Williams-Brown complains about missing election signs

Dougherty County School Board member Anita Williams-Brown held a news conference Tuesday to complain about three stolen four-by-four campaign signs and the attempted theft of another. Williams-Brown is standing beside one of the signs she replaced recently on Jefferson St. across from Ellott Funeral Home.

ALBANY -- Dougherty County School Board member Anita Williams-Brown held a news conference Tuesday to complain about the theft of three of her four-by-four campaign signs and the attempted theft of another.

"Every Friday I do a drive by check on my signs to make sure they are in the right areas and not on rights of way," Williams-Brown said. "I always get permission before putting up signs, and (Albany) code enforcement says they haven't taken down any of them.

Williams-Brown, the Board at-large member, is locked in an election battle with challenger Lane Price. The outcome will be determined in the July 31 primary.

"We have witnesses that saw two people removing two of my signs in Putney, and we just had to replace the one here (on Jefferson across from Elliott Funeral Home)," she said. "We also had someone attempting to take down another sign but they ran off when questioned about what they were doing.

"We have passed descriptions of the people along to the Albany Police Department. The signs cost me a lot of money. So far, I've lost around $500 in signs."

Comments

Happy 1 year, 10 months ago

It is sad that the her competition would not take the higher road. It sounds like the competition in this race believes in cheating. Taking a person's political signs is a felony. At least Dr. Brown is taking the higher road by wishing not to prosecute and requesting the signs be returned.

BTW Terry, it sounds like you have bias against the candidate. Your byline for this story puts the candidate in a negative light. It is obvious that by using the word complain versus something like "candidate pleas with thief to return signs" that you are bias. Either go back to school and learn how to be unbiased or quit journalism altogether. Your are a disgrace to the field. I am also disappointed in your editor that they would not catch this grade school mistake!

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

How do you know the competition was the one stealing the signs? Where is your evidence? Where is your proof? Were you there? Did you get it on video? The story doesn't indicate fowl play by her competitor. How do you kinow it's not some punk kids getting into mischief? Putney & South Jefferson?

Happy 1 year, 10 months ago

If you read the police report, you would see that there were witnesses to the crime. My issue with the byline is the tone.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

But who were the witnesses? Are they credible witnesses? or just someone who wants to make it out like the competition is playing dirty by stealing her signs. What are the descriptions of the suspects?

ghostofkarelia 1 year, 10 months ago

The fact that there are witnesses doesn't mean anything. "Her competition" wouldn't stoop to that level. But maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps her competitor (who is a REAL doctor, btw) moonlights as a vigilante sign ninja. And how do you know that Williams-Brown is the only one who has lost signs? Is that in the police report, too? People who take the high road don't hold news conferences about stuff like this. With that being said, I wish that people wouldn't steal signs. As much as people seem to dislike her, she deserves a fair shot at re-election, just like everybody else.

Also, I found it funny that you called a journalist a disgrace in a sentence that also contains a glaring grammatical error. "Complain" is the best word. I went ahead and looked it up for you. Stop overanalyzing and enjoy.

Shinedownfan 1 year, 10 months ago

I really find it hard to believe that Lane Price would have anything to do with taking any of Dr. Brown's signs, especially the ones which are in the "hood".

Happy 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow, the "hood"? It is sad that you refer to citizens that live in areas of low income as the hood. Now that IS a biased comment. I wonder if any of Lane Price's signs have been removed.

MRKIA 1 year, 10 months ago

THATS HOW THE CITIZENS THAT LIVE IN AREAS OF LOW INCOME DESCRIBE IT THEMSELVES. THEY COULDN'T AFFORD "NEIGHBORHOOD", THEIR FINANCES COULD ONLY GET THEM TO "HOOD".

Outtahere 1 year, 9 months ago

It is so sad that you don't even relize what you're saying. Low income neighborhood, hince the word "hood". Why so sensitive?

KaosinAlbany 1 year, 10 months ago

Is there proof that Dr. Price was stealing them? Perhaps it was angry citizens in the community. It does happen, you know. While I was helping campaign last year I saw a teen jump out of a pick up truck and steal one of BJ's signs right in front of me. So it does happen so don't blame Dr. Price until you have proof.

Happy 1 year, 10 months ago

There is proof that one of her competitor's supporters took the signs. I do not believe Price took it herself.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Show us the proof. I haven't read anywhere that it has been proven that a competitor stole her signs.

LuLu 1 year, 10 months ago

You say you have read the police report and that there is proof of who took the signs. Shouldn't you share that information with Terry Lewis so it can be included in the story? Don't you want the perpetrator to be outed?

Happy 1 year, 10 months ago

If Terry wanted to have reported the police report, he would have. He chose to take the bias route.

Progressive 1 year, 10 months ago

Sounds like "Happy" is the one who is biased. Why would you accuse someone else for being biased just for using the word "complain"? That is what she did. She complained about signs being removed. And why would you jump to asking the writer to "quit journalism..." just for using a non-biased word in a title? Happy, seek anger management if this bothers you that much.

Happy 1 year, 10 months ago

Progressive, I am just tired of the Albany Herald using the bully pulpit to create tension among the citizens of this great city. I am HAPPY, not angry. I just wish we could all get along. Is that too much to wish for?

MRKIA 1 year, 10 months ago

THE WORD IS "BIASED." NOW I CAUGHT YOUR GRADE SCHOOL MISTAKE. MORON

Happy 1 year, 10 months ago

What are you referring to?

agonized 1 year, 10 months ago

Unless things have changed, the reporter/writer of the story doesn't create the headline; the copy editor does. And the byline is the name of the reporter/writer and his/her position at the paper/magazine/online media website. I think your anger is directed at the wrong person.

Happy 1 year, 10 months ago

I do not have anger, just an opinion. Thanks for the clarification.

gotanyfacts 1 year, 10 months ago

Happy... I felt nothing negative toward the candidate when I read the byline. It summed up the story. There is nothing in the story about Ms. Williams-Brown pleading for the return of the signs. It appears that she filed a complaint with the police. Your own bias appears to have led you to overanalyze the way the story was written. If you have evidence that Ms. Williams-Brown's opponent is behind the missing signs, you should present it. Otherwise you are making assumptions based on your own bias.

Happy 1 year, 10 months ago

If you read the story from FOX (the only news source that does not show bias in their reporting of the news), you would see that she does not wish to prosecute but asks for the signs back. I do not have an opinion at this time about either candidate, so I do not have a bias. I just do not feel that a news company should be biased in their reporting. The bias in this story is evidenced by the tone.

gotanyfacts 1 year, 10 months ago

The word "complains" indicates tone? Personally, I would think replacing "missing" could be replaced with "removal" to be clearer. I thought "theft of" in place of "missing". All trivial. But, can you explain your comfort in blaming the Price campaign?

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 10 months ago

The truth will set your thought free.

gotanyfacts 1 year, 10 months ago

Terry... I have a question. The prefix Dr. is sometimes used for Ms. Williams-Brown. Does she hold a Doctorate? Zoom indicates only a BS in health and PE.

Happy 1 year, 10 months ago

http://www.awmsbrowntax.com/voteanitabrown/bio.html http://www.dougherty.k12.ga.us/board/profiles.htm

Dr. Anita Williams-Brown is Vice Chairman of the Board and received her early education in the public schools of Dougherty County. In 1969 she earned her B.S. degree in Health & Physical Education from Albany State University and in subsequent years has earned the M. Ed. from American University, an Educational Administration add-on from Albany State University, and Educational Specialist and Doctoral degrees in Curriculum and Instruction from Sarasota University. Dr. Williams-Brown is a retired school administrator, CEO of Blessed Community Development, Inc. and Anita Williams Tax Service. She currently pastors the Church of the Kingdom of God in Hawkinsville.

BOE Committees: Finance/Personnel (Chair) Instructional Services/Accountability

Current term expires: December 31, 2012

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

Try googling "Sarasota University" for a chuckle.....

Happy 1 year, 10 months ago

Where is the humor? I need a laugh....

Shinedownfan 1 year, 10 months ago

There is no such thing... there are Sarasota Universities... but not a "Sarasota University".

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 10 months ago

What is your educational level? Try yahooing that.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Higher than yours, no doubt.

gotanyfacts 1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks. I have run into a few folks that insist on being called "Doctor" after their organization bestowed an honorary degree on them. ;)

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

They call him Dr. Murfree, but then again we all know what a clown he is.

agonized 1 year, 10 months ago

Please tell me that isn't true, gotanyfacts! I wouldn't be surprised, though! ; )

It's only my opinion, but I don't think someone who has a Ph.D. should be addessed in the same manner as a doctor, dentist or vet. Just my opinion, though, I'll address someone however they want to be.

gotanyfacts 1 year, 10 months ago

Not kidding. Worked with an educator who would get indignant at not being addressed as Dr. after her church gave her the title for being an outstanding member, which she was.

Happy 1 year, 10 months ago

Sarasota University was bought out by Argosy University. It is a real school.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 10 months ago

What does zoom indicates for you and sister? 0 or zeero, work on the spelling moron caller "mrkia" with lowercase letters.

gotanyfacts 1 year, 10 months ago

Bless your heart. You really told us! ;)

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey moron, it's zero, not zeero.

jglass 1 year, 10 months ago

Classes are 1 night a week.?

jglass 1 year, 10 months ago

Ok, so for the most part, these comments have turned into gossip.

LuLu 1 year, 10 months ago

She held a news conference? Does that mean she got on the phone and called all the local media outlets to come listen to her "complain" or "report" or "advise" or (insert your word choice here) that her signs were "missing" or "disappeared" or "stolen"? That's the silliest thing I've heard today. What would be even sillier is if reporters ran over there to cover her news conference like it's a major breaking news story. Geez. Just file a police report and quit grandstanding. Free publicity is what she wanted, and well... that's what she got!

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 10 months ago

No comment LuLu, go back to sleep.

agonized 1 year, 10 months ago

That, and to create a controversy as to the character of her opponent's supporters...

I must agree it's a bit comical to imagine her "holding a news conference", as you set out. Thanks for the chuckle!

Having said that, those signs are so expensive these days that it would be aggravating to have them stolen, but the wind also blows them down, the elements get to them, etc. I think it's a hazard of running for office, but not press conference-worthy.

TheBoss 1 year, 10 months ago

This story is a "FREE CAMPAIGN" News Conference. Maybe Brown and Price need to have a debate on school issues instead of missing signs.

VSU 1 year, 10 months ago

Sounds like this whole thing is a blame the competition campaign to make everybody think Lane or Lane's supporters are playing dirty. Maybe she is playing the sympathy card.

Sister_Ruby 1 year, 10 months ago

Boss and VSU.......I agree with your assessment. "Free Advertising"

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 10 months ago

I disagree, so what does this means?

MRKIA 1 year, 10 months ago

THIS THING ABOUT PH.D'S REMINDS ME OF PEOPLE IDENTIFYING THEMSELVES AS "CEO'S" OF THEIR OWN BUSINESSES AND THEN YOU FIND IT'S ACTUALLY A ONE MAN CAR WASH OR LAWN SERVICE BARELY MAKING ENDS MEET. CEO, PH.D, ... SUCH LOFTY PRESTIGIOUS TITLES ASSOCIATED WITH MENIAL ENTERPRISES. REMINDS ME OF "FUNKY FINGER PRODUCTIONS" FROM IN LIVING COLOR.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 10 months ago

These people have worked hard for their titles, please respect, thanks.

FryarTuk 1 year, 9 months ago

A lot of public school teachers use these types of academic programs to go up the pay scale. For the most part they are little more than diploma mills that charge hefty fees. Not much respect warranted.

As to Williams-Brown's signs, they are placed in right of ways and in front of empty buildings and homes. Probably her campaign has just paid some folks to put the signs out and folks don't want them on their property. Williams-Brown is still responsible for the signs though.

Tarbaby 1 year, 9 months ago

Is there a reward for the stolen signs?

Outtahere 1 year, 9 months ago

I believe her signs being missing is a little thing called "Karma"....... or possibly what the other's mentioned - casting doubt on her oponent. She has to drag her competition through the mud to make this a fair fight you know?