0

Cat starts fire in Albany apartment

— A cat was the likely culprit in an 8 a.m. apartment fire on Maryland Drive, Albany Fire Department officials say.

No one was injured in the fire in Apartment B at 1208 Maryland Drive, fire officials say. Albany police closed off traffic to the block as AFD quickly extinguished the fire.

Battalion Chief Kelly Harcrow said the likely source of the blaze was a candle that was knocked over by a cat. The candle fell onto the arm of a sofa, igniting the fire.

The candle was apparently being used for light because power to the apartment had been cut off.

The cat has not been located.

Map

1208 Maryland Drive

1208 Maryland Drive

Comments

VSU 2 years, 5 months ago

Don't leave stoves unattended, and I guess now don't leave candles unattended, particularly if you have pets or young toddlers.

0

jglass 2 years, 5 months ago

Well, cats do jump on EVERYTHING and rub against everything as well. Hope the damage was minor. Glad there were no injuries.

0

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 5 months ago

Cats will do anything. They have no concern for anybody else.

0

erudite 2 years, 5 months ago

A lighted candle started the fire, not a cat. Cats are smart but probably incapable of starting a fire.

What really started the fire was that this family does not have enough money for electricity!!!! (What is the cat eating? Mice and birds only?)

The true tragedy is no electricity. According to many squawkers, the family doesn't deserve any assistance because they are lazy and dumb, feel entitled, and spend their money on gold teeth, fancy cars, and fake fingernails.

0

Sister_Ruby 2 years, 5 months ago

If the scenario you presented were true.............(your last paragraph) then I would agree that they would not deserve assistance.

0

Hawk59 2 years, 5 months ago

Erudite, I agree. And if this family needs help. I am willing... Herald please update this story.

0

whodat 2 years, 5 months ago

No, the cat did not start the fire. Back up the chain of events and you get to the part where a person made the decision to use a candle, which was where it all went wrong. For whatever reason the electricity was off, there are other means of lighting that don't involve an open flame (such as a flashlight or battery-operated lantern). Not that they have to, but for prevention of incidents such as this, perhaps Water, Gas, and Light could make a robo-call or leave a pamphlet to suggest ways of coping without electricity. I know....not an ideal solution but better than spending thousands of taxpayer dollars for fire dept. action.

1

agirl_25 2 years, 5 months ago

I read the updated account about the fire in another online section and am wondering the following: Did Ms. Barron see the cat knock the candle over and if so why didn't she pick it up and stop the fire from burning the sofa? Is the writer assuming the cat knocked the candle over on the sofa? Also, does the cat remain anonymous because it has no name or does it remain missing? Oh, and one more thing, in another post about the fire here in this section , where does the information come from that the residents have gold teeth, fancy cars and fake fingernails? Just curious.

0

erudite 2 years, 5 months ago

It comes from some squawks about housing assistance. Sister_Ruby's comment today is indicative of why I added those adjectives.

0

g3tr3al 2 years, 5 months ago

No they are not black with gold teeth, fancy cars, and all that stuff! No she didnt see the cat knock it over, she left for a few minutes. No power due to outrageous rates w the company! Main thing is the 3 kids who lost everything get taken care of and from what I understand help is pouring in from mother and dads side of the family so I'm sure they will be.

0

agirl_25 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks.......g3tr3al.....I was curious about the comments...sorry about the loss the kids suffered.......the story was kind of incomplete here and glad the mother is getting help.

0

Sign in to comment