As of Thursday, June 21, 2012
© Copyright 2014
ALBANY A cat was the likely culprit in an 8 a.m. apartment fire on Maryland Drive, Albany Fire Department officials say.
No one was injured in the fire in Apartment B at 1208 Maryland Drive, fire officials say. Albany police closed off traffic to the block as AFD quickly extinguished the fire.
Battalion Chief Kelly Harcrow said the likely source of the blaze was a candle that was knocked over by a cat. The candle fell onto the arm of a sofa, igniting the fire.
The candle was apparently being used for light because power to the apartment had been cut off.
The cat has not been located.