As of Thursday, June 21, 2012
© Copyright 2014
ALBANY, Ga. — A cat probably started a fire in an apartment building on Maryland Drive, Albany Fire Department officials said.
Officials reported no injuries in the fire at apartment B at 1208 Maryland Drive. A cat escaped from the apartment after knocking over a lit candle onto a sofa, which caught fire and sent heavy smoke into the apartment.
Albany Police Department officers closed off traffic to the block at Baker Avenue and Eugemar Drive. Firefighters used 250 gallons of water to extinguish the blaze quickly.
People from the other three apartments in he building evacuated and stood outside the building watching the firefighters save their residences.
According to reports, apartment resident Susan Barron used a candle for light because the power to the apartment had been shut off. After the fire was out, the apartment’s windows and doors were closed with plywood.
Neither Barron nor her rental agent, Dolee Rentals, could be reached for information. The cat remains anonymous.