Squawk of the Day - June 27, 2012

I have seen how towns like Americus, Thomasville and Moultrie have thriving downtowns. They don’t have people putting tickets on cars everywhere. They let them shop as long as they want to. Get it right Albany.

Comments

PatrickY2K 1 year, 10 months ago

Someone is bitter about receiving a parking ticket. Sorry, Albany has its faults, but having parking laws is not one of them.

chinaberry25 1 year, 10 months ago

Thriving towns is the operative word. My suggestion is to bring back the parking meters to generate revenue. Of course they would find a way to steal from them. But as far as Americus being thriving, it is that government money dished out after the tornado. Albany had the same after the flood. Ours is over so we are back to normalcy. But when your main cottage industry is welfare, does not take a genius to figure out the bleak life Albany offers.

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 10 months ago

I disagree--when you are downtown (especially at the courthouse or tag office) sometimes it takes more than two hours for something you thought you could just run in a take care of. If you leave to move your car, to a lot where you don't have to worry about the time, you have to walk a mile to get back to your business only to find that you have lost your place in line and have to start over...

Clif 1 year, 10 months ago

Albany--what a mess!!! If the world was going to get an enema, they would stick it in in Albany.

willie 1 year, 10 months ago

Why don't you leave the area if you feel that way?

rightasrain 1 year, 10 months ago

I thought the 'great' BJ Fletcher was going to single-handed revive downtown; guess since she lost the Mayoral election, that isn't going to happen. By the way...where is Fletcher?

bigbob 1 year, 10 months ago

What you complaining about, you didn't want her so she was smart enough to start a bussiness in Lee Cty. Do you need her to help the new mayor do her best for Albany by picking up trash. LOL The only way Albany will change is if they get rid of the trash that lives & breathes.

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 10 months ago

She is involved with downtown still. Go visit her at the Hilton Garden Inn where she is the Events Coordinator. Go have lunch with her one day there and you will see for yourself. She IS still involved in downtown. She will help the Hilton become successful, you wait and see...

beartrap 1 year, 10 months ago

Americus,thomasville and moultrie don't have a mall with acres of free parking.....billions of dollars have been wasted on trying to revitalize downtown shopping but they don't provide the thing that people want the most....ample, free parking near where you going to shop....

Nonsporting 1 year, 10 months ago

I rarely shop at the mall because of the walking distance involved. When necessary I shop at a store that has an outside entrance--then in and out. I prefer smaller, specialty shops, with smaller parking lots.

jglass 1 year, 10 months ago

If there was no time limit on parking downtown, the owners of their stores and the employees would park in these parking spots right outside of the businesses. And, believe it or not the traffic cop person DOES NOT give out tickets like he/she should. I go past the little barber shop between Pine and Broad and the turquoise car is almost ALWAYS parked out there. Yep, the ticket giver picks and chooses who to give tickets to. Yeah the meters would be wonderful again, but there is no telling how much money it would cost us tax payers to purchase enough of them!!!

waltspecht 1 year, 10 months ago

Now BJ Fletcher has tried in the past, and continues to try to make Albany a better place. She just recently offered a reward for the Vandals that disgraced themselves and their families by smearing the Vietnam Memorial. I know I have contributed to it's restoration, have you? For that matter, what have you done for Albany lately? I support good causes in Albany, and I don't even live there. Plus I do leave my share of sales tax money in Dougherty County. What little I have done doesn't even scratch the surface of what BJ has actually accomplished.

jglass 1 year, 10 months ago

waltspecht, you are so right. I also enjoyed your article in today's paper "In My View". You are dead on!!!

cfcarroll64 1 year, 10 months ago

I live between Albany and Tifton and when i want to shop, i go to Tifton as it is a much safer place to be. The crime in Albany is out of control and no amount of parking meters is going to solve the problems, will just add to them.