Squawk of the Day - June 20, 2012

"It’s sad you have hundreds of war heroes who have fought and given their lives for this country that are forgotten, yet someone wants to honor Rodney King as a national hero and build a monument for him. He was a drunken lawbreaker, not a national hero."

Comments

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

If they wanted to honor drunken lawbreakers, I vote for Otis Campbell. Now here is a guy that would get drunk, come in and lock himself up in jail, so that Barney & Andy could go out with Helen Crump & Thelma Lou.

Yeah I know I know, Otis is no national hero, but thought there was enough discussion about Rodney King on the previous story, so thought I would change it up a little.

MRKIA 1 year, 10 months ago

OK, RODNEY KING IS DEAD. BOO-HOO. KEEP IT MOVING.

confusedCITIZEN 1 year, 10 months ago

just like the city went out the way fo Lcpl Sutton, but did nothing for Theron Hobbs, he was from Albany, but yet you saw his name nowhere but a Chikn-Fil-A where he use to work. Theron was killed in Iraq, what makes him less important.

Jimboob 1 year, 10 months ago

This was a disgrace. You would have expected more from Albany than this.

bigbob 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree that all service members are hero's especialy the one killed in action. But as far as LCpl Sutton it was the people of Lee Cty who went of their way to make sure he recieved a hero's welcome home. It's not our fault that no one in Albany had enough ambition to make sure another hero Mr. Hobbs was honored.

VietVet1 1 year, 10 months ago

RIP Theron Hobbs - your fellow veterans honor your sacrifice

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes, it was Lee County who organized this. The Jessie Jacksons of Albany did not care because he brought them nothing. I knew that this was going to come about, but look in the mirror, do not wait for white folks to do your thinking for you!!! I do genealogy and I hear all the time on why black folks can find nothing. You do nothing, so you get nothing.

bubbavet 1 year, 10 months ago

You just said it. It was " Agony, Ga.". The people got it started. They didn't wait for a free handout. Common sense and compassion.

guardian 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm not sure where you were that day, but there was a huge caravan of Law Enforcement vehicles that led the funeral procession for Theron Hobbs.

watchman 1 year, 10 months ago

Maybe I should be memorialized and perhaps I will when I succumb, being I have survived the lies and the robbery of my nest egg (401k) by Congress and the crooks that make up the business world in these United States.

RedEric 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey, Watchman. I got robbed by the same people. They kept telling me "It's equivalent". When Rodney King died he had a swimming pool in his back yard. I don't have mine blown up yet.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

These days, "hero" is a relative term. WALB called Phillip Phillips a hero during its coverage of Lance Corporal Sutton's funeral--one man's hero is another man's drunken fool...

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

Think small, hit small. He is just a sign of the mentality today. The Jesses and Als are small. but they get in the news all the time.

bigbob 1 year, 10 months ago

He was a looser who never accomplished anything except live off tax payers. Yep a perfect hero for Albany.

VietVet1 1 year, 10 months ago

For those that want to honor Rodney King goes to show you how low their morals are. BTW, just what type of honest work did Rodney do to support his lifestyle?

coachjohnson42 1 year, 10 months ago

I dont think Rodney King was a hero, nor a perfect citizen. He was just another Black man unjustly beaten by the police which happened to be caught on tape. Thats all....

Clif 1 year, 10 months ago

Now that he is dead, he can vote for Obama multiple times. That, in the eyes of Obama voters, makes him a hero. He lived the Afro-American dream, taxpayer funded.

jglass 1 year, 10 months ago

No, he was not a hero. FlunkyMonkey, I guess you said it best!!!

LGadson 1 year, 10 months ago

I think Sandusky is a DISGUSTING LOSER!! Every RACE has their crap of people. Discuss others as well!

beartrap 1 year, 10 months ago

rodney king wasn't beaten because he was a black man...he was beaten because he tried to fight with the police.....

jglass 1 year, 10 months ago

beartrap, you are absolutely correct.

Hawk59 1 year, 10 months ago

Why are we commenting on another Rodney King Squawk? Surely there must be something else of more importance. Who write these Squawks anyway? They are almost always based on race and color. Surely there must be something positive to write and comment on if we just take the time to look for it. For those who want to learn about a city dubbed as Lil Pakistan, because of an alarming violence rate from killings. And a new effort to try and put a stop to these crimes with a program called " Rise Above". Go to www.NBC-2.COM, or www.newspress.com. Learn that even though the crime rate here is out of control, we still manage to find hope in success stories. And the will to make things better. We are trying to take back our streets block by block, one neighborhood at a time. Wish us luck, and pray for our children....Please....

Hoodie 1 year, 10 months ago

Maybe when the Riverquarium runs outta money we can tear it down and build the Rodney King Plaza! I'm sure he came thru Albany once that seems to be all it takes to get a park built in your honor........

willie 1 year, 10 months ago

Just wondering if any of you have ever left the Albany area and seen what is happening in other parts of the USA. The reason I ask is news from the rest of the country seems to be ignored unless it is has to do with racial issues.

Mr. King is dead and gone from this world, yet the overtones printed here in the squawk are unbelievable, no respect for the deceased.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

In case you haven't noticed, everything these days are black and white issues, whether it is American Idol, Miss USA or Miss America, Sports,The President, Movies, Music, Cartoons, you name it, it is all about whether one is black or one is white. If a white person wins, the black people moan and groan, if a black person wins, the white people moan and groan. Just like this page, the background is white, but the fonts are black. Everything evolves around black and/or white.

Hawk59 1 year, 10 months ago

Wrong, everything is not all about black and white. But people like you and others make it that way. The same people always comment negatively on black and white, or race issues. Change your heart and hopefully your mind will follow. And if I were some of you I would comment less, in other words ,make your point and keep it moving. My Grandfather used to say, " you could be the dumbest person in the world, but no one would ever know untill you open your mouth."

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

You are wrong Hawk, just like agirl said below, Jesse jackson is complaining about the new Adidas shoe that was put out because it reminds him of slavery. Everything is about black and white, and yes the BLACKS like Jesse Jackson brings up the stupidest things.

Sally_O 1 year, 10 months ago

If you really believe what your Grandfather said, then maybe you would be the one that would benefit keeping quiet.

Somebody 1 year, 10 months ago

You're right hawk, it's always the faught of the white man, it's always the other guys. If Al Sharpton was to shoot Jesse Jackson in front of thousands of witnesses, it would be the faught of the white man.

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey VSU....In case you missed it...old Jesse is now complaining about the shackle shoe....the new shoe Adidas has recently put out that has the ORANGE bands above the ankles....that reminds him of slavery..... when will he ever let it rest. I guess you are right...everything is black and white to some people. Ok, you may now criticize me for bringing it up...go for it...as you like to say....in 5--4--3--2--1.............

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks agirl, don't worry about anybody criticizing you, when you are right, you are right.

bubbavet 1 year, 10 months ago

If you think he deserves "R E S P E C T" You are another "F O O L"

agirl_25 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, willie, I not only leave the Albany area but I leave the country for 2 weeks every year and see what is going on in other parts of the world and boy would you be in for a shock if you did too. If you think there is no respect for the deceased here then hang on to your drawers, bucko, and go to other places and see how they are about deceased. Get over it. The one thing we have in the USA is freedom of speech and if people want to speak in what you feel are disrespectful tones about King, so be it......but soon the comedians are going to be using jokes about his death in their nightclub acts...I have read some of them on the CNN blogs and some are hilarious and altho in poor taste (in your eyes I am sure, but these are the same comics who found Richard Pryor's setting himself on fire when freebasing cocaine funny and got laughs from it in their comedy routine) but nonetheless he will be the brunt of jokes as well as the topic of conversation for a while. You will have to accept it or just stop reading about it...simple as that.

firefly 1 year, 10 months ago

Lee vs. Albany... there ya go!

Hoodie 1 year, 10 months ago

I have friends that come down to visit and bust out laughing at the "Ray Charles Figure" in downtown they can't figure out why we would honor him in such a big way. Then they ask why do y'all have xmas lights over the bridge nobody in the ghetto cares for a arch over a bridge that was a waste of money. Yet Black White reigns again build a baseball park near the ghetto it gets forgotten put a aquarium in the ghetto to revive it it goes broke and people get guns pulled on them around it. It will never stop hopefully Lee county can't keep taxes down enough to keep the flight in LEE Co and the trash in the Thug Life City