Phillips in 'Idol' top 10

Samantha Young, left, and Haley Young react as they watch “American Idol” at a viewing party at Lee County High School cafeteria Thursday night. Fans came to show support for LCHS graduate Phillip Phillips, whose performance earned him a spot as one of the top 10 finalists. See if you were SPOTTED at albanyherald.com.

LEESBURG, Ga. -- Within minutes of "The American Idol" opening, Ryan Seacrest announced that Leesburg's Phillip Phillips had taken one of the top 10 spots for which 25 contestents were vying.

photo

Joe Bellacomo

Pandemonium. Phillips' hometown fans shouted, applauded and pounded the tables in the Lee County High School cafeteria with sheer joy just after 8 p.m. Thursday.

The cafeteria showed the talent contest on more than seven flat-screen televisions to the delight of an excited audience at a viewing party held for the community -- Phillips' community. WFXL, Albany's Fox Network affiliate, hosted the party.

"I think he is just the best thing for Lee County," said Lauren Underwood. "I'd listen to him a lot. I love his singing. I'd buy his CD for sure."

"The American Idol" episode was billed as a "results show." Ten of 25 contestants were voted into the top tier by the show's viewing audience. Then three contestants were wild card choices selected by the judges Jennifer Lopez, Stephen Tyler and Randy Jackson to stay on the show.

The party attracted students from high schools, middle schools, their parents and family.

A Leesburg High graduate, Phillips inspired a couple students to sport "Team Phillips" T-shirts of their own design.

"He has a really wonderful voice," said Kim Bradley, one of those Team Phillips members. With her was teammate Amy Sumner, who chimed in, "He has a country-rock voice with a little bit of Dave Matthews."

Phillips wasn't just an imitation Matthews. He carried his own emotional heft. audience members said. Before the announcement that Phillips was in the top 10 came, Judy Powell said she liked his music, but there was more to it for local residents.

"I'm here to support Phillip. He sings so well that I can't help but like his music," Powell said. "He is just a local guy making good and that makes us all feel good."

It was also a good night to celebrate for Phillips' family. His sister LaDonna Urick hugged family and friends in red Phillips T-shirts at two tables.

"I am just so excited for him," said Urick. "It is about somebody from our hometown. It gives everyone a good feeling."

Powell, after hearing the announcement, summed it up with a big smile and a single word: "Fantastic!"

Comments

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Phillips, the next new American Idol? I don't know, haven't heard him sing, but he must be pretty good to make the final 24. Top 10 to be exact. Good luck Phillip!

KaosinAlbany 2 years, 1 month ago

VSU - He does have an amazing voice. I saw him perform with G&S Experience and they rocked Casa Tapatia that night. You need to hear him sing. He'll make your jaw drop.

Go Phillip!!!!!! You are our American Idol!!!!!!!!!

VSU 2 years, 1 month ago

Well then I just need to make sure I watch and put in my vote. It would be awesome to have an American Idol winning from this area. In fact, it's awesome that he made the final 24. Then on the final 3, AI cameras would have Leesburg on camera as he makes his homecoming. Now that would be awesome.

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

He is really fantastic and yes, he does have and amazing voice. If you can, YouTube a Dave Matthews song, maybe one called So Much To Say.....watch the footwork......you will see how Phillip channels him....he is amazing..........or this URL for another one...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSPECz...

I am just amazed at his talent. As one who remembers Dave Matthews in his very early days in Virginia working in Miller's Bar in Charlottesville, I see a lot of him in Phillip and I hope for this young man the same success that Dave has. Phillip is truly talented and seems to be such a gentleman. GOOD LUCK PHILLIP..........

tywebb 2 years, 1 month ago

i think the best thing about him is his humbleness. He seems to be totally honored to be on the show. His singing is excellent, but his attitude is even better.

TrixibelleBento 2 years, 1 month ago

I haven't watched Idol so far this year, but I watched Philip sing on YouTube. He reminds me of a cross between Dave Matthews and John Mayer. He definitely has talent and I'm glad that one of "our boys" has made it in the top 10. He may get a record deal out of the show even if he doesn't win. Make us proud Philip!

coachjohnson42 2 years, 1 month ago

He is not going to win....but I am glad someone from SW Georgia is in the top 10........

agirl_25 2 years, 1 month ago

Don't be so negative...I hope you have to eat those words..please don't have such a negative attitude...he is really great. It is so nice to see such a clean cut young man up on stage representing Southwest Georgia and not some nasty thug with a nasty looking gold grill in his mouth, wearing dark glasses thinking he looks cool, swaggering on to stage, grabbing his crotch and yanking his low slung pants up...at least we don't have to look at those nasty stringy weaves hanging down or look at some spiked red and green hair punked out kid with studs thru his lips, nose and cheeks, screaming and yelling the words to a song that has no meaning with words we don't understand and don't even care about. But yes, I agree....I too am glad someone from SW Georgia is in the top 10. I have friends all over the world and I am e-mailing them to YouTube Phillip and take a look at what a talented young man he is. I am very proud of him.....so pfffttttt..Now don't be so negative!!! VOTE FOR HIM!!!!!