Squawk of the Day - July 1, 2012

"I don’t understand why every family in Southwest Georgia that can possibly afford it doesn’t have an annual membership to both Chehaw and the RiverQuarium."

Comments

Abytaxpayer 1 year, 9 months ago

Many of us do! But they are both like stumping your toe on the corner of the dresser…After the 3rd or 4th time there it just isn’t fun anymore.

It is hard to sell to others when they are both such a poor return on your dollar compared to other attractions.

Bubbavet_rureel 1 year, 9 months ago

Abytaxpayer: You will have to write the President for the answers to you questions, all I can do is provide you with your President's address, as you know, he will reside there until November 2016.

Write a letter to the President Here are a few simple things you can do to make sure your message gets to the White House as quickly as possible.

1. If possible, email us! This is the fastest way to get your message to President Obama.

2. If you write a letter, please consider typing it on an 8 1/2 by 11 inch sheet of paper. If you hand-write your letter, please consider using pen and writing as neatly as possible.

3. Please include your return address on your letter as well as your envelope. If you have an email address, please consider including that as well.

4. And finally, be sure to include the full address of the White House to make sure you message gets to us as quickly and directly as possible:

The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Washington, DC 20500

Coach stop smiling!!!

tocar 1 year, 9 months ago

Once you have seen the mud cat fish and the aliigator you have seen them. I would not pay for annual membership to see more of the same. Cheehaw is different and offers more, but neither is like going to 'Wild Adventures where you get your monies worth. Albany is not a city of tourism. I agree with Abytaxpayer.

rightasrain 1 year, 9 months ago

Both are a wast of time and money. The Georgia Aquarium and Zoo Atlanta are better for my money; heck, I've even driven to the Tennessee Aquarium and it was worth every mile, minute and the money. Albany is a "wannabe" town for tourism. I'll spend my "tourist" dollars elsewhere, thank you.

LuLu 1 year, 9 months ago

Different people have different interests. That's why.

bigbob 1 year, 9 months ago

Chehaw yes, Riverquarium in downtown albany no thanks. If you moved the riverquarium & civic center out of town you would have big events. Most people don't feel save downtown. Even a open field in Sasser outdoes the civic center, thats insulting.

sue 1 year, 9 months ago

As usual the old bugaboo about how unsafe downtown is pops up.

It has been proven out over and over by the stats that downtown actually has lower crime than many other areas of Albany. But keep contributing to that ridiculous fake image of unsafe. IT obviously makes you feel better.

bigbob 1 year, 9 months ago

Sue, go hangout downtown after dark for a week to show me how safe you feel. Oh ya & we know albany would never rig the stats.LOL

sue 1 year, 9 months ago

I HAVE been downtown after dark many times. Nights at D'town rocks! I atend evening events at the RiverQuarium. I dont feel unsafe.

sue 1 year, 9 months ago

I go to Nights at dtown regularly and it rocks! I go regularly to evening events at the RiverQuarium. Never ever have an issue after dark downtown.

daisymae 1 year, 9 months ago

It is sad that Albany tax payers have to maintain the Civic Center, Riverquarium and Chehaw when you can have better entertainment in Sasser..yes Sasser at a flea market.

whattheheck 1 year, 9 months ago

As the comments show, entertainment has to be balanced with education to make a public venue work, which is difficult to do. But even the seemingly successful TN Aquarium could not support itself by selling primarily family memberships to locals. Tourists and others paying full price are needed to make it work. We don't attract many tourists. Would you and the kids rather go to Chattanooga or Albany, honey?

When the host city's population has a "touted" 30% poverty rate, many seniors with no or older "grands", couples with no children yet, and families that have to make real choices on what to do with limited education/entertainment funds are taken out of the potential money pool, there aren't enough left to buy a membership to make it work--even if they are willing. The problem is compounded since venues that support animals of any type are very costly to operate.

The RQ, ACRI, and Chehaw, as presently configured, will never be self supporting even with a substantial increase in family memberships. However, such an increase would help reduce the burden on the taxpayer if a decision is made to continue support with taxpayer money.

Reminds me of a car I really liked that kept needing more and more repairs to the point that its cost to operate overwhelmed my feelings for it-and I had to let it go.

waltspecht 1 year, 9 months ago

The Aquarium, Chehaw and the Civic Center were all touted to be self supporting. Apparently that was only a gleam in the eyes of the developers and Contractors that did right well on all three. When will people learn to realize they are being sold a bill of goods by many of these merchants selling these projects, pocketing their profits and moving on to the next fleecing of the taxpayer. One thing is for certain, at some point someone has got to say we have wasted enough money, without sufficient return. About like the old car. At some point it just costs too much to keep it running.

FryarTuk 1 year, 9 months ago

I wouldn't mind having a membership in the RiverQuarium and the Chehaw Park but then I would have to give up my membership in Thronateeska, or the Art Museum or the Civil Rights Museum or the YMCA or the Albany Theater or the Albany Humane Society. That squawk is basically nonsense. This community cannot maintain these facilities. It should have never been built. Albany Tomorrow is and was a boondoggle for tax payers. The RiverQuarium was a snake oil job from its inception. The best thing to do is try to negotiate with the Albany Art Museum to take it over and move down town.

Cartman 1 year, 9 months ago

Never been to Riverquarium. Never felt the urge. I used to go to Chehaw on a regular, almost weekly, basis. I quit when they started charging admission to get into a publicly funded park. In the past 25 years, I have been to Chehaw less than ten times, for various occasions.

whattheheck 1 year, 9 months ago

Have you given thought to the benefits of a family membership?:)

FlunkyMonkey 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't go to any of the above because I consider them luxuries. Besides, none have access for someone who is low visioned or legally blind--what's the point in spending the money if you can't see the displays?