a poor person???? DUUUHHH

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

I need some rental assistance on my motorized wheel chair. billstrickland can you please give me some of your money to help me pay for it? I know that you will, based on your kindly post above. You are a very compassionate and kind gentleman.........right? Just send me the money....$100 a week should do it. Thanks, kind gentleman!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

A long line forms in Albany, GA for free stuff. This is NEWS???????

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

Please help me! I need Monetary Assistance! Look at my Picture!!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

B_r and cj42...........don't realize you're being screwed, glued, and tatooed by ya' Boi Barack Obamboozleer. "Dope of My Father". Yeah, right!

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 10 months ago

Goodnight sister, I see you're on your soap box, must be a boring day, being critical to people in need. Jesus helped the poor, why cant you and mrkia with lower case letters.

Goodnight!

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

There are those who are truly poor--lost jobs, medical reasons, etc. But then there are those who make a living on the tax payers payroll. You know, the ones who have cell phones, drive nice cars, have three or four children by three or four different men; get their food stamps, medicaid, etc. Those are the ones who are getting the majority of the assistance. The article states that this is for the elderly and disabled but THEY HAVE TO BE EMPLOYED!! My 85 year old disabled grandmother can't find work in this town so she is disqualified...

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

I sympathize with you Flunky, this is how backwards America is on these things. People that trully deserve it are denied, but people that are able bodied get approved. They more or less kick the dis-abled and elderly to the curb.

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

I have an idea: ANY and ALL able bodied welfare reciepiants should be taken off their assistant and FORCED to get a job!! ONLY seniors, disabled, and working applicatns should be approved!

whodat 1 year, 10 months ago

Without a doubt, there are people who use and abuse the social services programs in our country. But before you kick them off the assistance rolls and FORCE them to get a job, consider how does one go about getting a job? There is a general high school education, then post-secondary education or training. With a h.s. diploma making minimum wage ($7.25) at a 40-hr. work week ($290), that is only $1257/mo or $15,080 per year (before taxes)! Now if you want to make sure we have only the truly needy on assistance, you may want to think about (1) how to increase the minimum wage (2) affordable post-secondary education (3) increasing federal student loans and grants. Because the bottom line is this: people with jobs grow the economy at every level. Your taxes are going to be spent somewhere. Tell your legislators where you want them to go.

BTW, as far as getting a job in the Metro Albany area? There are 108 jobs listed by the DOL; only 28 of them don’t require a h.s. diploma.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/graphic-shows-student-loan-debt-statistics-photo-061958446--finance.html http://www.dol.state.ga.us/Access/Service/JobOpeningsQuery

erudite 1 year, 10 months ago

So true and don't forget that most of the big retailers do not hire at full time hours which makes employee ineligible for company insurance. The US Poverty line is $22,000 for a family of four. So a parent who is working full time (or less) is eligible for assistance.

MRKIA 1 year, 10 months ago

THEY NEED TO STOP HAVING FAMILIES THEN.

erudite 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey MrKia, buy American. Two kids is over your limit? Are you Chinese?

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

I am all for helping those that are WORKING!! You have great points and that is why these programs are needed - to help those trying to help themselves!

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

Whodat, you have great points, and points I know all so well. I still stand by what I've said, and yes FORCE is exactly what is needed. If not pushed to do better, they will be complacent with hand outs.

If one can not make it on minimum wage, then guess what - one must go to college. There is too much assistance out there and the excuse that there is not enough jobs is just that - excuses. I have a college degree but when I was without a job, I took a minimum wage job because something is better than nothing. Most wel-fare recipients could work but just don't want to put in the hard work it takes to make it to the top. Everyone has to start somewhere, but they are not willing to start at the bottom and work their way to the top.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Perhaps they should not rent something they could not afford. Learn to live within your means. I realize that maybe 2% of that crowd maybe lost their job or some other hard luck, but I guarantee most of them are either biting off more than they can chew or wasted their money on other things like drugs, alcohol, lottery tickets. etc. Funny America is low on money, having to cut Poiice force, turn off the street lights, but always seem to have a little money stashed away to give out to people with their hands out.

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

The thing is, living within your means is logical but it also takes disipline. These free loaders don't even have the mental capacity for that!!

Sally_O 1 year, 10 months ago

I am not sure, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Sister is trying to tell us she needs some rental assistance, and thinks Bill Strickland will be kind enough to help her. LOL!

erudite 1 year, 10 months ago

I am sure that most of you who squawk here regularly would agree that we just have to kill those people. That way you squawkers do not have to spend taxes on them, they won't be having babies, they won't be crowding your schools, they won't be collecting any assistance--of course you have to include all of the physically and mentally challenged who only suck up your tax money---but SisterRuby shouldn't be paying taxes is she is disabled---so just get rid of them. Sure you won't have anybody to squawk about, you will just have to write about things.

Sally_O 1 year, 10 months ago

We could write about how happy we are that our tax money is not going out to those freeloaders with their hands out.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 10 months ago

What did Jesus do erudite? They? Them? what do you want? Again what would Jesus do?

Read your bible:

He feed, cloth, heel the sick etc....

erudite 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes, BubbaV, with the way he gets so much glory in this town you would think that the people living in this town would do as he did, right? Nope, they are like Sally_O who agrees that just killing them will let us know that "our tax money is not going out to those freeloaders with their hands out."

When I am bombarded by the Christian Right, I shudder to think about what they really want.

erudite 1 year, 10 months ago

Exactly, BubbaV. I am bombarded by Christian Right family value ideology just about everywhere in this town including the Squawk Box yet the squawkers seem so not Christian. Sally_O agrees that killing them is a good idea as we would be "happy we are that our tax money is not going out to those freeloaders with their hands out.'

It is your bible not mine; he healed the sick, clothed the poor and fed the hungry. Read more so that you will recognize errors.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

BVR needs assistance, mental health assistance that is.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

I think Jesus meant for those who really need aid, not for those that spread their legs and pop out babies from 6 or 7 different fathers because they don't want to work to earn things on their own. They put themselves in their position. They had a choice between welfare and not making something out of their lives, or going to school, college, work for a living and be somebody, but they chose the sorry lazy welfare path. Didn't someone say god helps those that helps themselves?

erudite 1 year, 10 months ago

Really? Jesus chose sides? Interesting. This is the same Jesus that a lot of people who receive assistance believe in and pray to? Christianity continues to astound me.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

The world changes everyday!

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

Erudite, I'm confused by your statements. You are not even acknowledging the rampant abuse by MANY MANY recipients. I am a big supporter of social programs and think that they are very important to today's society, however, I am sick of the abuse. I know so much about it because I have worked for the government for over three years, assisting people with similar programs! In fact, I find helping people very rewarding! But..... with so many generations of uneducated, unwed mothers, you MUST see the dependance on government handouts! It is atrocious to think people feel entitled that the needs of their entire life and their offspring should be taken care of by someone else. Where is self responsibility and the desire for progress?

erudite 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh, I understand the abuse and am quite familiar with it. I find it no different than the abuse of the tax system by the corporations. I also understand the growing dependence on assistance. What else are these folks to do---no one hired their great grandparents, their grandparents, their parents. There is not the modelling behavior you seek. We learn by watching; what did these people see?

If you work in gov't, answer me this: why is it so easy for these people to beat the system? Many (and you) claim these recipients are uneducated so they cannot find "good" jobs but yet they are educated enough to beat such a "great" system. I don't find fault with the people; I find fault with the system.

You hit it on the head when you write generations. It has been just 60 years that many have been allowed to go to a decent school, to drink out of the same fountain, I could go on.....the illiteracy is generational, the despair is generational, the hope for deliverance is generational; the policies written to keep it that way are generational. How different would the south be if black men had been allowed to vote when they were granted it in 1870...nope, here rules were made to disallow registering.

How do you expect generations of people to become instantly enamored with a society that has done so much to insure their failure? (It's regional, I can tell you that!) Why seek progress if with every step I have to look for barriers, and when I find them have to work to cross them AND do my job without failing at my job?

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

Well, in answer to your second paragraph, first question - the system ain't so great! They can beat it because it is set up to be beat. But, you do have a point abou them being smart enough to manuver through it. With a little behavioral refining they would fit into the job market just fine.

Erudite, you made good points and I, as a white woman, would not be able to understand the disadvantages many generations have endured, however, it is 2012 and it's time to look inward and foward. They system is designed to keep people in poverty and vunerable and I just want to tell them - GET OUT!! You can do so much better!

In response to your last paragraph, first question - They just HAVE to, or they will be left behind in poverty. I know that breaking barriers is more than actually breaking them; it's a mental feat as well. Barriers MUST be broken with hard work and trust in God that he will see you through. Trust God to help you break the barriers - He can do it!!!!

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

It is called generational bondage. And they also get money from those baby daddies too. They know who they are and they get a wad of money from them.

Sally_O 1 year, 10 months ago

I too need some rental assistance! I spent most of my paycheck on a new ipad and a new cellphone. Bought a new DVD player, spent $200 on lottery tickets in which I didn't win anything, bought a bottle of booze and a new video game, but now I don't have enough to pay my rent. I am going to hold my hand out and see if the guvment can slap some of that green stuff in my hand.

erudite 1 year, 10 months ago

Sorry, you agreed with me. Have to kill you.

MRKIA 1 year, 10 months ago

BUBBAVET_RU IS BACK WITH A BIBLE IN HIS HAND ATTEMPTING TO INTERPRET SCRIPTURE. JESUS HELPED THE NEEDY NOT THE GREEDY. I KNOW OF FOLKS IN ALBANY THAT ATTEND FUNERALS OF PEOPLE THEY DONT KNOW SO THEY CAN EAT AND TAKE A PLATE HOME FROM THE REPAST. IT'S THE SCAVENGERS THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 10 months ago

Sick, read the Bible to find out what Jesus meant. Thou shall not kill.

erudite 1 year, 10 months ago

BubbaV, I thought you would 'get it'. I am not in favor of such a policy but rather am using this as an example of what people have left as an option. Squawkers do not want to pay taxes to assist people. They believe that those who receive assitance are freeloading anyhow and are of no use to society, The government spends too much money on these people and, apparently, not enough on business. The squawkers believe that these people need to get a job in an area that has lost thousands of jobs in the last decade with only hundreds being replaced. They want the money spent for these people to be used to build more jobs, which is fabulous, but what do these folks do in the interim?

Of course I do not want people killed. Jesus didn't say thou shall not kill you know, right? The Commandments are several thousand years older than Christ.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Most of these people would not get a job if 500,000 jobs opened up in the area. Why work when the guvment will take care of my house, healthcare, food stamps, free cell phone etc. Let the other fools work if they want to, not me, I am gonna find me a man so I can have another baby so I can get me mo of that guvment check. That's how we do it here in the good life city.

erudite 1 year, 10 months ago

Wish I had thought of that....I mean, they are living so high and mighty on $90 a child. Glorious homes, swimming pools, household help, quality healthcare, good available lawyers, nice schools, high literacy and graduation rates. Great neighborhoods, caring neighbors, super non-profit mongering landlords. I just wish I could get everything paid for: formula, clothes, cribs, diapers, a pediatrician, toys, stability....yeah, welfare is fabulous.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

You should see all them BMW's parked in their driveways.

erudite 1 year, 10 months ago

How do you know that the people inside are commiting fraud to have that beemer? Just an assumption? A stereotype?

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

Umm, because they don't have a job or income. I work a full time job and can't afford a beamer! It just doesn't add up!

erudite 1 year, 10 months ago

How do you know the owner does not have a job? An assumption/stereotype? Not having a job does not mean there is no income. Who's fault is it that YOU cannot afford a BMW? I guess you should learn self-responsibility and money management.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

And Thou shall not steal.

Outtahere 1 year, 10 months ago

Thou shalt not cast your pearls before swine either! I love helping people, but I don't like being used and taken advantage of!

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 10 months ago

Thou shall not covet and bear false witness, leave these people alone, and let the system do it's job.

"can we all just get along"

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

No, we cannot get along as long as the government is taking out of my babies mouth to put it in some freeloader who refuses to work. We all went to college on our dime and worked hard. I do not buy that statement, we did not have the opportunity. No, we know how to play the system, get pell grants (money government pays you for education). I know one who did this, got a beauty school degree and is now going back for another degree. Does not want to work, just pay me to go to school.