Riggins to face tribunal

ATLANTA — Dougherty County School board member Velvet Riggins is scheduled to appear before a governor’s tribunal at 9 a.m. today to answer questions in regard to a Dougherty grand jury indictment on four counts of school lunch fraud.

Early last week Gov. Nathan Deal appointed Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens, Henry County School Board member Erik Charles and Tift County School Board member Shawn Utley to review the charges against Riggins.

Riggins was indicted on April 25 by a Dougherty County grand jury on two counts of theft by taking, public record fraud and providing false information to obtain free school meals for a child.

The indictment stems from two 2011-12 free or reduced-cost school lunch applications filed for her children at Robert Cross Middle Magnet School and Lincoln Elementary Magnet School.

Riggins and her attorney, Mark Brimberry, appeared at an arraignment hearing on June 5 before Superior Court Judge Stephen Goss, who gave Brimberry until June 29 to file motions in the case.

Deal instructed the tribunal to make a written report to be delivered to his office by Friday with a recommendation as to whether Riggins should be suspended from office.

Comments

waltspecht 1 year, 9 months ago

Regardless of the reasoning involved in her actions. I am smart enough to know it was wrong and deceitful. Therefore, I would guess she knew the same thing. For anyone to display this type of dishonesty is a judgement about their character. For them to do it while in Public Office is dispicable. I don't see where the Tribunal was even necessary. She should have resigned.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 9 months ago

She should resign to set an example for the students whose lives she governs. She should resign to show her children how to do the right thing when you break the law. She should resign because what she did was tantamount to theft. She should resign, but remember, she is saying she didn't know how to fill out the form. She should resign because someone with that little common sense should not be sitting on a school board.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Intent, it's all about what was intended.

Case closed, she is innocent, 4 more years. Like Roger Clements she will be okay.

Please correct the spelling -smile.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

I asked you once before "what was her intent" and the answer was "how can anybody know what she was thinking/" and now you seem to be arguing that "it's about what was intended" which will result in her innocence. Which is it?

gotanyfacts 1 year, 9 months ago

Sister... remember that _rureel is devoid of intellectual integrity. Asking him to explain something will cause him to blather or disappear!

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 9 months ago

I am with BVR and Coach let's give her four more years. They allow and approve of Riggin's morals and character and she is who they want their kids to emulate. Why waste our breath any longer? You can lead a donkey to water but you can’t make him drink. In years to come they can no longer play the blame “the other folks” game because this is a Society of their own making.

BTW anyone that works for a living and pays taxes in the State of Georgia and wants to look at sending a child to a private school, the State of Georgia will give you up to $2,500.oo for a married couple filing jointly.

agirl_25 1 year, 9 months ago

Does the state really do that Abytaxpayer, about private schools....the $2,500 or are you yanking someone's leg? I ask because my grandson goes to private school and I NEVER EVER say a thing to my kids about their finances (none of my business). If that is true I would love to slip it into a conversation somehow to see if they are taking advantage of it. I hate to sound like a dummy about finances (duh but I guess I am, huh) but I just sign on the dotted line every year and leave it up to someone else. Now be kind to me when you reply, remember I am an old lady...sniff sniff...hahaha..or I will smack you with my cane or run over you with my Scooter Chair.

ObjectiveEyes 1 year, 9 months ago

It's called "GOAL" and you can have your $2500 redirected to a private school, but, it can't be designated for a particular student. I'm not REAL familiar with the program, but, I think it's been phased out?

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 9 months ago

agirl the state really does do that.

It is a dollar-for-dollar tax credit for contributions made to support scholarships for kids seeking a private school education. It is very simple you apply to State of Georgia to enter the program; they accept your application for up to $2,500.oo per couple. There is a $50 million cap on the program for this year. The only loop hole is you have to pay the Scholarship with in 60 or 90 days of being approved.. But the great part is Georgia gives you a dollar-for-dollar tax credit when you file your State Tax that comes right off the bottom line so you get all $2,500.oo back. Think of it as a Rebate! So if you have kids going or wanting to go to private schools Georgia will give you $2,500.oo of your own tax money back.

If you or anyone else would like more info send me a Email to Yahoo AbyTaxPayer.

ObjEyes it is still in effect and you can direct it to a particular student.

The Dumacrates hate the program because it is designed to help kids get a better education. There is an "Education Crisis" in Georgia. Based on almost every objective measure, the Georgia school system is ranked in the bottom 10%. 61,500 students dropped out of the class of 2010.

MRKIA 1 year, 9 months ago

SHE INTENDED TO GET FREE LUNCHES FOR HER KIDS. SHE INTENDED TO GET AWAY WITH IT JUST LIKE MANY OTHERS HAVE DONE.

ontario1966 1 year, 9 months ago

I hope for the sake of the DCSS and the tribunal, that they let her go. She has already been indited, so enough is enough! Give her a dead rose as a parting gift and a bill to pay back the Government!!

MRKIA 1 year, 9 months ago

I'VE POSTED VELVET'S INTENT BUT APPARENTLY THE MODERATOR BELIEVES IT'S TOO SOON FOR PUBLICATION.

RedEric 1 year, 9 months ago

Velvet Riggens......what a piece of work. Actually, she is a normal welfare recipient. Lying is endemic and acceptable in the welfare class. BTW that is not racist. Fraud is approaching 50 percent of total program cost. Welfare of all kinds is just under one trillion per year, so have a possible savings of 500B with strict enforcement. Ask yourself.....why is that not done?

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

Open-minded people HAVE asked themselves and the answer is simple: the programs exist to buy lifetime votes from the welfare recipients for the Democrat party. Simple!

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 9 months ago

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.

Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free minutes, food stamps, free housing, and he votes Democrat for a lifetime. Obuma has bought so many slaves for the Government Plantation (Dumbacrates) he is not worried because their votes are bought and paid for.

Even Coach has said. “Blacks feel like they are owed reparations for helping to build the USA and were denied, so now welfare is a little payback for them” confirming they vote for the checks NOT the man.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 9 months ago

coach spoke the truth. well said, coach. you got it right that time. the sum total of today's problem as it relates to much of the african american population (which is only 14% of the US demographic but wow that tail sure does wage the US dog!)

MRKIA 1 year, 9 months ago

ABYTAX: I MUST HAVE MISSED THE ANNOUNCEMENT ASSIGNING COACH AS THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE BLACK POPULACE. TO AVOID ANY CONFUSION I'D LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT THERE ARE 2 DISTINCT FACTIONS WITHIN THE COMMUNITY OF PEOPLE OF COLOR.TRUE "BLACK" PEOPLE DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO THE NOTION THAT THEY ARE OWED REPARATIONS. THE OTHER FACTION? USE YOUR IMAGINATION, COACH IS ONE OF THEM. BUBBAVET_RU IS THE LOCAL POSTER CHILD.

tennisman 1 year, 9 months ago

To those of you who try to argue with coach a word of wisdom. Never argue with an Idiot he will only bring down to his level and beat you with experience. End of the lesson.