Cat causes fire, $65,000 damage

ALBANY, Ga. — A cat probably started a fire in an apartment building on Maryland Drive, Albany Fire Department officials said.

Officials reported no injuries in the fire at apartment B at 1208 Maryland Drive. A cat escaped from the apartment after knocking over a lit candle onto a sofa, which caught fire and sent heavy smoke into the apartment.

Albany Police Department officers closed off traffic to the block at Baker Avenue and Eugemar Drive. Firefighters used 250 gallons of water to extinguish the blaze quickly.

People from the other three apartments in he building evacuated and stood outside the building watching the firefighters save their residences.

According to reports, apartment resident Susan Barron used a candle for light because the power to the apartment had been shut off. After the fire was out, the apartment’s windows and doors were closed with plywood.

Neither Barron nor her rental agent, Dolee Rentals, could be reached for information. The cat remains anonymous.

Comments

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

The cat would do it again if it could. I hate cats.

LeesburgLady 2 years, 1 month ago

The cat didnt light the candle. I love cats.

erudite 2 years, 1 month ago

Poverty caused that fire. Why is that family without electricity?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

That is the right question, erudite, but since you consider yourself the purveyor of all knowledge, perhaps you know the answer already? But please don't say it's my fault.

erudite 2 years, 1 month ago

If I knew everything, do you think I'd be in Albany?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Cats don't care who they hurt.

Clyde 2 years, 1 month ago

65 BIG!!! Find that cat and grill him for the truth!! My money says the cat was in on an insurance fraud scam and was hired by the 1st cousin of the owner who is tied up in the middle of a love triangle with the woman in apt A. It was set because his wife hired a PI and he was getting too close to solving the case. The ins money was going to allow them to run away together, with the cat. Accident, yeah right!!!

g3tr3al 2 years, 1 month ago

There was no enters insurance! Please dont post stupid crap to get not needed drama going! All this town does is create drama with assumptions, get a life and grow up. A tragic event shouldnt be turned into a joke or a racial slander throwing event. 3 girls, 15 yr old triplets lost everything they own cause of a careless mistake made.

danielle1 2 years, 1 month ago

Sister Ruby, cats dont care who they hurt? ITS A CAT!!! You are a joke. You sit behind a computer all day and make the stupidiest comments I have ever read. Your comments on the birth announcements show how ignorant you are. Sure people give their children ridicuals names but why is it any of your concern? You dont have to live with them, pernounce, or spell their names for the rest of their lives so why do you care? Get a damn JOB and stop judging people you dont know. Judgment day will come for you soon enough "Sister".

Jacob 2 years, 1 month ago

I hope that grammar and spelling do not count on judgement day, danielle. If so, you better pack some extra ice water..

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

The ridiculous names will in all likelihood result in a ridiculous future for those poor children in the Birth column (and they need real Fathers, not baby daddies roaming all over town, tom-catting, looking for the next piece of tail, staying with the cat theme).

But thanks for your kind comments, danielle. There are many, many folks who enjoy my comments. Some are in jest, some are serious, and some are ??????

I also enjoy when people go the all the trouble to get a Herald online ID just so they can attempt to "rip me a new one". It makes me feel special. Thanks again, danielle.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 1 month ago

Yep, you guessed it right, Danielle1's very first comment here on the Albany Herald Website... I love your comments, Sister Ruby. Keep up the good work. I love cats too, and I do not take offense.

jglass 2 years, 1 month ago

erudite, maybe it has been months since they have paid a utility bill, therefore the power was cut off. And, being renters, they probably don't have rental insurance. This is a sad situation.

danielle1 2 years, 1 month ago

Sister Ruby, cats dont care who they hurt? ITS A CAT!! Your weekly posts on the birth announcements show how ignorant you are. Yea people give their children ridiculas names but its THEIR children, why is it any of your concern?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

It concerns me and it should concern EVRYBODY!! The single biggest CAUSAL FACTOR in generational poverty is single-parent "households" where the Mamma can't finish High School or College but must care for a bastard child while the baby daddy runs free seeking his next......well you get the picture.

Kenny36 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, SIsta Ruby. So are you a "major prophetess" or a communist ? Oh, I am sorry, or are you just an unemployed government free-loader who hates cats ? Cats are God's creators, didn't you know that "prophetess" ?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Look closer at the logo Mr. Kenny.........yes it's not the Communist symbol....it's the Obammunist symbol! Put on your glasses.

"Kenny36", another one post wonder with a Big Single Finger Salute for me. I'm very humbled.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

And I don't get a cent from the government.

erudite 2 years, 1 month ago

So is he a communist or a socialist? Make up your mind. Oh yeah, since you blamed the president for the high gas prices, where are the thank you's for the drop in prices?

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

As Thomas Sowell, one of the great minds of our time, wrote in his column a week ago "Obama is a fascist, not a socialist". Go back and read it. Sowell nailed it. But the symbol is just "getting near the target" and not meant to be definitive. You can't really have and all-emcompassing communication with just a logo.

erudite 2 years, 1 month ago

Sowell is a mind all right but I am not sure if I would put him in the great minds category; he is as close-minded on the right as he accuses the left of being. No one is correct;l I do like to read his material though. I don't know if I would like to be in one of his classes though!!

Fascist vs socialist.....that's a tough choice.

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

As an armchair expert on Adolph Hitler, he was Both! He was elected under the Democratic Socialist Party in Germany and when elected, fanagled his way to becoming the Supreme Chancellor of Germany with absolute power and an army of henchmen to enforce his "personal edicts". That sounds alot like what Obama would do if he could.

Liberal politicians and pundits like to assign the warning label "fascist" to conservatives........but the fascists of History have all been elected as Liberals, Socialists, or Communists. And many millions have died as a result of their rise to power.

Kenny36 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey Sista Rudy....I mean Ruby, I did have my glasses on when I saw your communist symbol but now you've removed it.

Shinedownfan 2 years, 1 month ago

She has had this pic before... I switch my picture all the time...

Shinedownfan 2 years, 1 month ago

Wow, Sister Ruby... You bringing in the newbies today, eh? How ever do you do it?

danielle1 2 years, 1 month ago

Some are disgusted. I got a herald Id to express my opinion, something you must be familiar with not to "rip you a new one". Before today I only came to Albanyhearld.com to read the news like most people do and just like every other day I see another one of ignorant and offensive posts. I could really care less about a cat Im more of a dog person anyway. It is nice to know that someone in my community is concerned about how the lives of others will turn out because they were given a name that you dont agree with or particularly like. Since there are many, many folks who enjoy your post you should think about starting your own blog. You could call it "Free Judgment for Those I Dont Agree With"

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

Woops.......a blog....you just beat me to it!

And you don't need a Herald ID to read the paper online, nor to read the comments. So......

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 1 month ago

And my Principles will not allow me to profit monetarily (via a "blog") from my superior intellectual abilities as expressed in writing. Very unfair to others. But you know this by now, right?