Squawk of the day - June 19, 2012

"Parents: Make sure that your little precious sent out his or her graduation gift thank-you cards. You didn't mind giving Precious the name and address of everyone you ever came in contact with to secure a gift, so now follow up. When someone spends $50 on a gift, they deserve 45 cents spent on a stamp to acknowledge it."

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

A gift is freely given, no strings attached. If you are not happy with the response to your gift, don't give them another one. That simple

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

A hug and a thank you (and perhaps a phone call) at the time the gift is given is enough for me. When my child graduated I could barely buy the stamps to mail graduation announcements. There was nothing left for stamps for thank you notes after graduation.

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

The actions of your first child will hinder you other children if they do not possess good manners. If the first one does not acknowledge it, do not expect the next gifts. Life is made up of choices, and good manners is free. That postage stamp is a must! If not, do not send the invitation, because we all know you are wanting a gift.

scooby62 1 year, 10 months ago

When I graduated High School 30 years ago, my mother made sure she sat me down and helped me write thank you notes right after my Graduation was over! I also did that for my wedding. People do appreciate getting thank you notes after they have searched for the perfect gift. It shows good upbringing and that you really do appreciate what they did for you.

VietVet1 1 year, 10 months ago

Listen Carefully ~ Listen with your Heart

jglass 1 year, 10 months ago

A totally agree with the squawker. When it comes time for graduation gifts, wedding gifts and baby gifts the proper etiquette is to send out a "thank you" note within a certain amount of time upon receiving the gift. Like the squawker said you mail out the invitations to everyone you have ever come in contact with, a "thank you" note is only appropriate. Times have changed unfortunately. You learn to budget and allow for the stamps and thank you notes. And, it is unfortunate that when you mail the gift, there is no call once the gift is received at the other end either. Times have changed!!

Clif 1 year, 10 months ago

"It is more blessed to give than receive" The Pharisees wanted to be recognized by men. My opinion only: Insisting on a "thank you" note is seeking self recognition.

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

The Bible addresses giving in the Bible. It even addresses a similar situation. Jesus healed 3 people and only one turned to thank Jesus. So even God takes note of the appreciative people. Enough to mention it.

albanyherald1 1 year, 10 months ago

As the parent of three, I do try to be mindful of the thank you notes following showers, graduations, etc. However, as the giver of gifts to others, I have to say I never expect a thank-you note to follow. The thank-you I receive when I give the gift to them in person is sufficient for me. However, if the gift is not given in person, a thank you note would be nice.

LGadson 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree with the squawker. Kids need to understand the right way to display gratitude. You're suppose to do that! Graduation is a big deal. If they don't learn, they will begin to think people owe them something. Whenever my grandmother sent us a birthday gift/dress; my mother made us wear it, took a picture in it, and sent her a thank you letter with it. It meant a lot to my grandmother. Well that's how I was raised.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

In case you forgot, today's society thrives on the gimme gimme gimme equation, not the givey givey givey or thanky thanky thanky equation.

When I thank someone, the response is no problem instead of your welcomed. Why would it be a problem?

jglass 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, where and when did the "no problem" response start?

Clyde 1 year, 10 months ago

Kids mostly follow the actions that adults around them do. When a majority of Albany adults refuse to work for a living, (even when they are able) and draw welfare that screams in a loud voice "GIMME GIMME, FREE, YOU OWE ME AND I DON'T HAVE TO DO NUTHIN FOR IT BECAUSE MOST OF MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS ARE DOING THIS TOO!", then what do you expect the youth to do when it comes to giving thanks or spending any kind of effort to show how grateful they are for the things they are given? It matters very little if the adults were raised better and try hard to teach their kids to make an effort to be better people because of the basic rule, actions speak louder than words.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 10 months ago

True, I agree. Send them thank you cards out.

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

I am probably the biggest grump in the world at graduation, wedding and birth announcement times. I think I get them because someone sweeps their address book and sends them irregardless of the fact that they have not seen or heard from me in 10 or 15 years, sometimes 20. They are gift trolling, nothing more, and I refuse to be part of it, and most of the announcements end up in the garbage. This year I responded to ONE, yes 1, announcement. The announcement was a very appreciated one....gifts were given and a thank you letter was sent to us and later a personal visit by the recipient. The people will soon have someone else to talk about when they run out of gossip as far as us ignoring Junior but the young lady hopefully won't and that is all that matters.

agonized 1 year, 10 months ago

It gets really expensive at this time of year, too, between the weddings and graduations with the occasional baby shower. You do have to sweep some of those announcements away from a financial standpoint! My position on thank-you notes is this: we were expected to write thank-you notes growing up, and I'm trying to raise my child this way too. However, I don't expect thank-you notes any more, but when I mail something, I'd at least like an acknowledgment via email, just to make sure it got there!

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

It seems that I am in the minority when it comes to thank you notes. For the record, I taught my kids that a PERSON'S PRESENCE at graduation, etc. was the gift not the card nor the package. If that person chose to send a gift, that was their option. We did not send the announcements for the presents, but for the presence. I stand by my earlier post.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

That may work well, but the squawker is saying they send out invitations expecting a gift. If they expect a gift, then the person giving the gift has the right to expect a thank you. Perhaps rather than sending a gift they could send a congratulations card.

tocar 1 year, 10 months ago

If you send out invitations, then you must expect a gift. If you appreciate the gift then the least you can do is send a thank you note. People do not owe you a gift and etiquettely thank you notes are in order. This attitude of "gimme" leaves allots to be desired. I can't stand to be around people who have this attitude. There are too many opportunities available now for you to better your life. If this is a learned attitude, maybe you need to grow up and change it so your world will be a better place.

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

Actually my children never sent out high school, college graduation, or wedding announcements. They never liked that sort of thing..the traditional school stuff.....maybe it had something to do with going to so many schools.....(I was the same way....typical military brat)...never felt I belonged to the senior class....went to so many schools in 12 years..and never felt it harmed me in any way....felt it was a better learning experience, actually. The important people in their lives knew when they were graduating and when they were getting married and had the option of sending them a gift if they wanted to. Invitation to graduation was limited because of seating, both during high school and college graduation and when the children were married word-of-mouth let family and friends know they were welcome to the outdoor celebrations on the farm. Consequently both of my children got very generous cash gifts at graduation and when they married family and friends gave them both cash gifts and some very nice presents to start them off in housekeeping. The children and their new spouses in turn sent letters in which they acknowledged their kind generosity with heartfelt thanks. Everyone handles this in a different manner, thank goodness, for can you imagine a society where we all follow the leader like a bunch lemmings?

jglass 1 year, 10 months ago

tocar, you are so right!!!!